PDA

View Full Version : That Brazil plane crash is sad.

Pat Vegas
11-29-2016, 10:48 AM
But I wonder who are the weirdos who rush to Wikipedia to update peoples profiles to say they are dead.

Monty92
11-29-2016, 10:51 AM
But I wonder who are the weirdos who rush to Wikipedia to update peoples profiles to say they are dead.

Brazilian footballers have always been better on the ground than in the air.

That's the best I can think of, sorry :-(

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:52 AM

I think they take pride in being the first to do it. As you say, weirdos.

I'm going to admit something slightly shameful. After I saw the headline 'Plane crashes in Colombia carrying Brazilian football team', it was something of an anticlimax to realise it was just A Brazilian football team rather than THE Brazilian football team and I sort of lost interest. :-(

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Like all these latins, they go down too easily imo.

Pat Vegas
11-29-2016, 10:53 AM

I'm going to admit something slightly shameful. After I saw the headline 'Plane crashes in Colombia carrying Brazilian football team', it was something of an anticlimax to realise it was just A Brazilian football team rather than THE Brazilian football team and I sort of lost interest. :-(

I just wanted to check in case poor Denilson was on it or something, or perhaps a famous older player.

Pat Vegas
11-29-2016, 10:55 AM

In my search for the latest jokes. I could only find this unrelated won.

What's a Paralympian worst fear?

testing positive for WD40.

Monty92
11-29-2016, 10:56 AM

Reminds me of Frank Skinner talking about when all his American friends started calling him after they heard about the 7/7 London attacks. and how embarrassed he was to admit that fewer than 100 people had died, given that the recent American equivalent had been 3,000.

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:57 AM
In my search for the latest jokes. I could only find this unrelated won.

What's a Paralympian worst fear?

testing positive for WD40.

:hehe: That's actually rather good.

Ash
11-29-2016, 02:29 PM

And the football team were having a great season as well. If they play their cards right, these Chapecoensers could be the biggest club in the world in forty years time.

Buy shares now, Pat, for your retirement.

Burney
11-29-2016, 02:43 PM
And the football team were having a great season as well. If they play their cards right, these Chapecoensers could be the biggest club in the world in forty years time.

Buy shares now, Pat, for your retirement.

You'd be a bit torn if you were a fan of the side they're playing in the final, wouldn't you? On the one hand, terrible tragedy, etc, etc. On the other hand

******FREE SILVERWARE******* :trophy:

eastgermanautos
11-29-2016, 02:59 PM

My BROTHER was on that plane. I am coming to England and I am personally going to gut you like a fish.

Jk, no he wasn't. :hehe: Hell, I don't even have a brother. Never did.

eastgermanautos
11-29-2016, 02:59 PM
My BROTHER was on that plane. I am coming to England and I am personally going to gut you like a fish.

Jk, no he wasn't. :hehe: Hell, I don't even have a brother. Never did.

But I will still follow through on my plan to gut you like a fish. ;-)

Burney
11-29-2016, 03:04 PM
But I will still follow through on my plan to gut you like a fish. ;-)

Given the history of South American sports teams crashing in planes, I was hoping it might end up with people eating each other and make a good movie. No such luck, though.

Monty92
11-29-2016, 03:45 PM
You'd be a bit torn if you were a fan of the side they're playing in the final, wouldn't you? On the one hand, terrible tragedy, etc, etc. On the other hand

Didn't five of them survive? They might still be able to find internal solutions and cobble together a decent team for the final, imo.

Burney
11-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Didn't five of them survive? They might still be able to find internal solutions and cobble together a decent team for the final, imo.

I'm not sure 'survive' is the same as 'match fit', tbh.

eastgermanautos
11-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Given the history of South American sports teams crashing in planes, I was hoping it might end up with people eating each other and make a good movie. No such luck, though.

Right! Good call man. I watched the documentary.

CrossGun
11-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Maybe not?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/29/atletico-nacional-asks-chapecoense-awarded-copa-sudamericana/

Burney
11-30-2016, 09:37 AM
Maybe not?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/29/atletico-nacional-asks-chapecoense-awarded-copa-sudamericana/

Poor show, imo. If I'd bought tickets, I'd want them to put out a team of kids and watch my team thump about 60 past them over two legs. I've no interest in this sentimental nonsense.

Viva Prat Vegas
11-30-2016, 11:55 AM
It will be one leg if the injured keeper plays

Pat Vegas
11-30-2016, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure 'survive' is the same as 'match fit', tbh.

Plane Crash 2-3 weeks.

Pat Vegas
11-30-2016, 11:59 AM
It will be one leg if the injured keeper plays

Still betterer than Craig Forrest

Burney
11-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Plane Crash 2-3 weeks.

'Ze spinal compression 'e suffered on crash landing means he is leetle bit short'

PSRB
11-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Plane Crash 2-3 weeks.

:hehe: vg, p

Sir C
11-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Aeroplane. Aircraft. The 146. Went in. Speared in. Sponged in. Tentpegged.

Burney
11-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Aeroplane. Aircraft. The 146. Went in. Speared in. Sponged in. Tentpegged.

Ah, there you are. What have you been up to?

Sir C
11-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Ah, there you are. What have you been up to?

Laid up ill, I'm afraid. Some sort of dreadful influenza, i have no doubt. (It's a cold, isn't it? :-( )

Burney
11-30-2016, 12:59 PM
Laid up ill, I'm afraid. Some sort of dreadful influenza, i have no doubt. (It's a cold, isn't it? :-( )

There does seem to have been a terrible lurgy at large.

Did you espy the work of the estimable Mr Elfwick on Twitter, by the way?

Sir C
11-30-2016, 01:04 PM
There does seem to have been a terrible lurgy at large.

Did you espy the work of the estimable Mr Elfwick on Twitter, by the way?

I saw something briefly. I'd read the article in the Guardian and never suspected it was a wind up. Indeed, it's still extant. Do we know that Mr Elfwick is speaking true?

Burney
11-30-2016, 01:12 PM
I saw something briefly. I'd read the article in the Guardian and never suspected it was a wind up. Indeed, it's still extant. Do we know that Mr Elfwick is speaking true?

I've no reason to think he's not, since all pretending would achieve would be to make him look silly. And he has form in this department.
The fact that the article is still up may simply be because taking it down would be an admission that they've been hoaxed - something they don't want to acknowledge if they don't have to.
So all in all, I believe him. Mind you, that may just be confirmation bias on my part.

PSRB
11-30-2016, 02:00 PM

3 weeks off work with it and still not feeling 100%....it's really rather unpleasant

Burney
11-30-2016, 02:04 PM
3 weeks off work with it and still not feeling 100%....it's really rather unpleasant

Three weeks!? :yikes: Not to belittle your suffering in any way, old boy, but I took less time off when I had cancer.

Is it the pneumonics you have?

PSRB
11-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Three weeks!? :yikes: Not to belittle your suffering in any way, old boy, but I took less time off when I had cancer.

Proper flu, doc initially signed me off for 4 weeks. Wasn't helped with the additional chest infection and gastric flu at the end. They thought it was Sepsis at first :yikes:

Burney
11-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Proper flu, doc initially signed me off for 4 weeks. Wasn't helped with the additional chest infection and gastric flu at the end. They thought it was Sepsis at first :yikes:

Blimey. So anti-virals and antibiotics, I'm guessing?

Still, I imagine you've lost weight, which is always handy at our age. ;-)

World's End Stella
11-30-2016, 02:36 PM

Well yeah, but let's be honest, some types of cancer have limited side affects and are easily treated and in such a way that the impact on the patient is minimal.

Whereas viruses and infections can leave a chap in agony for some days or weeks. So ner.

World's End Stella
11-30-2016, 02:38 PM

I was off with pneumonia for two weeks a few years back, during April. It was unseasonably warm and sunny and when I returned I had a nice tan and had lost a stone.

Everyone said 'you look great, been away?'. I said 'no, I had pneumonia'. :-\

PSRB
11-30-2016, 02:42 PM

Yep. Lost a stone and stopped smoking, so not all bad

Just antibiotics. Rather annoyingly, I was due to have my flu jab on the day the flu arrived....how I laughed at the irony :-(

Burney
11-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Well yeah, but let's be honest, some types of cancer have limited side affects and are easily treated and in such a way that the impact on the patient is minimal.

Whereas viruses and infections can leave a chap in agony for some days or weeks. So ner.

Gosh, well thank you for your considered opinion on what having cancer is like. I shall bear it in mind in future.

I'm not sure I would describe an orchidectomy, chemotherapy and two years of hospital appointments, check-ups, blood tests and the constant terror of recurrence (resulting, of course, in that pesky 'limited side effect' death) as 'easily treated', but I'm sure you know best.

I've always been thankful that, as these things go, I had a relatively light brush from the cancer stick, but now I've read your wise words, I realise that I was really just being silly to make such a fuss.

Burney
11-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Yep. Lost a stone and stopped smoking, so not all bad

Just antibiotics. Rather annoyingly, I was due to have my flu jab on the day the flu arrived....how I laughed at the irony :-(

I never have a flu jab and haven't had proper flu since I was a kid. My wife always gets it and then spends at least two days off sick in the following week. Anecdotal, of course, but there we are. :shrug:

You gonna stick with the non-smoking? You've basically done the hard bit, so you might as well.

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Gosh, well thank you for your considered opinion on what having cancer is like. I shall bear it in mind in future.

I'm not sure I would describe an orchidectomy, chemotherapy and two years of hospital appointments, check-ups, blood tests and the constant terror of recurrence (resulting, of course, in that pesky 'limited side effect' death) as 'easily treated', but I'm sure you know best.

I've always been thankful that, as these things go, I had a relatively light brush from the cancer stick, but now I've read your wise words, I realise that I was really just being silly to make such a fuss.

No, you're quite right, I reckon. I once broke a leg in a rather complicated fashion and after a couple of weeks of faff, it seemed like half of Harley Street had had its hand up my pipe.

I've distrusted quacks ever since.

PSRB
11-30-2016, 02:59 PM
I never have a flu jab and haven't had proper flu since I was a kid. My wife always gets it and then spends at least two days off sick in the following week. Anecdotal, of course, but there we are. :shrug:

You gonna stick with the non-smoking? You've basically done the hard bit, so you might as well.

Going to try, just hard as I genuinely enjoy smoking but would rather like to not die anytime soon plus the savings are quite significant

Burney
11-30-2016, 03:00 PM
No, you're quite right, I reckon. I once broke a leg in a rather complicated fashion and after a couple of weeks of faff, it seemed like half of Harley Street had had its hand up my pipe.

I've distrusted quacks ever since.

When you say you broke it in a rather complicated fashion, do you mean that it broke in a complicated fashion or that you broke it while trying to do something complicated like an outlandish breakdancing move?

Burney
11-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Going to try, just hard as I genuinely enjoy smoking but would rather like to not die anytime soon plus the savings are quite significant

Yes. It's only taken me about 10 years to stop missing them, but I honestly wouldn't go back. :thumbup:

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 03:06 PM
When you say you broke it in a rather complicated fashion, do you mean that it broke in a complicated fashion or that you broke it while trying to do something complicated like an outlandish breakdancing move?

A bit of both actually, I guess. Fanny-dancing in the middle of the park, showing off a bit, you know. Scrawny, carrot-topped scrote called Hillier (not our one, no relation to him either) cropped me down from behind. I foolishly played on, apparently making it worse :-\

Ash
11-30-2016, 03:08 PM
A bit of both actually, I guess. Fanny-dancing in the middle of the park, showing off a bit, you know. Scrawny, carrot-topped scrote called Hillier (not our one, no relation to him either) cropped me down from behind. I foolishly played on, apparently making it worse :-\

I might have known him. Was it Peter Hillier?

Burney
11-30-2016, 03:10 PM

Hmmm. This is clearly what has given you your mistrust of fanny-dancing midfielders.

Kudos for carrying on Cesc-like, though.

World's End Stella
11-30-2016, 03:11 PM

Well, given that I had no idea what sort of cancer you had nor what treatment you recieved I clearly wasn't commenting on your particular circumstance. And I also wasn't being entirely serious :rolleyes:

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
I might have known him. Was it Peter Hillier?

No, it was actually "David", I'm sorry to say. Not *him* though, of course. I was playing for Cholsey Bluebirds, he was Didcot Something-or-others, I think.

Burney
11-30-2016, 03:19 PM
No, it was actually "David", I'm sorry to say. Not *him* though, of course. I was playing for Cholsey Bluebirds, he was Didcot Something-or-others, I think.

Didcot Diddlers? Didcot Die-Hards? Didcot Power Stations?

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Didcot Diddlers? Didcot Die-Hards? Didcot Power Stations?

Didcot Skunk & Skag-addled Single Mothers' Boyfriends, I think. ****ers.

NTTAWWI, of course.

Burney
11-30-2016, 03:29 PM
Didcot Skunk & Skag-addled Single Mothers' Boyfriends, I think. ****ers.

NTTAWWI, of course.

:hehe: I take it you later hunted the fellow in question down and exacted a painful revenge?

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 03:37 PM
:hehe: I take it you later hunted the fellow in question down and exacted a painful revenge?

Never saw him again, until years later he wound up playing for The Arsenal. Or so I thought :-\

My chap was actually a better player than our one, oddly enough.