PDA

View Full Version : Engagementringwimb - Some questions, if I may?

Rich
12-16-2016, 12:21 PM
- What is the benefit of Platinum over 18k white gold?

- How many carats should the diamond be, at a minimum. Would a 0.5 carat diamond look silly small if surrounded with a band of tiny diamonds (halo ring)?

- Is there any specific jewelers that offer more ring for your pound or are they all much of a muchness?

- Is there much value in buying used (don't like the thought of a ring being previously owned by someone else, tbh).

Asking for a friend.

Ash
12-16-2016, 12:36 PM

- How many carats should the diamond be, at a minimum. Would a 0.5 carat diamond look silly small if surrounded with a band of tiny diamonds (halo ring)?

- Is there any specific jewelers that offer more ring for your pound or are they all much of a muchness?

- Is there much value in buying used (don't like the thought of a ring being previously owned by someone else, tbh).

Asking for a friend.

I recommend ....

... watching the Dave Gorman from the other week on why engagement rings are a rip off. Diamonds are neither rare, nor beautiful. The eye cannot tell the difference between a real and fake.

PSRB
12-16-2016, 12:37 PM

Asking for a friend.

White Gold needs regular (every year) dipping otherwise it starts to lose it's colour and can cause irritation.

Hatton Garden is your best bet

Anything over a carat starts to look a bit too bling, imo. Buy a better cut, colour, clarity than worrying about size

Rich
12-16-2016, 12:38 PM
I recommend ....

... watching the Dave Gorman from the other week on why engagement rings are a rip off. Diamonds are neither rare, nor beautiful. The eye cannot tell the difference between a real and fake.

Happy Friday to you too, A.

PSRB
12-16-2016, 12:39 PM
I recommend ....

That's like wearing a fake watch though, you know it's a fake and therefore it doesn't give you that same feeling that wearing something genuine does

SWv2
12-16-2016, 12:50 PM

Asking for a friend.

Just let your missus pick it and stop being an incorrigible prick.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
12-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Just let your missus/mister pick it and stop being an incorrigible prick.
Diversity, SW.

Ash
12-16-2016, 01:15 PM
That's like wearing a fake watch though, you know it's a fake and therefore it doesn't give you that same feeling that wearing something genuine does

I am unaware of this feeling, but I'll take your word for it.

Sir C
12-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Asking for a friend.

A gentleman will present his prospective bride with a family piece, naturally.

The lower orders, or ex-gentlemen now engaged in trade and other such vulgarities, are advised to spend around one month's gross salary on the item. As far as the design of the piece is concerned, those lacking an established family jeweller should visit Bond St and discuss the matter with the good people at Cartier and Asprey; they will have appropriate classic pieces which will avoid any possible flashiness or ostentation.

One does not recommend Hatton Garden, for many of the artisans plying their trade there are the hebrew faith and therefore prone to dishonest dealings.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 02:32 PM
I am unaware of this feeling, but I'll take your word for it.

It's rather like appreciating the difference between The Who and Oasis.

Sir C
12-16-2016, 02:38 PM
It's rather like appreciating the difference between The Who and Oasis.

But one sometimes wishs for a burger in preference to fillet steak.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 02:53 PM
But one sometimes wishs for a burger in preference to fillet steak.

Right. Of course.

Sir C
12-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Right. Of course.

Yes, so sometimes one feels the urge to leave the Panerai in the safe and sport the fake Rolex.

Hold on, my argument is bollócks.

Ash
12-16-2016, 03:03 PM
The lower orders, or ex-gentlemen now engaged in trade and other such vulgarities, are advised to spend around one month's gross salary on the item.

This 'recommendation' was invented by de Beers for their advertising.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Yes, so sometimes one feels the urge to leave the Panerai in the safe and sport the fake Rolex.

Hold on, my argument is bollócks.

No, it's about appreciating the difference and also the fact that the world may actually be a better place, for the availability of either and both.

Sir C
12-16-2016, 03:09 PM
This 'recommendation' was invented by de Beers for their advertising.

