PDA

View Full Version : Has it now become a bit boring to follow Arsenal?

Bergkamp Was Best
12-14-2016, 08:49 AM
The way our recent seasons tend to unfold has become very predictable, floating around in the top 4 league places but never managing to eventually finish top.

Has this trend made us...well...a bit boring to follow? :rubchin:

Lady Henry AKA The African Queen
12-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Frustrating yes, boring no.
We still produce some of the most scintillating football on the planet when focused.

I doubt we will top the tree again with the current boss althought that said, I think this year is even more open than last.
If he doesn't do it this year, he should bow out gracefully.

Pat Vegas
12-14-2016, 10:30 AM
I think so. The past 5 years especially when top 4 is the only priority.

It has been a bit better with the arrival of Ozil and Sanchez as they are exciting players.
You could have messi in this team and I don't think things would change much.

Sir C
12-14-2016, 10:36 AM
The way our recent seasons tend to unfold has become very predictable, floating around in the top 4 league places but never managing to eventually finish top.

Well we don't know yet that we're finishing top, do we? It's only December and we've only lost twice.

God help us if we were West Ham or Ipswich Town.

World's End Stella
12-14-2016, 10:41 AM
I've certainly lost interest over the past 5-6 years.

I never go anymore and generally only have a passing interest in the game unless it's Chelsea or Spurs. Perhaps we're just getting old, BWB? Outwardly supporting a football club really is a young man's game, I think.

Unless you're some sort of anti-social deviant, of course.

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 10:41 AM

"Boring" is a bit strong, I think. Certainly though, we've come down from the triple high of going unbeaten, reaching the Champions League final and moving to a new stadium all in a short space of time.

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 10:42 AM

I never go anymore and generally only have a passing interest in the game unless it's Chelsea or Spurs. Perhaps we're just getting old, BWB? Outwardly supporting a football club really is a young man's game, I think.

Money has ruined things, hasn't it.

Sir C
12-14-2016, 10:48 AM

I attended a game quite recently, I think. Bayern away it was. 2013.

Nice couple of days; chilly, but... the Schweinshaxe!

Pat Vegas
12-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Well we don't know yet that we're finishing top, do we? It's only December and we've only lost twice.

Games like last night are a good indication that we will not be finishing top.

Of course teams lose games but I thought we were pretty limp yesterday. And it would have been a excellent opportunity to get some valuable points before a big game against Manchester City.

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 10:55 AM
Games like last night are a good indication that we will not be finishing top.

Of course teams lose games but I thought we were pretty limp yesterday. And it would have been a excellent opportunity to get some valuable points before a big game against Manchester City.

If the Premier League is as competitive as we like to think it is, then it's only right and proper we should lose once in a while, imo. Same as everyone else.

It has no bearing on the Manchester City match though. Different game and a' that.

Pat Vegas
12-14-2016, 10:56 AM
If the Premier League is as competitive as we like to think it is, then it's only right and proper we should lose once in a while, imo. Same as everyone else.

It has no bearing on the Manchester City match though. Different game and a' that.

Well I was thinking we may win the league by accident one year. All teams seem to have slips.
Though Chelsea look good.

But I feel our chance was last season.

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Well I was thinking we may win the league by accident one year. All teams seem to have slips.
Though Chelsea look good.

But I feel our chance was last season.

Seventy-one points is never enough to win anyone the Premier League, P. In fact, we can be grateful it was enough to get us second.

Mo Britain less Europe
12-14-2016, 11:02 AM
People forget each season is different because one tends to blend into another. Last season was not about finishing 4th. by Xmas everyone outside Leicester thought the title was between us and Spurs.

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 11:08 AM
People forget each season is different because one tends to blend into another. Last season was not about finishing 4th. by Xmas everyone outside Leicester thought the title was between us and Spurs.

Other way round, isn't it? Leicester City looked more likely champions than we did precisely because of our past few seasons; they were on a solid run, albeit for *them*, of course, whereas we were still .. well.. The Arsenal.

Mo Britain less Europe
12-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Other way round, isn't it? Leicester City looked more likely champions than we did precisely because of our past few seasons; they were on a solid run, albeit for *them*, of course, whereas we were still .. well.. The Arsenal.

Practically no-one believed Leicester could win it until February or March.

Bergkamp Was Best
12-14-2016, 12:12 PM

There's too many inconsistent performances from certain players to make me think we're good enough to go all the way.

Walcott, Ramsey, Monreal, none of them are good enough for this team now.

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Practically no-one believed Leicester could win it until February or March.

I thought you did, at least? Surely the assumption was that at least one of the favourites would get their act together in time. Similarly, no-one will believe in us again until we do actually win it, despite the fact that at various points, we look as though we might.

Ash
12-14-2016, 12:22 PM
There's too many inconsistent performances from certain players to make me think we're good enough to go all the way.

Did you watch Walcott on Saturday? He was pretty decent, I thought.

Pat Vegas
12-14-2016, 12:26 PM

I think Monreal is very good. Walcott and Ramsey never have long periods of good form

Bergkamp Was Best
12-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Did you watch Walcott on Saturday? He was pretty decent, I thought.

I agree he was decent and scored, last night he was invisible. That kind of sums Walcott up in a nutshell.

Bergkamp Was Best
12-14-2016, 12:31 PM
I think Monreal is very good. Walcott and Ramsey never have long periods of good form

Monreal is good to average with a poor end product, he seldom finds another Arsenal player in the box.

Watch him in the next game and tell me if I'm wrong, he's wastes so many chances down the left hand side.

Pat Vegas
12-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Monreal is good to average with a poor end product, he seldom finds another Arsenal player in the box.

Watch him in the next game and tell me if I'm wrong, he's wastes so many chances down the left hand side.

The problem is there usually isn't any one there in the box.
Unless Giroud is playing.

but I noticed last night when he is overlapping with Sanchez it's a bit confusing and he seems to look for him most of the time. I think it distracts him.

Mo Britain less Europe
12-14-2016, 02:30 PM
I thought you did, at least? Surely the assumption was that at least one of the favourites would get their act together in time. Similarly, no-one will believe in us again until we do actually win it, despite the fact that at various points, we look as though we might.

I merely asked the question at what point did we have to take them seriously. I didn't really believe they would win it then.

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 04:49 PM
I merely asked the question at what point did we have to take them seriously. I didn't really believe they would win it then.

Sorry then. I thought you felt that if nobody else did, then they definately would. If you follow me.

CrossGun
12-14-2016, 11:03 PM

Please stop.

7sisters
12-14-2016, 11:27 PM

Not boring but endlessly predictable. I don't think anyone doubts our capacity to put lesser sides to the sword but somehow a draw or loss against Everton was all too predictable. A loss to City and the pundits who never really fancy us to go all the way will once more feel vindicated in their assessments.. We really should be well adjusted in how this all plays out by now. :sigh:

Tony C
12-16-2016, 09:03 AM
when I was in school one of the other kids was a Palace season ticket holder who would get picked on by the other kids (mostly United fans because they were winning everything at the time) until one teacher pointed out that he was quite lucky because every season was a thriller - either you're fighting it out for promotion or battling away to avoid relegation.

I think that in itself can get a bit too much and at some point you would long for stability...but in our case stability has been replaced with incredibly boring predictability....ground hog day over and over and over and over again...I really hope the Everton defeat isn't the start of the trend we've seen for the last decade.