Where is WH Smith?

Sir C
11-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Where is WH Smith?

In his grave? In Highgate Cemetary?

Ash
11-14-2016, 10:14 AM
In his grave? In Highgate Cemetary?

Kensall Green actually. In the company of Marc and IK Brunel, William Makepeace Thackeray, John Gibson (assisted Chas Baz on the Palace of Westminster), Philip Hardwick (Euston Arch), George Birkbeck of UCL, Alexis Benoit Soyer (inventor of fast food), Charles Locock (deliverer of Queen Victoria's sprogs (and 'Cousin Billy' :-|)), Feargus O’Connor (Chartist leader) and many others.

A grand day out, preceded by a slap-up breakfast in the North London Tavern in Brondersbury. :thumbup:

Sir C
11-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Kensall Green actually. In the company of Marc and IK Brunel, William Makepeace Thackeray, John Gibson (assisted Chas Baz on the Palace of Westminster), Philip Hardwick (Euston Arch), George Birkbeck of UCL, Alexis Benoit Soyer (inventor of fast food), Charles Locock (deliverer of Queen Victoria's sprogs (and 'Cousin Billy' :-|)), Feargus O’Connor (Chartist leader) and many others.

A grand day out, preceded by a slap-up breakfast in the North London Tavern in Brondersbury. :thumbup:

Brave of you, I'd say. Kensal Green is sort of out west, isn't it? It must be near, I don't know, Acton or something. :shudder: And Kilburn is full of drunk paddies and IRA shops. Unless something's changed since 1982.

I did some remarkable things to a duck yesterday.

Burney
11-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Brave of you, I'd say. Kensal Green is sort of out west, isn't it? It must be near, I don't know, Acton or something. :shudder: And Kilburn is full of drunk paddies and IRA shops. Unless something's changed since 1982.

I did some remarkable things to a duck yesterday.

Was a bicycle pump involved?

Sir C
11-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Was a bicycle pump involved?

Lord no, I'm not addressing that little matter alone! No, I jointed the quacker and confited the legs, roasted the carcass, made the stock, spuds in the fat, spicy little gravy, shredded confit, magret saignant, you know the drill. Nothing complicated but nice and fulfilling, utilising every last scrap of the bird.

Pat Vegas
11-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Where is WH Smith?

Not near my anymore they shut down.

Not surprised it was a odd store. one old lady staff. everything over priced.

Ash
11-14-2016, 10:44 AM

Next to Wormwood Scrubs, in fact. Though, my parochial days are behind me. I'm all cosmopolitan now. North, South, East, West - there be no dragons now (except in Tottenham, of course, and possibly bits of Peckham). Kilburn is now an extension of West Hampstead, doncha know, and I expect some of its good burghers refer to it as Western St Johns Wood.

Burney
11-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Lord no, I'm not addressing that little matter alone! No, I jointed the quacker and confited the legs, roasted the carcass, made the stock, spuds in the fat, spicy little gravy, shredded confit, magret saignant, you know the drill. Nothing complicated but nice and fulfilling, utilising every last scrap of the bird.

Ah, yes. That's basically old Raymond's way with a goose for Christmas that I did once. Very nice.

I made Mongolian crispy lamb by braising and roasting lamb breasts until they were rendered edible (about 4 hours). My, but it's a fatty thing a lamb breast. Not sure my oven will ever be the same.

Sir C
11-14-2016, 10:52 AM
Next to Wormwood Scrubs, in fact. Though, my parochial days are behind me. I'm all cosmopolitan now. North, South, East, West - there be no dragons now (except in Tottenham, of course, and possibly bits of Peckham). Kilburn is now an extension of West Hampstead, doncha know, and I expect some of its good burghers refer to it as Western St Johns Wood.

I still picture London through the eyes of the 18/19 year old lad exploring it all independently for the first time, so most of it remains rough and dangerous in my memory. Gentrification, a, that's the problem. Bring back our slum tenements, I say.

Sir C
11-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Ah, yes. That's basically old Raymond's way with a goose for Christmas that I did once. Very nice.

I made Mongolian crispy lamb by braising and roasting lamb breasts until they were rendered edible (about 4 hours). My, but it's a fatty thing a lamb breast. Not sure my oven will ever be the same.

I've been keen to try lamb breast since I had the smoked lamb ribs at Smoking Goat; one of the best things I have ever eaten. Howeveer, I have held back for fear oif the whole house reeking of burning lamb fat.

World's End Stella
11-14-2016, 11:16 AM

What did you do with the breasts? I really don't like duck breasts. Awful things in my experience.

Unlike those on the filipino hooker in the Mandarin Oriental last week. :-)

Sir C
11-14-2016, 11:20 AM
What did you do with the breasts? I really don't like duck breasts. Awful things in my experience.

Unlike those on the filipino hooker in the Mandarin Oriental last week. :-)

I just do them in the French style, fried hard skin side down to render the fat and crisp the skin, then just a couple of minutes on the meat side and serve them saignant. Delicieux!

The MO in BKK? Did you give them my love?

World's End Stella
11-14-2016, 01:26 PM
I just do them in the French style, fried hard skin side down to render the fat and crisp the skin, then just a couple of minutes on the meat side and serve them saignant. Delicieux!

The MO in BKK? Did you give them my love?

Hmmh, I find them slightly livery when done that way, not to my taste which is sad as I love everything else about duck.

Sadly, no. Hong Kong. Speaking of liver, I need a new one after a week there :-(