PDA

View Full Version : The madness has reached Muswell Hill

Monty92
12-09-2016, 12:48 PM
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/muswell-hill-novelty-gift-shop-owner-accused-of-racism-for-selling-britishthemed-wares-a3415201.html

Ash
12-09-2016, 12:58 PM
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/muswell-hill-novelty-gift-shop-owner-accused-of-racism-for-selling-britishthemed-wares-a3415201.html

:hehe: Brexit shop.

Middle class illiberals really are scum, aren't they?

Monty92
12-09-2016, 01:08 PM
:hehe: Brexit shop.

Middle class illiberals really are scum, aren't they?

Will pop in on the weekend and extend my support.

Won't buy any of his appalling tat, obviously.

Brentwood
12-09-2016, 01:11 PM

I can't believe how many have fallen for this PR stunt

Sir C
12-09-2016, 01:11 PM

When I first read that story I thought it was a parody.

I'm wondering if the absurdity is reaching a peak now, as the remaining cultural Marxists themselves kick back at the current backlash against cultural Marxism. If you follow.

Monty92
12-09-2016, 01:12 PM
I can't believe how many have fallen for this PR stunt

All the Facebook comments from locals, too?

Monty92
12-09-2016, 01:15 PM
When I first read that story I thought it was a parody.

I'm wondering if the absurdity is reaching a peak now, as the remaining cultural Marxists themselves kick back at the current backlash against cultural Marxism. If you follow.

Actually, just found this photo of the owner.

Regretably I must withdraw my support on the grounds of offensive 'wackiness' :-(

Brentwood
12-09-2016, 01:22 PM
All the Facebook comments from locals, too?

They only refer to one silly comment made on facebook, which could easily be from the owner trying to drum up some free publicity

Monty92
12-09-2016, 01:24 PM
They only refer to one silly comment made on facebook, which could easily be from the owner trying to drum up some free publicity

No, I believe there have been far more comments on that. In fact I am told Muzzy Hill was trending this morning on Facebook due to the outrage, whatever that means.

World's End Stella
12-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Kinks paraphernalia? :hehe:

This is so obviously a PR job that I'm surprised it isn't on the front of the DM yet.

Luis Anaconda
12-09-2016, 01:32 PM
No, I believe there have been far more comments on that. In fact I am told Muzzy Hill was trending this morning on Facebook due to the outrage, whatever that means.
When you say "I believe" do you simply mean you simple want to believe it or you have seen evidence?

Monty92
12-09-2016, 01:34 PM
When you say "I believe" do you simply mean you simple want to believe it or you have seen evidence?

I've been told by a reliable source

Monty92
12-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Kinks paraphernalia? :hehe:

This is so obviously a PR job that I'm surprised it isn't on the front of the DM yet.

The Kinks were founded in the Clissold Arms down the road

Luis Anaconda
12-09-2016, 01:43 PM
I've been told by a reliable source

Oh well, that's all right then :shrug: it must be true. Funny you were talking about credulity the other day

Monty92
12-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Oh well, that's all right then :shrug: it must be true. Funny you were talking about credulity the other day

If someone I have very little reason to think would lie about this kind of thing tells me they've seen more than one Facebook comment, then why would I not believe?

Brentwood
12-09-2016, 01:54 PM
If someone I have very little reason to think would lie about this kind of thing tells me they've seen more than one Facebook comment, then why would I not believe?

It's such a load of old nonsense that you'll now have people piling in to say they're going to buy stuff from there to spite the libtards, and you'll have trolls provoking a reaction by pretending to be outraged by the shop

There was an article about a council banning Christmas decorations from being hung in communal areas of a council housing block, becasue they are responsible for ensuring exits are kept clear in case of a fire. Straight away the comments under the article were about the real reason being that we can't have the Allans being offended. We seem to love being outraged about things

Luis Anaconda
12-09-2016, 01:56 PM

Amazing that the most incendiary remark that the newspapers run with is this one then (which I agree is a bit silly, but hardly in the realms of you are a racist/tear down your flags):

One man wrote on public Facebook group Muswell Hill and Friends: "Chris, while I applaud you setting up a business in Muswell Hill and employing local people I'm curious as to why you decided to call your shop 'Really British' (besides the obvious point that you will sell British-made goods)?

"Like many people I live in London because of its international nature, and for me personally having a big sign on the Broadway saying 'Really British' makes me feel you're implying that other local businesses in the area are therefore somehow 'not really British'.

"Some will no doubt say I'm over-sensitive.

"But I can't help thinking that given the recent divisive referendum and the current political climate you might have chosen a more inclusive name in 2016."

All else is heresay from a man whose products are now splashed all over at least four national newspapers.

Brentwood
12-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Amazing that the most incendiary remark that the newspapers run with is this one then (which I agree is a bit silly, but hardly in the realms of you are a racist/tear down your flags):

One man wrote on public Facebook group Muswell Hill and Friends: "Chris, while I applaud you setting up a business in Muswell Hill and employing local people I'm curious as to why you decided to call your shop 'Really British' (besides the obvious point that you will sell British-made goods)?

"Like many people I live in London because of its international nature, and for me personally having a big sign on the Broadway saying 'Really British' makes me feel you're implying that other local businesses in the area are therefore somehow 'not really British'.

"Some will no doubt say I'm over-sensitive.

"But I can't help thinking that given the recent divisive referendum and the current political climate you might have chosen a more inclusive name in 2016."

All else is heresay from a man whose products are now splashed all over at least four national newspapers.

I'm surprised he didn't tweet himself a death threat for good measure

Sir C
12-09-2016, 02:04 PM
It's such a load of old nonsense that you'll now have people piling in to say they're going to buy stuff from there to spite the libtards, and you'll have trolls provoking a reaction by pretending to be outraged by the shop

There was an article about a council banning Christmas decorations from being hung in communal areas of a council housing block, becasue they are responsible for ensuring exits are kept clear in case of a fire. Straight away the comments under the article were about the real reason being that we can't have the Allans being offended. We seem to love being outraged about things

They're banning christmas, you say? Outrageous.

SWv2
12-09-2016, 02:20 PM
I saw an article on this dude earlier in the week, he sells The Jam mugs from which one can enjoy tea or coffee.

I have one and can recommend them as a Xmas present for friend or family.

Burney
12-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Regretably I must withdraw my support on the grounds of offensive 'wackiness' :-(

I certainly wouldn't let any child enter his shop unaccompanied, put it that way.

Burney
12-09-2016, 02:29 PM
They're banning christmas, you say? Outrageous.

Santa will have to wear a burka next - you mark my words.

World's End Stella
12-09-2016, 02:35 PM
I saw an article on this dude earlier in the week, he sells The Jam mugs from which one can enjoy tea or coffee.

I have one and can recommend them as a Xmas present for friend or family.

Does the mug have a picture on it of that bloke from Woking that looks like a lesbian? Not what you want to look at first thing in the morning imo.

Ash
12-09-2016, 02:37 PM

My word. Now there's a reason to boycott his shop. Certainly wouldn't advise kids to enter.

SWv2
12-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Does the mug have a picture on it of that bloke from Woking that looks like a lesbian? Not what you want to look at first thing in the morning imo.

Good god no, even I draw the line there.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shopkeeper-branded-racist-after-opening-9416077

You know, and I think you may have already pointed this out, the whole thing really is a marketing and PR masterpiece.