PDA

View Full Version : I spent an hour or so watching the news coverage of the Tsunami in Japan.

Pat Vegas
11-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Seen bigger waves at Southend.

Monty92
11-22-2016, 11:57 AM

Was the coverage upsetting or did it all wash over you?

Burney
11-22-2016, 12:01 PM

Any sign of Gojira/Godzilla?

Pat Vegas
11-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Was the coverage upsetting or did it all wash over you?

It was a shower of ****.

Though I liked the Japanese coverage. was a bit creepy being told to evacuate.

Chief Arrowhead
11-22-2016, 01:52 PM
It was a shower of ****.

Though I liked the Japanese coverage. was a bit creepy being told to evacuate.

It's all water over the bridge at this point.

Ash
11-22-2016, 02:43 PM
It's all water over the bridge at this point.

Hey, Chief, have you done the poll? https://action.trump2016.com/survey/100-day-plan-action-survey/

Not my place to vote, of course but 5, 16, 17, and 20 imo ;-)

Chief Arrowhead
11-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Hey, Chief, have you done the poll? https://action.trump2016.com/survey/100-day-plan-action-survey/

didn't know it existed until now. Been holed up in my survivalist bunker eating government cheese. Will do so.

Chief Arrowhead
11-22-2016, 03:15 PM

Okay, took the poll, if you can call it one. As you undoubtedly suspect I checked a lot of highly important boxes. 16, and 17 seem rather nonsensical. 20 could be counterproductive and seems to me to be unenforceable. 5 is okay if done right, but in my view not a government responsibility in terms of funding. It's not getting a whole lot of play but we have to abolish the VA. give them a card that says that the government will pay for all medical and let them go where they want to get their medical needs taken care of. Having these men and women truck upwards of 200 miles to check into a 1950's era hospital and be looked after by bureaucrats is a national disgrace.

As an aside, on your scale, how Punk Rock is it to have the victors be the Leave vote and Trump? A lot more consequential than to rent a boat and Play God Save The Queen down the Thames, imo.

Burney
11-22-2016, 03:31 PM
As an aside, on your scale, how Punk Rock is it to have the victors be the Leave vote and Trump? A lot more consequential than to rent a boat and Play God Save The Queen down the Thames, imo.

This is one of the funniest things about 2016 for my money. The left wingers who for years have been idly advocating grassroots popular movements by the lower classes against 'elites' and 'the establishment' in the smug belief that such movements would of necessity be left-wing in nature, are suddenly being confronted by just such movements and they really don't like it one little bit. Far from the edgy radicals they liked to pose as, they are having to confront the fact that their interests align much more closely with the elites than with the grassroots and that in fact they are the establishment. :hehe:

Ash
11-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Okay, took the poll, if you can call it one. As you undoubtedly suspect I checked a lot of highly important boxes. 16, and 17 seem rather nonsensical. 20 could be counterproductive and seems to me to be unenforceable. 5 is okay if done right, but in my view not a government responsibility in terms of funding. It's not getting a whole lot of play but we have to abolish the VA. give them a card that says that the government will pay for all medical and let them go where they want to get their medical needs taken care of. Having these men and women truck upwards of 200 miles to check into a 1950's era hospital and be looked after by bureaucrats is a national disgrace.

We'll always disagree on what you should be doing with your military, but for me 16 and 17 are consistent with each other. ISIS have flourished in the chaotic vacuum of regime change policy, and I'd like to see the neo-con/lib-hawk stranglehold on this one ended. It won't happen, of course. Obama said he'd pull it back but bombed more countries than Bush. The money saved on smashing places up could be spent on those bridges and roads. :shrug:

You might be right about the lobbyists but what we call revolving-door politics stinks of the corruption of government that people are fed up with.

Back in the old days the rebels were on the left. Now the left is the establishment and the rebels are on the right.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/anarchy-in-the-eu-brexit-young-old-punk/18502#.WDRkvn2kNC4

Chief Arrowhead
11-22-2016, 03:58 PM
We'll always disagree on what you should be doing with your military, but for me 16 and 17 are consistent with each other. ISIS have flourished in the chaotic vacuum of regime change policy, and I'd like to see the neo-con/lib-hawk stranglehold on this one ended. It won't happen, of course. Obama said he'd pull it back but bombed more countries than Bush. The money saved on smashing places up could be spent on those bridges and roads. :shrug:

You might be right about the lobbyists but what we call revolving-door politics stinks of the corruption of government that people are fed up with.

Back in the old days the rebels were on the left. Now the left is the establishment and the rebels are on the right.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/anarchy-in-the-eu-brexit-young-old-punk/18502#.WDRkvn2kNC4

Actually, I could have written that. My reaction is more on the wording of the question. "A plan for ISIS" reeks of some sort of white paper from a DC think-tank. As far as it not happening, it will happen. The Sanders and Trump voters are aligned when it comes to military adventurism. That is the mood of the voters and thanks to 2016 the people still have a say. We've all been burned by the failures of the recent past one way or another. From those that supported Bush's response to 9/11 to those that supported Obama's plan to improve race relations and create opportunity, we're all in the same mood of contempt and disgust.

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 04:08 PM
This is one of the funniest things about 2016 for my money. The left wingers who for years have been idly advocating grassroots popular movements by the lower classes against 'elites' and 'the establishment' in the smug belief that such movements would of necessity be left-wing in nature, are suddenly being confronted by just such movements and they really don't like it one little bit. Far from the edgy radicals they liked to pose as, they are having to confront the fact that their interests align much more closely with the elites than with the grassroots and that in fact they are the establishment. :hehe:

Even PJ O'Rourke called it wrong, said he was voting for Hillary, when his own missives have been presaging "a Donald" for thirty years :-(

Burney
11-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Even PJ O'Rourke called it wrong, said he was voting for Hillary, when his own missives have been presaging "a Donald" for thirty years :-(

He's as much an insider as anyone, though. :shrug: He has to be a part of the political class in order to satirise it. His mistake was thinking that the Donald would be a smart, cynical, presentable, right-wing political operator. But that was the last thing the people wanted. They wanted someone unpolished who looked and acted like they figured they would if they were rich and powerful.

Chief Arrowhead
11-22-2016, 04:28 PM
He's as much an insider as anyone, though. :shrug: He has to be a part of the political class in order to satirise it. His mistake was thinking that the Donald would be a smart, cynical, presentable, right-wing political operator. But that was the last thing the people wanted. They wanted someone unpolished who looked and acted like they figured they would if they were rich and powerful.

Spot on, Burney has more insight into America than the editors at the New York Times!

We've known Trump for over 30 years. You can't assign him the labels of racist/sexist/homophobe like you could a proxy GOP politician, he hasn't been labeled as such before. In fact he was somewhat revered by those same folks doing the labeling . Why they even had teetotaling, holy underwearing Mitt pegged as a cold-hearted, woman hating tax evader. So this time the people sussed it out and it was ineffective, especially since that was the primary basis of his opponent's campaign.

Also, we know we make mistakes but we wanted someone where there was no doubt that he loved this country after eight years of apology tours and ambivalence. I say that knowing your dislike for flags! :)

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 04:29 PM

Yes, of course. That's right. Just disappointed, is all, that his antennae let him down at last.

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 04:37 PM

False economy, I'm afraid. You don't save money by not smashing places up. The smasher-uppers pay lots of tax to pay for stuff like inner cities, schools, hospitals and kidney machines. Even bridges and roads, as you say.

Burney
11-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Spot on, Burney has more insight into America than the editors at the New York Times!

We've known Trump for over 30 years. You can't assign him the labels of racist/sexist/homophobe like you could a proxy GOP politician, he hasn't been labeled as such before. In fact he was somewhat revered by those same folks doing the labeling . Why they even had teetotaling, holy underwearing Mitt pegged as a cold-hearted, woman hating tax evader. So this time the people sussed it out and it was ineffective, especially since that was the primary basis of his opponent's campaign.

Also, we know we make mistakes but we wanted someone where there was no doubt that he loved this country after eight years of apology tours and ambivalence. I say that knowing your dislike for flags! :)

The bloke has a big gold house, is a TV personality, has a range of trophy wives and is rich enough to be as rude as he wants about people he doesn't like. He's basically the American dream personified.

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 04:49 PM
The bloke has a big gold house, is a TV personality, has a range of trophy wives and is rich enough to be as rude as he wants about people he doesn't like. He's basically the American dream personified.

Right. He's obviously a clever ******* too, using his workings to force his opponents into only appearing to ever talk about their own somewhat ridiculous fringe politics and pet peoples. Racism, sexual rights and so on.

Now, there *is* a time and a place for all that but the obvious response today is, Yes, but when is one of you people going to do something about stuff that affects *me*!

Burney
11-22-2016, 04:53 PM
Right. He's obviously a clever ******* too, using his workings to force his opponents into only appearing to ever talk about their own somewhat ridiculous fringe politics and pet peoples. Racism, sexual rights and so on.

Now, there *is* a time and a place for all that but the obvious response today is, Yes, but when is one of you people going to do something about stuff that affects *me*!

Yes. The liberal left's decision to disappear up it's own arse did rather leave the field open to someone who refused to play the game. What's amazing is that the Republican party proper didn't see the opportunity and instead to a large extent went along with all the niche politics böllocks.

Sir C
11-22-2016, 04:53 PM

I'm afraid that he strikes me as the sort of fellow who would wear brown brogues in town.

God forbid he should ever be introduced to Her Majesty.

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm afraid that he strikes me as the sort of fellow who would wear brown brogues in town.

Oh, no worries on that score.

She's had worse, so to speak.

Far, far worse.

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 05:03 PM
Yes. The liberal left's decision to disappear up it's own arse did rather leave the field open to someone who refused to play the game. What's amazing is that the Republican party proper didn't see the opportunity and instead to a large extent went along with all the niche politics böllocks.

Don't need his money, don't like his sort, as the man said. Who though, but one of his "sort", could've played such a great game.

Sir C
11-22-2016, 05:03 PM
False economy, I'm afraid. You don't save money by not smashing places up. The smasher-uppers pay lots of tax to pay for stuff like inner cities, schools, hospitals and kidney machines. Even bridges and roads, as you say.

Plus, of course, if you're going to maintain a standing army, they have to smash things up, otherwise what else will they do? The devil makes work for idle hands, and all that. They could get up to all sorts of mischief.

Sir C
11-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Oh, no worries on that score.

She's had worse, so to speak.

Far, far worse.

Well, yes, I suppose there have been French sorts, I suppose. But they at least can put on the facade of civilisation when required.

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Plus, of course, if you're going to maintain a standing army, they have to smash things up, otherwise what else will they do? The devil makes work for idle hands, and all that. They could get up to all sorts of mischief.

Right. The best you can do is try to ensure they smash things up somewhere else.

Chief Arrowhead
11-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Don't need his money, don't like his sort, as the man said. Who though, but one of his "sort", could've played such a great game.

As far as trolling the media goes, Trump is playing 4D chess and they're playing checkers... and we bloody luv it.

redgunamo
11-22-2016, 05:25 PM
As far as trolling the media goes, Trump is playing 4D chess and they're playing checkers... and we bloody luv it.

Happy Freepers is always a pleasant sight to behold. It's amazing how over the moon people are.

eastgermanautos
11-22-2016, 05:33 PM
didn't know it existed until now. Been holed up in my survivalist bunker eating government cheese. Will do so.

:same: :hehe:

eastgermanautos
11-22-2016, 05:35 PM

C'mon burney, fvck. Not it's you ignorant pie-eater. Its.

Burney
11-22-2016, 08:00 PM

Of course, he may flatter to deceive. He may appear to be something now, but in fact turn out to be something else.

He may in fact be, if you will...

...Un Trump d'Oeil.

Ahem.

Sir C
11-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Of course, he may flatter to deceive. He may appear to be something now, but in fact turn out to be something else.

He may in fact be, if you will...

...Un Trump d'Oeil.

Ahem.

Hear him! Hear him! A glass of wine with you Sir!