PDA

View Full Version : I haven't particularly followed the Julian Assange rape story

Monty92
12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
closely or indeed the Wikileaks story itself, but Deborah Orr's attempt to squeeze a 'rape culture' narrative out of this seems tenuous to say the least.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/07/julian-assange-empathy-women-wikileaks

She seems to be saying that men who have sex with women who beg them for sex but display evidence of being mentally unhinged are part of rape culture.

If we're not even allowed to have sex with mentally unhinged women anymore, then that's basically a lifetime of celibacy for all of us, isn't it? :-(

Burney
12-08-2016, 10:17 AM
closely or indeed the Wikileaks story itself, but Deborah Orr's attempt to squeeze a 'rape culture' narrative out of this seems tenuous to say the least.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/07/julian-assange-empathy-women-wikileaks

She seems to be saying that men who have sex with women who beg them for sex but display evidence of being mentally unhinged are part of rape culture.

If we're not even allowed to have sex with mentally unhinged women anymore, then that's basically a lifetime of celibacy for all of us, isn't it? :-(

Even if the whole argument weren't arrant nonsense, it's patently absurd to suggest that the fact that someone's sexual behaviour may have occasionally been morally dubious means they're more likely to commit rape.

Sir C
12-08-2016, 10:20 AM

He's clearly a sex case, just look at him! :judge: Take him down.

Burney
12-08-2016, 10:25 AM
He's clearly a sex case, just look at him! :judge: Take him down.

One could argue, of course, that the desire to have sex with the grubby little freak is de facto evidence of mental illness.

eastgermanautos
12-08-2016, 10:28 AM

My preference is for strippers. That said, there is certainly no shortage of strippers.

Monty92
12-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Even if the whole argument weren't arrant nonsense, it's patently absurd to suggest that the fact that someone's sexual behaviour may have occasionally been morally dubious means they're more likely to commit rape.

I think she’s saying that there’s a general acceptance that morally dubious sexual behaviour is just “men being men” and that this creates a climate in which rapists may feel more empowered and justified to rape.

Which is basically saying that because some men are scum of the earth, the rest of us have to rein our dicks in and never take advantage of women’s sexual incontinence. Which seems deeply unfair.

Sir C
12-08-2016, 10:30 AM
My preference is for strippers. That said, there is certainly no shortage of strippers.

You have bizarre laws about strippers, don't you? No booze and no minge, if I recall correctly.

One guesses that these terms are enshrined in the constitution or some such nonsense. Strange culture.

eastgermanautos
12-08-2016, 10:38 AM
You have bizarre laws about strippers, don't you? No booze and no minge, if I recall correctly.

One guesses that these terms are enshrined in the constitution or some such nonsense. Strange culture.

That's why I dipped in whilst I was in London. This was at the suggestion of an investor. Stripper culture is very positive in England/the Continent. All these girls are from Poland, Romania, the Ukraine, etc. And while they have a slightly pissed-off air to them, you don't feel that you're going to get killed. Not quite the same in LA, where the Hispanic girls, hot as they are, are protected by a sense of overarching gang ties. Pursue them, and suddenly you have the Avenues Gang on your ass.

Pat Vegas
12-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Surprisingly I haven't really looked into this and formed my own story from some gossip I heard.

Isn't the charge she said said no halfway through and he did an extra thrust?
Or is that a different story?

Bit like when you fell unconscious in the hot tub.

Burney
12-08-2016, 10:43 AM
I think she’s saying that there’s a general acceptance that morally dubious sexual behaviour is just “men being men” and that this creates a climate in which rapists may feel more empowered and justified to rape.

Which is basically saying that because some men are scum of the earth, the rest of us have to reign our dicks in and never take advantage of women’s sexual incontinence. Which seems deeply unfair.

You see, I reject that 'scum of the earth' thing. I don't know a man whose sexual record is morally spotless. We've all taken advantage of situations to get our ends away - be it going to bed with a drunk woman (not incapable, of course, but far from sober), catching someone who might be emotionally vulnerable in some way due to being on the rebound or homesick or just feeling a bit down and in need of an ego boost for whatever reason.

Are those things sexually exploitative? Only if you start from the premise that the woman has no agency in the liaison and is merely a passive victim of male cunning and lust. That premise is, if you ask me, total balls. The woman is exploiting the situation for her own ends just as much as the man. I therefore utterly reject the concept that being prepared to legitimately exploit a situation for one's sexual or emotional gratification makes one in any way more likely to commit rape.

Monty92
12-08-2016, 10:51 AM
You see, I reject that 'scum of the earth' thing. I don't know a man whose sexual record is morally spotless. We've all taken advantage of situations to get our ends away - be it going to bed with a drunk woman (not incapable, of course, but far from sober), catching someone who might be emotionally vulnerable in some way due to being on the rebound or homesick or just feeling a bit down and in need of an ego boost for whatever reason.

Are those things sexually exploitative? Only if you start from the premise that the woman has no agency in the liaison and is merely a passive victim of male cunning and lust. That premise is, if you ask me, total balls. The woman is exploiting the situation for her own ends just as much as the man. I therefore utterly reject the concept that being prepared to legitimately exploit a situation for one's sexual or emotional gratification makes one in any way more likely to commit rape.

No,I was saying that *actual* rapists are scum of the earth. I was basically making exactly the same points you've just made.

Burney
12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
No,I was saying that *actual* rapists are scum of the earth. I was basically making exactly the same points you've just made.

Sorry, I wasn't taking issue with your point, merely with the deliberate and heavy implications of her article, which seeks to make a link where none exists.

Monty92
12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Surprisingly I haven't really looked into this and formed my own story from some gossip I heard.

Isn't the charge she said said no halfway through and he did an extra thrust?
Or is that a different story?

Bit like when you fell unconscious in the hot tub.

Also, the woman I f*cked who was probably a man. That was surely rape too?

I've been raped twice :-(

Ash
12-08-2016, 02:33 PM

And by denying women agency in such situations it surely demeans them as pathetic creatures incapable of making decisions and being treated as an independent adult. This seems obvious yet the victim-culture version of feminism overlooks it in favour of treating women as mentally-inferior and needing special protection.

redgunamo
12-08-2016, 02:40 PM
And by denying women agency in such situations it surely demeans them as pathetic creatures incapable of making decisions and being treated as an independent adult. This seems obvious yet the victim-culture version of feminism overlooks it in favour of treating women as mentally-inferior and needing special protection.

Of course, because for them it's all about resentment, rather than compassion or anything.