Someone had to invent it a, and why shouldn't it be the bright chaps at de Beers? After all, they knew a thing or two about diamonds, you know.

In music news, last night I dreamt that I was at a party with my mum and Rod Stewart. Rod spend ages trying to persuade me that he wrote Handbags and Gladrags, a contention I started off disputing but, after several hours of Rod imploring me to believe him, had me doubting myself.

Then Rod turned into Jeff Beck and played the introduction to a song with a sort of "Eh? Eh? Whaddabout this one, eh?" look on his face but I'd never heard it.

As an expert musician, a, how would you interpret the meaning of this dream?

PSRB
12-16-2016, 03:10 PM
No, it's about appreciating the difference and also the fact that the world may actually be a better place, for the availability of either and both.

I've never understood the point in fake designer goods. Why bother? People always tell you it's a fake anyway.
Chap 1: "Nice Rolex"
Chap 2: "It's a fake"
Chap 1: "Well why the **** are you wearing it if you're just going to say it's a fake, why not just wear a casio"

Sir C
12-16-2016, 03:13 PM
I've never understood the point in fake designer goods. Why bother? People always tell you it's a fake anyway.
Chap 1: "Well why the **** are you wearing it if you're just going to say it's a fake, why not just wear a casio"

I have a friend with a collection of about 10 Breitlings, amongst which is one (very convincing) fake. He keeps it on the grounds that, if one day it all goes to shít and he has to sell them, he might be able to sneak that one in with the others.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 03:14 PM

Oh, yes, but if you put it like that, is it only nice *because* it's a Rolex :rubchin:

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 03:15 PM
I have a friend with a collection of about 10 Breitlings, amongst which is one (very convincing) fake. He keeps it on the grounds that, if one day it all goes to shít and he has to sell them, he might be able to sneak that one in with the others.

Claiming an item to be a fake seems to me a shrood way of avoiding having it stolen?

Ash
12-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Someone had to invent it a, and why shouldn't it be the bright chaps at de Beers? After all, they knew a thing or two about diamonds, you know.

In music news, last night I dreamt that I was at a party with my mum and Rod Stewart. Rod spend ages trying to persuade me that he wrote Handbags and Gladrags, a contention I started off disputing but, after several hours of Rod imploring me to believe him, had me doubting myself.

Then Rod turned into Jeff Beck and played the introduction to a song with a sort of "Eh? Eh? Whaddabout this one, eh?" look on his face but I'd never heard it.

I think it means that Rod Stewart is a bit of a croaky-voiced, fake-scotch cùnt, and that you might have written a new Yardbirds song.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Sound advises, imo. You do have your moments, don't you.

Ash
12-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Claiming an item to be a fake seems to me a shrood way of avoiding having it stolen?

Didn't forgeries by the painter Elmyr become so valuable they were actually worth more than they would if they had been by the actual artist?

And Elmyr was sung about in "No More Heroes".

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Didn't forgeries by the painter Elmyr become so valuable they were actually worth more than they would if they had been by the actual artist?

And Elmyr was sung about in "No More Heroes".

That's right. Whatever happened to them :-)

SWv2
12-16-2016, 03:32 PM

My Mrs went to see Rod a few weeks ago with the mother in law.

I stayed at home.

Ash
12-16-2016, 03:40 PM
That's right. Whatever happened to them :-)

They watched their Rome burn.

Straglers are still going. :-) Saw 'em earlier this year. I can't believe Jet Black's not dead yet.

Ash
12-16-2016, 03:42 PM
My Mrs went to see Rod a few weeks ago with the mother in law.

I stayed at home.

He's from Upper Holloway. :-( I heard a cover of Maggie May the other day and quite liked it. It just his voice that I find so painful. Maybe he was a decent songwriter.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
12-16-2016, 03:45 PM
I can't believe Jet Black's not dead yet.
Next year, A. I saw em as well earlier this year, on the beach in Perranporth. I was very impressed, no JB though :-(
They were much better than The Waterboys who headlined and were, frankly, poor.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 03:51 PM
They watched their Rome burn.

Straglers are still going. :-) Saw 'em earlier this year. I can't believe Jet Black's not dead yet.

Did you ever "see" this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsXAUdN-FYg

SWv2
12-16-2016, 03:51 PM
He's from Upper Holloway. :-( I heard a cover of Maggie May the other day and quite liked it. It just his voice that I find so painful. Maybe he was a decent songwriter.

Couple of Faces tunes I can take though oddly enough my fav of them all has Ronnie Lane on the mic.

The Dublin gig saw mass sing and sway-a-long scenarios to Sailing, Do You Think I’m Sexy and others. Can you simply ****ing imagine how grim that must have been.

The Mrs got absolutely twisted to see it through.

SWv2
12-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Next year, A. I saw em as well earlier this year, on the beach in Perranporth. I was very impressed, no JB though :-(

What was this occasion?

I see such events advertised in the Guardian on a saturday, a clutch of bands from the 80s or before.

Ash
12-16-2016, 03:53 PM

I don't think he's played on the last two tours. RIP Jet in advance.

Ash
12-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Did you ever "see" this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsXAUdN-FYg

No. Will have a listen later :thumbup:

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 03:59 PM

Yeah, sure. Someone in that gang must've been. "You Wear it Well" etc.

Except for the one they stole off Bobby Womack, of course.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 04:00 PM
No. Will have a listen later :thumbup:

It's Hugh Cornwell on TMS, just so you know.

SWv2
12-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Yeah, sure. Someone in that gang must've been. "You Wear it Well" etc.

Dexys have a rather magnificent version of this song on their most recent LP. Check it out, as the kids say.

Sir C
12-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Couple of Faces tunes I can take though oddly enough my fav of them all has Ronnie Lane on the mic.

The Dublin gig saw mass sing and sway-a-long scenarios to Sailing, Do You Think I’m Sexy and others. Can you simply ****ing imagine how grim that must have been.

The Mrs got absolutely twisted to see it through.

I'd say his work with the Faces exhibits one of the great white soul voices of rock n roll history.

You needn't agree, naturally.

PSRB
12-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Oh, yes, but if you put it like that, is it only nice *because* it's a Rolex :rubchin:

I was merely using Rolex as an example, it could easily be Louis Vitton, Hermes, Omega, etc. Either save for the real thing or just wear/use something you like

SWv2
12-16-2016, 04:07 PM
I'd say his work with the Faces exhibits one of the great white soul voices of rock n roll history.

You needn't agree, naturally.

As previously stated, I don't have any dislike for them but am not enough of a student of their work to profess extreme knowledge.

Sir C
12-16-2016, 04:10 PM
As previously stated, I don't have any dislike for them but am not enough of a student of their work to profess extreme knowledge.

The band the Stones could have been, if the Stones had had a bit more talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrOPJXrUWII

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Dexys have a rather magnificent version of this song on their most recent LP. Check it out, as the kids say.

Foul. Horrid. My wife nearly threw me out of the room and bashed up my computer :-|

SWv2
12-16-2016, 04:17 PM
The band the Stones could have been, if the Stones had had a bit more talent.

I would always have thought you to be a Stones man.

This is my thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cn_sCdAlD4

SWv2
12-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Foul. Horrid. My wife nearly threw me out of the room and bashed up my computer :-|

Steady on now. Simply magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_7l9X7_RA

Sir C
12-16-2016, 04:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_7l9X7_RA

Good Lord.

That's taken the shine off my Friday feeling :-(

SWv2
12-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Good Lord.

That's taken the shine off my Friday feeling :-(

I met him in Dublin not long ago, had a lovely chat with him. He probably thought I was a weirdo to be fair as it was 8:30 in the am.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 04:23 PM
I was merely using Rolex as an example, it could easily be Louis Vitton, Hermes, Omega, etc. Either save for the real thing or just wear/use something you like

That's right. Sometimes all these brands and labels just expose people's shallowness.

