PDA

View Full Version : So Monty has assured us that Wenger always has a logical reason for everything

World's End Stella
11-21-2016, 09:14 AM
he does and, frequently, it has a quantitative basis.

I'd be interested in the argument that put Elneny and Ramsey in the team ahead of Xhaka and Iwobi/Ox.

Ramsey, for those of you who don't understand football, was terrible, yet again.

Ash
11-21-2016, 09:31 AM

I'd be interested in the argument that put Elneny and Ramsey in the team ahead of Xhaka and Iwobi/Ox.

Ramsey, for those of you who don't understand football, was terrible, yet again.

AR was played in the wrong position and all the forward players were poor. But just ignore that and carry on banging the old drum. :thumbup:

World's End Stella
11-21-2016, 09:39 AM
AR was played in the wrong position and all the forward players were poor. But just ignore that and carry on banging the old drum. :thumbup:

I didn't comment on the other forward players because they have earned their place in the team. I questioned making a change from a player (Iwobi) who has been very good at times this season, ignoring a player who has played better recently (Ox) in favour of a player who has been poor for some time now and is just back from injury. And if you watch carefully you will have noticed that - unsurprisingly - Ramsey didn't just play on the left, he played pretty much everywhere. Which is one of his problems.

But just ignore that and carry on banging the old drum. :thumbup:

Pokster
11-21-2016, 09:41 AM

At least AR was on the pitch for WES's latest complaint... unlike the Euro semi

Monty92
11-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Wenger explained why he played Elneny and Ramsey. It seems he anticipated it being a physical battle rather than one in which both team's fluent passing would be at its best (as it so rarely is after the disruption of an international break) and so he played those two specifically because of their battling qualities.

Of course it meant we lost something creatively, but picking football teams is about balance and often when you gain in one area you lose in another. The fact that we played poorly in the second half is, I guess, proof enough that Wenger got it wrong. But to imply there was no logic behind the decision is unfair.

World's End Stella
11-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Wenger explained why he played Elneny and Ramsey. It seems he anticipated it being a physical battle rather than one in which both team's fluent passing would be at its best (as it so rarely is after the disruption of an international break) and so he played those two specifically because of their battling qualities.

Of course it meant we lost something creatively, but picking football teams is about balance and often when you gain in one area you lose in another. The fact that we played poorly in the second half is, I guess, proof enough that Wenger got it wrong. But to imply there was no logic behind the decision is unfair.

I didn't imply that there was no logic behind it, I genuinely asked what the logic was.

And if I anticipated a physical battle, Aaron Ramsey would be just about the last player I would pick.

Ash
11-21-2016, 09:53 AM
I didn't comment on the other forward players because they have earned their place in the team. I questioned making a change from a player (Iwobi) who has been very good at times this season, ignoring a player who has played better recently (Ox) in favour of a player who has been poor for some time now and is just back from injury. And if you watch carefully you will have noticed that - unsurprisingly - Ramsey didn't just play on the left, he played pretty much everywhere. Which is one of his problems.

But just ignore that and carry on banging the old drum. :thumbup:

Iwobi's form had a little bit dropped off and Ox was a clown when he came on against Tottenham, so neither were obvious starters, though we are all obviously pleased that the good version of the Ox came on this time.

Of course, with hindsight I expect AW would have picked a different team.

And I don't have a drum to bang. :vsign: