I wonder if he did a 20 minute dying solo

Burney
12-08-2016, 12:22 PM

Palmer must be bricking it imo.

Burney
12-08-2016, 12:23 PM

Actually, that's a point. They are actually dying in the order of the band name.

TheCurly
12-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Actually, that's a point. They are actually dying in the order of the band name.

That's right.I forgot young Emerson shot himself in the face

Burney
12-08-2016, 12:28 PM
That's right.I forgot young Emerson shot himself in the face

If they'd thought about it, they could all have died at the same time and had fück-off massive hearses with their names on the top bombing down the M1 to the funeral.

Luis Anaconda
12-08-2016, 12:29 PM

Death is having such a bumper year he was in danger of getting both confused and ahead of himself

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-west-brom-star-carlton-12280205

Sir C
12-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Should have hung on until January tbh. He's going to miss out on his royalties from this christmas.

Burney
12-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Death is having such a bumper year he was in danger of getting both confused and ahead of himself

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-west-brom-star-carlton-12280205

That's true, actually. I've lost track of who's died to such an extent that I'm thinking there might be some value in an end of year quiz where celebrities have to remember who did and didn't die in 2016.

They could call it 'Dead or Alive?' and it could be hosted by Pete Bur...oh, hang on.

Burney
12-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Should have hung on until January tbh. He's going to miss out on his royalties from this christmas.

It's a bold bid for the Christmas Number One Slot, though, you have to say. Whoever owns the rights (probably not Greg or his estate) must be rubbing their hands.

Viva Prat Vegas
12-08-2016, 12:33 PM

Surgeon Graham Taylor saved his life
"Carlton Carlton Carlton "

Burney
12-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Surgeon Graham Taylor saved his life
"Carlton Carlton Carlton "

He never really played like his heart rate got much above that of a hibernating bear, to be honest.

Luis Anaconda
12-08-2016, 12:36 PM
That's true, actually. I've lost track of who's died to such an extent that I'm thinking there might be some value in an end of year quiz where celebrities have to remember who did and didn't die in 2016.

They could call it 'Dead or Alive?' and it could be hosted by Pete Bur...oh, hang on.

:hehe: I'd forgotten that one as well

Sir C
12-08-2016, 12:38 PM
It's a bold bid for the Christmas Number One Slot, though, you have to say. Whoever owns the rights (probably not Greg or his estate) must be rubbing their hands.

I must say that even for a chap with prog tendencies, In The CourtOf The Crimson King is bloated bóllocks.

Viva Prat Vegas
12-08-2016, 12:38 PM
:hehe: I'd forgotten that one as well

Paperboy enemy Ronnie Corbett died this year

Burney
12-08-2016, 12:42 PM
I must say that even for a chap with prog tendencies, In The CourtOf The Crimson King is bloated bóllocks.

Let's not bring bloated böllocks into it. :-(

Yes. I like bits and bobs of prog, but in the main, it's the most fearful tosh. If you ask me, there's a very good reason why pop music has evolved to be between three and four minutes.

Ash
12-08-2016, 02:04 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/In_the_Court_of_the_Crimson_King_-_40th_Anniversary_Box_Set_-_Front_cover.jpeg

Ash
12-08-2016, 02:08 PM

It has some wonderful moments. Mainly Greg's bits on Schizoid Man, actually. Such voluble glee, and an inspiration. Makes me happy just playing them in my head. :-)

Ash
12-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Let's not bring bloated böllocks into it. :-(

Yes. I like bits and bobs of prog, but in the main, it's the most fearful tosh. If you ask me, there's a very good reason why pop music has evolved to be between three and four minutes.

But prog isn't pop music. :shrug:

Sir C
12-08-2016, 02:12 PM

Leave him a. He doesn't even like Wind & Wuthering :shrug:

Burney
12-08-2016, 02:16 PM

Of course it is. It just thinks it isn't.

Ash
12-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Well, we're talking definitions here. To play in a band with Robert Fripp you basically had to be a musician of classical ability. Just because electricity is involved in the amplification of the sound doesn't make it pop music.

Burney
12-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Well, we're talking definitions here. To play in a band with Robert Fripp you basically had to be a musician of classical ability. Just because electricity is involved in the amplification of the sound doesn't make it pop music.

Certainly it's what happens when classical training meets pop instruments, techniques and sensibilities, but that doesn't make it any less pop music to my mind. It has drums and guitars.

Still, it could be worse. What usually happens in those situations is... :shudder: ...jazz. :-(

Sir C
12-08-2016, 02:51 PM

You speak awfully authoritatively here about a term which has no strict definition, unless you've made one up for yourself?

Burney
12-08-2016, 02:52 PM
You speak awfully authoritatively here about a term which has no strict definition, unless you've made one up for yourself?

I think as both Ash and I tacitly acknowledge, our definitions are of necessity subjective.

Sir C
12-08-2016, 02:53 PM
I think as both Ash and I tacitly acknowledge, our definitions are of necessity subjective.

:clap: You have just argued thast prog is definitely pop music, because pop music is what you say it is. :clap:

Never change, man.

redgunamo
12-08-2016, 02:55 PM

Is pop music a specific style then, rather than simply being a style of music that is .. well, *popular*?

World's End Stella
12-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Certainly it's what happens when classical training meets pop instruments, techniques and sensibilities, but that doesn't make it any less pop music to my mind. It has drums and guitars.

Still, it could be worse. What usually happens in those situations is... :shudder: ...jazz. :-(

You don't like jazz, Burney? How strange, I would have thought otherwise.

Billie's voice on I Cover the Waterfront, Stan's sax on The Girl from Ipanema, Miles' trumpet on Freddie Freeloader, Byrd's intro in Dancing in the Dark...I could go on and on and on and on.

Truly wonderful things, Burney.

Burney
12-08-2016, 02:57 PM
:clap: You have just argued thast prog is definitely pop music, because pop music is what you say it is. :clap:

Never change, man.

Well it is! It was listened to by spotty herberts with long hair, has drums, guitars and the acts appeared on Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test. What the fück else is it if it isn't a variant of pop music? :shrug:

Sir C
12-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Well it is! It was listened to by spotty herberts with long hair, has drums, guitars and the acts appeared on Top of the Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test. What the fück else is it if it isn't a variant of pop music? :shrug:

Tremendous stuff, do go on... tell us more about these 'herberts', the presence of whom appears to precisely define the largest and most diverse artform and cultural activity of the last century. Perhaps you might dismiss Jason Donovan and Bob Dylan as two cheeks of the same árse?

Burney
12-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Tremendous stuff, do go on... tell us more about these 'herberts', the presence of whom appears to precisely define the largest and most diverse artform and cultural activity of the last century. Perhaps you might dismiss Jason Donovan and Bob Dylan as two cheeks of the same árse?

The arse has multifarious cheeks, but is - nonetheless - all one arse.

(I don't think we have to change 'arse', btw. Would make having an Arsenal message board a bit tricky, after all :-) )

Sir C
12-08-2016, 03:11 PM
The arse has multifarious cheeks, but is - nonetheless - all one arse.

(I don't think we have to change 'arse', btw. Would make having an Arsenal message board a bit tricky, after all :-) )

I rather like identifying naughty words with a little accent. I think it adds something.

Burney
12-08-2016, 03:11 PM

Also, I don't accept that it's the largest and most diverse art form of the last century. Cinema has that one nailed down, I'd say.

Sir C
12-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Also, I don't accept that it's the largest and most diverse art form of the last century. Cinema has that one nailed down, I'd say.

Sheesh, there's no way to define precisely whether it's popular music or cinema which is exactly the 'largest and most diverse' but it barely matters, does it? I mean my point stands if popular music turns out actually to be the second largest and most etc etc.

This is you, this is.

Ash
12-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Is pop music a specific style then, rather than simply being a style of music that is .. well, *popular*?