It's the same with dogs; people banging on about pedigrees who have no idea what it even means and wouldn't even know the difference between an Alsatian and an Elkhound.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 04:27 PM

I like them, but that was awful. Let The Rod (and The Faces) show everyone how it's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqNUwNNkTo

Sir C
12-16-2016, 04:33 PM
I would always have thought you to be a Stones man.

This is my thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cn_sCdAlD4

I've always been an admirer of keef and Ronnie as musicians, but Jagger's voice makes me want to stick screwdrivers in my ears. And that live image, prancing like a tít... Not for me, Clive.

That's aother great song, but of course lacks Rod's vocals.

redgunamo
12-16-2016, 04:35 PM
I've always been an admirer of keef and Ronnie as musicians, but Jagger's voice makes me want to stick screwdrivers in my ears. And that live image, prancing like a tít... Not for me, Clive.

That's aother great song, but of course lacks Rod's vocals.

With you there 100%. Jagger's a cool bloke though, just not his voice.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
12-16-2016, 08:07 PM

Sensible advice, Mr Williams

Mo Britain less Europe
12-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Don't give her the ring till the night before the wedding. I've been engaged four times. I should know.

barrybueno
12-17-2016, 10:52 AM
ok Delboy :)

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
12-17-2016, 03:10 PM

Asking for a friend.

Rich, buy online from the states. Even with import duty, it's much cheaper.

I'd got my beloved a diamond ear-stud* set in white gold, about 1/3rd of a carat DIF. {highest category, D colour (the top) and Internally Flawless (IF)} which got nicked or lost in India and I had to get a replacement.

De Beers (who I'd got 3 rings off in the past, all white gold with diamonds, who'd cleaned said ear-stud for us before even though we'd bought it at duty free) and they were quoting us around £4k, as were the other London jewellers I checked.

I found this place in the states online who sold the diamonds as well as rings etc. I got a 0.4 carat DIF with excellent cut (the best) for about £2k, including the 23% import taxes (made up of two separate things) and they set it into a white gold stud for free, with a screw on back so it won't ever leave her ear again (Ganpati willing.) All with the GIA certificate so the diamond has its own number.

If you want me to try and find the website for you, I will. They had online text chat etc, and the lady was really helpful. I left a review for them as asked, and read some of the others. All were as +ve as mine. I don't normally like yanks, but this lot were excellent and I'd thoroughly recommend them.

So if you want me to try and find it, let me know and I'll try.

*We call it an Manikaran. That means ear jewel in Hindi. There's a village of that name in the Parvati Valley in the Himalayas (the Valley starts at Bhuntar on the road going north from Delhi, about an hour short of Manali.) Parvati lost her ear jewel there and Shiva asked the river to give it back, but it wouldn't. So (according to the sign on the small Hindu temple there) Shiva went up to the mountains and made puja by smoking chillums of charras for 13,000 years and came back full of prana (spiritual energy.)

Using this force, he ordered Sheshnag, the serpent deity in the river, to give him the manikaran back. "Sheshnag hissed thereby giving rise to a flow of boiling water. The water spread over the entire area resulting in the emergence of precious stones of the type Goddess Parvati had lost." And it kept giving jewels (people would find them regularly) until some earthquake in 1907 stopped it. But the whole place is full of natural hot springs from Sheshnag's hissing. The giant Sikh temple (or Gurdwara - it's the 4th holiest site in Sikhism) has a huge male (and separate small female) waist deep pool inside it. It's probably my favourite place in the whole world. There's a bridge from that part of the temple to the other side where there's a open pool where you can go mixed.

Anyway, that's why we had to get the manikaran. If you want me to try and find the yank jewellers website let me know and I'll look. You'll get your diamonds for about half the price of London. (Though the Brexit pound collapse will have changed this a bit. But you'd be silly not to look first.)

Personally, we prefer white gold to platinum. If you look at De Beers et al, they always use white gold. (oh, and if it was up to me, I'd just buy the best and biggest diamond your budget will allow, and just have that alone on a white gold ring without any halo of little diamonds. The classic look.)