PDA

View Full Version : So, Eric Bristow eh?

Burney
11-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Yet again we are treated to the unedifying sight of millions of people self-righteously piling onto a clearly rather dim and badly educated man who has made some ill-advised and rather unfortunate remarks on Twitter with the apparent intention of getting him sacked.

Social media really is a cùnt's paradise, isn't it? :-(

Monty92
11-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Yet again we are treated to the unedifying sight of millions of people self-righteously piling onto a clearly rather dim and badly educated man who has made some ill-advised and rather unfortunate remarks on Twitter with the apparent intention of getting him sacked.

I was going to post something similar.

So his big crime was calling him a poof, not a pae*do? Would "pae*do poof" been ok? The man is, after all, clearly a poof.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 10:07 AM
But sacked from what though? I had presumed he was merely a retired darts player.

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:09 AM
I was going to post something similar.

So his big crime was calling him a poof, not a pae*do? Would "pae*do poof" been ok? The man is, after all, clearly a poof.

I think the association of páedofiddlery and poovery is simply considered verboten - even though pederasty has been a pretty common strand of poovery as long as it's existed. But yes, as you say, a man who cornholes young footballers certainly isn't straight.

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:11 AM
But sacked from what though? I had presumed he was merely a retired darts player.

He does the commentary on darts for Sky, which I imagine is worth a few quid.

Monty92
11-29-2016, 10:11 AM

He was a pundit for Sky Sports. I say "was" because he's been fired for his tweets.

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:13 AM
He was a pundit for Sky Sports. I say "was" because he's been fired for his tweets.

Oh, they have sacked him, have they? :-( Bunch of cünts.

I hardly imagine that the sort of people who watch darts would give a flying fück.

IUFG
11-29-2016, 10:16 AM
you can't beat a bit of Bully, etc, b.

fine sport is darts.

EB on the other hand? made himself look a bit of a ****

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Oh, they have sacked him, have they? :-( Bunch of cünts.

I hardly imagine that the sort of people who watch darts would give a flying fück.

No, they probably won't, but everyone's a cowardly corporate stooge nowadays though. Including the mighty Eric himself; he knew the score.

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:20 AM

fine sport is darts.

It's the sort of beery, offhand remark you could hear in any pub in the country any night of the week and dismiss as just a bit of boorish, drunken stupidity. I certainly find the remark nowhere near as repellent as all the staged swooning and pearl-clutching it has prompted from the professionally offended. ****ssake.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 10:21 AM

fine sport is darts.

As I say, most ordinary people will just wonder what the fuss was about.

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:23 AM
As I say, most ordinary people will just wonder what the fuss was about.

...and then wonder why the darts commentary isn't as good as it used to be.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 10:23 AM
He does the commentary on darts for Sky, which I imagine is worth a few quid.

Oh, right. He can have no complaints then, imo.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 10:27 AM
...and then wonder why the darts commentary isn't as good as it used to be.

Talking of tragically under-appreciated cockneys; "Sir" Danny Dyer, superb :thumbup:

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Talking of tragically under-appreciated cockneys; "Sir" Danny Dyer, superb :thumbup:

I knew you'd love it. :hehe: Favourite bit?

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 10:43 AM
I knew you'd love it. :hehe: Favourite bit?

Hampton Court, I think. "You could have a right, old rave up in here, couldn't you, babe."

Superb work, all round though.

Burney
11-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Hampton Court, I think. "You could have a right, old rave up in here, couldn't you, babe."

I loved his extremely Essex wife (dyed blonde, rake thin, sunglasses on a cloudy day :rubchin: ) brandishing the scroll and squealing 'I always knew I was a princess!' like Eliza Doolittle.

World's End Stella
11-29-2016, 11:26 AM
I think his crime was minimising the impact of sexual abuse of children by suggesting that the best approach would be to live with it until you get older and then 'sort them out'.

Which sounds a pathetically stupid thing to think, let alone say. A sackable offence for someone whose job puts them in the public eye? Certainly in today's climate. Caused solely or mostly by reaction social media? Probably.

But I would say the same thing about the idea that the left is stifling debate by throwing 'isms' around every time someone states a contrary opinion. Are they really stifling opinion or is it just social media going overboard whenever given the chance?

The latter, I think. So back to Burney's original point, yes social media is a load of c*nt.

Burney
11-29-2016, 11:44 AM
I think his crime was minimising the impact of sexual abuse of children by suggesting that the best approach would be to live with it until you get older and then 'sort them out'.

Which sounds a pathetically stupid thing to think, let alone say. A sackable offence for someone whose job puts them in the public eye? Certainly in today's climate. Caused solely or mostly by reaction social media? Probably.

But I would say the same thing about the idea that the left is stifling debate by throwing 'isms' around every time someone states a contrary opinion. Are they really stifling opinion or is it just social media going overboard whenever given the chance?

The latter, I think. So back to Burney's original point, yes social media is a load of c*nt.

The climate is very much the point. I don't think anyone's arguing his comment was anything but crass, simplistic and insensitive. However, the fact that someone can't just be allowed to say something stupid and then sober up, regret it and apologise, but must instead be hounded out of their job for it is deeply distasteful.

Brentwood
11-29-2016, 11:50 AM

I've started referring to all photographs as "smudges" from now on

Brentwood
11-29-2016, 11:52 AM
The climate is very much the point. I don't think anyone's arguing his comment was anything but crass, simplistic and insensitive. However, the fact that someone can't just be allowed to say something stupid and then sober up, regret it and apologise, but must instead be hounded out of their job for it is deeply distasteful.

There were even calls on Twitter for him to be stripped of his MBE

Burney
11-29-2016, 11:59 AM

It's the unbridled glee with which these people set out to destroy people's lives and livelihoods that's so distressing. The slightest whiff of blood and they'll pile in. Humanity is always at its worst in mob form and Twitter just enables that without even the possibility of physical danger to act as a brake on behaviour.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 12:00 PM

Although, the Donald has recently shown the way of resistance. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to involve much hand-wringing or apologising.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 12:02 PM

Basically everyone on Twitter needs to man up?

Tony C
11-29-2016, 12:03 PM
People are far too sensitive and still way to PC.

Lord Emperor Trump will sort them right fk out.

Let's be fair...Bristow only said what we were all thinking and if you didn't then you really need to grow up.

Burney
11-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Although, the Donald has recently shown the way of resistance. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to involve much hand-wringing or apologising.

The Donald has billions of dollars, very good lawyers, the 1st Amendment and now the White House to protect him, though. He very literally has 'fùck-you money', which means he can say whatever the fück he likes.

Tony C
11-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Ps Twitter is going downhill....lost faith in it after the banned Milo Yiannopolous over his Ghostbusters review..

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 12:08 PM
The Donald has billions of dollars, very good lawyers, the 1st Amendment and now the White House to protect him, though. He very literally has 'fùck-you money', which means he can say whatever the fück he likes.

Yes, of course, but courage is contagious (as is craven pandering too, of course) and he has shown the way.

Burney
11-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Ps Twitter is going downhill....lost faith in it after the banned Milo Yiannopolous over his Ghostbusters review..

Talking of which, is it OK to say that the recent Ghostbusters movie actually was shït without being called a rapist yet?

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Talking of which, is it OK to say that the recent Ghostbusters movie actually was shït without being called a rapist yet?

My wife thought it was ****, although I don't think she's actually seen it.

Which says it all really.

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 12:18 PM
People are far too sensitive and still way to PC.

Lord Emperor Trump will sort them right fk out.

Let's be fair...Bristow only said what we were all thinking and if you didn't then you really need to grow up.

Agreed, T.

Tony C
11-29-2016, 12:19 PM
I think were good Burney...awful hideous blight on the franchise.

What was laughable was when the backlash started Sony doubled down big time with the whole girl power and attacked everyone who did bad reviews for being anti feminist.

The movie was utter dog s hit and it was down to those 4 women!

Burney
11-29-2016, 12:29 PM
I think were good Burney...awful hideous blight on the franchise.

What was laughable was when the backlash started Sony doubled down big time with the whole girl power and attacked everyone who did bad reviews for being anti feminist.

The movie was utter dog s hit and it was down to those 4 women!

My wife - who had no idea there was any controversy associated with it - watched it with her kids and they all agreed it was shïte.

Brentwood
11-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Agreed, T.

Update: Some herbert has now reported it to Manchseter Police as a "hate crime". These people should be charged with wasting police time

redgunamo
11-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Update: Some herbert has now reported it to Manchseter Police as a "hate crime". These people should be charged with wasting police time

An off-duty policeman, I expect.

Burney
11-29-2016, 12:53 PM

Christ al-fücking-mighty. And that sort then wonders why ordinary people relish the chance to give them a kicking at the ballot box. Morons. :shakehead:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-29-2016, 01:07 PM
What did he say?

World's End Stella
11-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Basically everyone on Twitter needs to man up?

Or conversely, everyone needs to recognise that Twitter reaction should be considered as utterly meaningless when attempting to draw any conclusions about pretty much anything. We'll all be better off when people realise that Twitter provides an unrealistic and slightly perverse view of the world.

As a source of entertainment, I can understand it. As pretty much anything else, I can't.

Ash
11-29-2016, 03:54 PM

Have you seen the film 'Sleepers'? This is basically what happens and a priest gives them an alibi for the time they shot one of one of their abusers. Moral of the tale? Killing your noncers is fair game. (though they all die in the end).

Not making a point myself here, btw, just thought of that film.

Burney
11-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Have you seen the film 'Sleepers'? This is basically what happens and a priest gives them an alibi for the time they shot one of one of their abusers. Moral of the tale? Killing your noncers is fair game. (though they all die in the end).

Not making a point myself here, btw, just thought of that film.

Yeah, it was quite good, I thought. Given all this scouting business and how noncery is clearly endemic, I've been worrying how many more players will turn out to have been nonced. :-(

Mind you, I reckon Martin Keown was probably safe.

Monty92
11-29-2016, 04:13 PM

The left certainly are stifling debate. For starters, have you not heard anything about the 'no-platforming' phenomena that has taken hold in academic institutions? About safe spaces and trigger warnings?

In fact, in the academic sphere, it's even worse, as they are actually influencing what is taught to students. University professors and lecturers are lining up to say they have amended what they teach for fear of being reported to the authorities by over-sensitive students.

You clearly have no idea what's going on in the world if you think these are not genuine issues.

World's End Stella
11-29-2016, 05:28 PM
The left certainly are stifling debate. For starters, have you not heard anything about the 'no-platforming' phenomena that has taken hold in academic institutions? About safe spaces and trigger warnings?

In fact, in the academic sphere, it's even worse, as they are actually influencing what is taught to students. University professors and lecturers are lining up to say they have amended what they teach for fear of being reported to the authorities by over-sensitive students.

You clearly have no idea what's going on in the world if you think these are not genuine issues.

:clap:

10 ****ing characters

CrossGun
11-30-2016, 09:45 AM
I loved his extremely Essex wife (dyed blonde, rake thin, sunglasses on a cloudy day :rubchin: ) brandishing the scroll and squealing 'I always knew I was a princess!' like Eliza Doolittle.

Did you see this?

https://twitter.com/AchinglyChic/status/802081846045589504

Burney
11-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Did you see this?

https://twitter.com/AchinglyChic/status/802081846045589504

That sums it up, but even that leaves out some of the high points

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 11:28 AM

Not so much stifling opinion, I think, as killing the debate, preferably before it even starts. As you have just done there*, in fact.

*That is if I may presume you haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, and instead, just accepted the "corporate" line almost by default.

World's End Stella
11-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Not so much stifling opinion, I think, as killing the debate, preferably before it even starts. As you have just done there*, in fact.

*That is if I may presume you haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, and instead, just accepted the "corporate" line almost by default.

Sorry red, you're going to have to provide more detail about which debate it is that I'm stifling as you sort of lost me there.

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 02:37 PM
You haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, have you. You've simply decided that one is right and the other is wrong.

Not that it matters to us, of course, but this is why so many people voted for Donald Trump. Just sayin' :-)

Sorry red, you're going to have to provide more detail about which debate it is that I'm stifling as you sort of lost me there.

World's End Stella
11-30-2016, 02:42 PM
You haven't actually studied the arguments from both sides, have you. You've simply decided that one is right and the other is wrong.

Not that it matters to us, of course, but this is why so many people voted for Donald Trump. Just sayin' :-)

You've always seemed a top chap, red. I can't imagine someone I'd rather spend time in a pub with.

But there are times when I wonder if you are clinically insane. This is one of them. Great fun, of course. :-)

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 02:48 PM
You've always seemed a top chap, red. I can't imagine someone I'd rather spend time in a pub with.

But there are times when I wonder if you are clinically insane. This is one of them. Great fun, of course. :-)

Oh, no doubt about that. My parents are both shrinks.

And still you don't "debate" :-)

World's End Stella
11-30-2016, 02:50 PM
Oh, no doubt about that. My parents are both shrinks.

And still you don't "debate" :-)

Ah very good, that explains loads. :-)

And if you are going to insist that I debate I'm afraid you're going to have to let me know what it is we're meant to be debating.

Cause I haven't a clue.

redgunamo
11-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Ah very good, that explains loads. :-)

And if you are going to insist that I debate I'm afraid you're going to have to let me know what it is we're meant to be debating.

Cause I haven't a clue.

No, of course I'm not.

Although, Eric Bristow's "challenging" thoughts on whatever it was was where we began, I think.