PDA

View Full Version : Well my Christmas Day is promising to be thoroughly ****. Me, the missus, the sprogs,

Monty92
11-29-2016, 10:20 AM
the missus’s grandfather who has early on-set dementia, lost his wife 4 months ago and was the world’s most boorish, self-important **** even when he was compos mentis.

And now throw into the mix my mother-in-law who is in the throws of her latest episode of psychotic paranoia and is currently accusing her daughter (my missus) of - among even more outlandish claims - breaking into her house and stealing jewellery.

All of us holed up in a rickety old farm house that hasn't been properly cleaned for about 20 years, eating supermarket food and pretending everything is normal.

:-(

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:26 AM
the missus’s grandfather who has early on-set dementia, lost his wife 4 months ago and was the world’s most boorish, self-important **** even when he was compos mentis.

And now throw into the mix my mother-in-law who is in the throws of her latest episode of psychotic paranoia and is currently accusing her daughter (my missus) of - among even more outlandish claims - breaking into her house and stealing jewellery.

All of us holed up in a rickety old farm house that hasn't been properly cleaned for about 20 years, eating supermarket food and pretending everything is normal.

I think you should plead the Jewishness and say you can't attend for religious reasons.

If it's any consolation, my Christmas also involves a remote farmhouse and loads of inter-family turmoil. Whoop-de-fücking-doo. :-(

Monty92
11-29-2016, 10:32 AM
I think you should plead the Jewishness and say you can't attend for religious reasons.

If it's any consolation, my Christmas also involves a remote farmhouse and loads of inter-family turmoil. Whoop-de-fücking-doo. :-(

It's f*cking jokes man. Literally the binary opposite of how I imagined Christmases being when I had kids, Jeff :-(

Who hates each other in your family?

Pat Vegas
11-29-2016, 10:32 AM

What's this farmhouse stuff. Are you Great Train Robbers?

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:38 AM
It's f*cking jokes man. Literally the binary opposite of how I imagined Christmases being when I had kids, Jeff :-(

Who hates each other in your family?

Nobody hates each other. Just my sister (whose farmhouse it is has) three teenage daughters who are at daggers drawn with her at the moment. Their dad died a few years ago and the place reminds us all of him, which will be awkward - particularly as my sis is now shacked up with his best man (who will also be there). Add to this the fact that my wife and I will be there with my daughter and will be joined (albeit briefly) by my ex on Boxing Day and it doesn't promise to be exactly restful.

Ho-hum.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Concentrate on keeping the wife happy and just ignore every other ****.

Luis Anaconda
11-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Nobody hates each other. Just my sister (whose farmhouse it is has) three teenage daughters who are at daggers drawn with her at the moment. Their dad died a few years ago and the place reminds us all of him, which will be awkward - particularly as my sis is now shacked up with his best man (who will also be there). Add to this the fact that my wife and I will be there with my daughter and will be joined (albeit briefly) by my ex on Boxing Day and it doesn't promise to be exactly restful.

Ho-hum.

Sometimes living in a different country to family is very nice indeed

Burney
11-29-2016, 11:06 AM
Sometimes living in a different country to family is very nice indeed

I can certainly see the attraction, yes. :-\

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-29-2016, 01:05 PM

Don't you think your wife needs to permanently bin her mum?

Brentwood
11-29-2016, 01:08 PM
What's this farmhouse stuff. Are you Great Train Robbers?

:hehe: that's tickled me

Ash
11-29-2016, 02:45 PM
eating supermarket food

Oh noes! Food from supermarkets like what the ordinary, untermensches eat!

If it's possible to die of extreme snobbery you should watch out.

Monty92
11-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Oh noes! Food from supermarkets like what the ordinary, untermensches eat!

If it's possible to die of extreme snobbery you should watch out.

Surely it's not snobbish to think that cooking is part of the fun and pleasure of Christmas?

Or are you denying a home-cooked Christmas meal is nicer in every possible way?

Burney
11-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Surely it's not snobbish to think that cooking is part of the fun and pleasure of Christmas?

I think a thought you were complaining that the ingredients had been bought from a supermarket rather than your local organic artisan butcher/baker/candlestick maker

Ash
11-29-2016, 03:37 PM

The cooking is certainly fun when other people do it imo. But some of the food that is cooked comes from the supermarket, no? Rather than from the East Finchley Organic Ethically Produced Sustainable Farmers Collective or wherever your sort gets its grub from.

Monty92
11-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Monty92
11-29-2016, 03:41 PM
I think a thought you were complaining that the ingredients had been bought from a supermarket rather than your local organic artisan butcher/baker/candlestick maker

Oh, yes, that would be fair, then.

Although I *would* be upset to get my ingredients from one of the less posh supermarkets. Luckily my dad works in M&S so I get a 20% discount :cloud9:

Monty92
11-29-2016, 03:43 PM
The cooking is certainly fun when other people do it imo. But some of the food that is cooked comes from the supermarket, no? Rather than from the East Finchley Organic Ethically Produced Sustainable Farmers Collective or wherever your sort gets its grub from.

Yes, I'm definitely the type to care about how ethically sourced and sustainable my food is, you've nailed me there :hehe:

Burney
11-29-2016, 03:48 PM

'Your sort' :hehe:

Burney
11-29-2016, 03:53 PM

Although I *would* be upset to get my ingredients from one of the less posh supermarkets. Luckily my dad works in M&S so I get a 20% discount :cloud9:

I shop around, generally. Meat from the local butcher, bits and bobs from Waitrose (the Heston Blumenthal mince pies they did last year were mind-blowingly good), but I always load up on cheap frozen Lidl lobsters and make mini thermidor nibbles.

Luis Anaconda
11-29-2016, 04:32 PM

:cloud9: Can stock up in M&S on Thursday. Possibly the thing I miss most about England *

*people and the Arsenal excluded **

** I'm not that sure about the people tbh

Boxing24
12-13-2016, 09:21 AM
:hehe: that's tickled me

hehe hehe right