Well, there's pop and there's pop, you see. Two different venn diagrams. In the broadest sense is Burnely's perception of anything with drums or guitars or that has ever been on TOTP or Whistle Test. This includes jazz, and the St Winnifred's School Choir.

In the more technical sense, as I prefer, the poppiness refers to the (usually commercial) popularity which arises from a certain formula - probably involving a light, catchy tune, about 3mins 20s long, with a 'hook' of a chorus and predictable stucture. It should be easily digestible and not be challenging or difficult or require numerous listenings to understand.

Think of the difference between forwards and forwards. One sort plays around the top of the field and the other scores goals.

Burney
12-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Sheesh, there's no way to define precisely whether it's popular music or cinema which is exactly the 'largest and most diverse' but it barely matters, does it? I mean my point stands if popular music turns out actually to be the second largest and most etc etc.

This is you, this is.

Well if you don't want to be called on it, don't bloody well assert it. Harrumph!

redgunamo
12-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Well, there's pop and there's pop, you see. Two different venn diagrams. In the broadest sense is Burnely's perception of anything with drums or guitars or that has ever been on TOTP or Whistle Test. This includes jazz, and the St Winnifred's School Choir.

In the more technical sense, as I prefer, the poppiness refers to the (usually commercial) popularity which arises from a certain formula - probably involving a light, catchy tune, about 3mins 20s long, with a 'hook' of a chorus and predictable stucture. It should be easily digestible and not be challenging or difficult or require numerous listenings to understand.

Think of the difference between forwards and forwards. One sort plays around the top of the field and the other scores goals.

Right. Very good, but a *forward* is simply a forward that doesn't score enough goals. Are you saying then, that your preferred definition of *pop* music is merely pop music that doesn't shift enough vinyl; it would like to but it can't because it's not actually pop enough?

Ash
12-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Right. Very good, but a *forward* is simply a forward that doesn't score enough goals. Are you saying then, that your preferred definition of *pop* music is merely pop music that doesn't shift enough vinyl; it would like to but it can't because it's not actually pop enough?

Yeah, my analogy probably doesn't really stand up to much scrutiny, tbh. It's a bit of a popular analogy rather than one which has great depth.

Think of a song you like which you'd describe as definitely an 'album track' rather than a single. It might be less poppy than the singles on the album, or it just might not be as good. But as you already said you liked it, you must recognise its quality even though it doesn't score as many goals. Mezut Ozil, perhaps, is more of an album track than a single.

Definitions of artistic/creative genres are definitely wierd. :-( Art Deco was around for 40 years before it was even called Art Deco.

redgunamo
12-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Oh, well then, if you are going to get personal then I shall get personal too.

I have a lifelong, implacable hatred for albums because, where I came from, the local, and only, record shop did not stock singles. So I always ended up having to buy whole albums just for the one (possibly two or three or whatever, depending) song I actually liked and wanted to listen to. A complete rip off, of course.

As a matter of principle, I would only ever listen to the chosen tracks however; never the album filler, just the singles. Except on occasions when I was unable to reach the record player in time to change it.

Of course, oddly enough, some of my favourite music has been discovered in this way, simply by being too far away to be able to prevent myself hearing and discovering it, and often many, many years after I had bought the record in the first place :-\

Ash
12-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Oh, well then, if you are going to get personal then I shall get personal too.

I have a lifelong, implacable hatred for albums because, where I came from, the local, and only, record shop did not stock singles. So I always ended up having to buy whole albums just for the one (possibly two or three or whatever, depending) song I actually liked and wanted to listen to. A complete rip off, of course.

As a matter of principle, I would only ever listen to the chosen tracks however; never the album filler, just the singles. Except on occasions when I was unable to reach the record player in time to change it.

Of course, oddly enough, some of my favourite music has been discovered in this way, simply by being too far away to be able to prevent myself hearing and discovering it, and often many, many years after I had bought the record in the first place :-\

:hehe: :hehe: