PDA

View Full Version : I'm seeing lots of talk about the voting system in the US. They also started moaning

Billy Goat Sverige
11-10-2016, 05:41 PM
about referendums and majorities after the Brexit vote. Why don't these ****s ever moan about these things beforehand?

Pat Vegas
11-10-2016, 06:44 PM
about referendums and majorities after the Brexit vote. Why don't these ****s ever moan about these things beforehand?

They are all complaining about the division in the US now. and acting so surprised.
Yet news story after news story you get are items that bloke who won't stand for the anthem.

redgunamo
11-10-2016, 08:06 PM

The system is always fine when you're winning. When you lose, not so much.

Burney
11-11-2016, 10:01 AM

The electoral college system has been in place in the USA since 1787 and nobody has particularly given a flying one. Both sides have had candidates lose the popular vote and win the Presidency (most notably that inexplicable darling of liberalism Kennedy). It really is just whining. Everyone knows how it works beforehand.
Winning the popular vote is about as relevant as ending a season with the highest goal difference. Nice to have, but it matters not a fück unless you're at the top of the table.

Sir C
11-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Of course, what the moaners fail to acknowledge is that candidates, aware of the electoral college system, target their campaigns accordingly.

FFS, have these people next watched The West Wing?

Sir C
11-11-2016, 10:06 AM
The electoral college system has been in place in the USA since 1787 and nobody has particularly given a flying one. Both sides have had candidates lose the popular vote and win the Presidency (most notably that inexplicable darling of liberalism Kennedy). It really is just whining. Everyone knows how it works beforehand.
Winning the popular vote is about as relevant as ending a season with the highest goal difference. Nice to have, but it matters not a fück unless you're at the top of the table.

I very much enjoyed that Jonathon Pie piece, thank you.

Burney
11-11-2016, 10:11 AM

Really extremely good, wasn't it? The likes of Owen Jones, Laurie Penny, Caitlin Moran, Jack Monroe and all their ridiculous ilk should be made to watch it on hard rotation.

Of course it helps that it basically articulated everything I've been saying for months. :-)

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
11-11-2016, 10:26 AM
The system is always fine when you're winning. When you lose, not so much.

4-4-2? 4-3-3?

redgunamo
11-11-2016, 01:30 PM
4-4-2? 4-3-3?

Two up top, one in the hole, as your mum would say. 3-5-2.

Brentwood
11-14-2016, 12:19 PM

Good isn't he. I hadn't come across him before

Monty92
11-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Really extremely good, wasn't it? The likes of Owen Jones, Laurie Penny, Caitlin Moran, Jack Monroe and all their ridiculous ilk should be made to watch it on hard rotation.

Of course it helps that it basically articulated everything I've been saying for months. :-)

I managed to upset a bunch of my partner's lefty friends on Facebook after they posted a link to the Green Party campaign on the gender pay gap and I pointed out that the pay gap is utterly discredited *******s.

wd me imo.

Brentwood
11-14-2016, 12:39 PM
I managed to upset a bunch of my partner's lefty friends on Facebook after they posted a link to the Green Party campaign on the gender pay gap and I pointed out that the pay gap is utterly discredited *******s.

wd me imo.

I'm sick to the teeth of hearing about gender inequality. I don't see many women in my neighbourhood changing the summer tyres over to winter ones imo in -10 and snow

Sir C
11-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Good isn't he. I hadn't come across him before

Terrific. I understand that he is a comedian doing a character... the slightly worrying thing is that he had a series on Russia Today :-(

Pokster
11-14-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm sick to the teeth of hearing about gender inequality. I don't see many women in my neighbourhood changing the summer tyres over to winter ones imo in -10 and snow

Well if you lived in Brentwood there would be no need.. never gets that cold and hardly ever snows

Brentwood
11-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Terrific. I understand that he is a comedian doing a character... the slightly worrying thing is that he had a series on Russia Today :-(

I thought exactly the same :hehe:

Monty92
11-14-2016, 01:40 PM

For about the past 30 years feminism and women's groups have suffered a supply and demand problem, requiring them to look for inequality where it doesn't exist.

eastgermanautos
11-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Suck a d!ck, limey fvck. You don't even have a democracy. You're like a friggin monarchy or some sh!t.

Sir C
11-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Suck a d!ck, limey fvck. You don't even have a democracy. You're like a friggin monarchy or some sh!t.

That's a terrifically well-argued riposte. Jolly well done for fully explaining the intricacies of the US electoral system, helpfully referencing the differences between our respective constitutions.

And people say Americans are stupid! Doh.

Burney
11-14-2016, 04:47 PM

LOOOOOOOOOL! :hehe: :clap:

eastgermanautos
11-14-2016, 04:56 PM
That's a terrifically well-argued riposte. Jolly well done for fully explaining the intricacies of the US electoral system, helpfully referencing the differences between our respective constitutions.

And people say Americans are stupid! Doh.

Why don't you stick to what you're best at. Pleasuring men in the bushes outside the local pub.

Sir C
11-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Why don't you stick to what you're best at. Pleasuring men in the bushes outside the local pub.

:hehe: You've been at Chief's crack pipe, haven't you?

eastgermanautos
11-14-2016, 06:45 PM
:hehe: You've been at Chief's crack pipe, haven't you?

You know it. :-)

Chief Arrowhead
11-14-2016, 08:40 PM

I place blame primarily with the fact that Civics is really not taught any more in our schools. The Founding Fathers were quite wise in recognizing the dangers of a democracy as that would allow for a bare majority to tyrannize the minority. Many, many people think we live in a democracy. We don't. Our system of government is a Representative Republic. Three branches of government constructed to be co-equal. the two branches of congress is a pointed example of their thinking. One branch, the House, is population based and the Senate membership consists of two Senators from each State regardless of population. Also, in our national election for President we aren't actually voting for the candidates but are instead voting for Electors from our State who will vote the will of the people of their State. In 2016 a State Elector can actually vote for Clinton even though a plurality of their State voted for Trump. Will never happen, though, as the candidates select their own Electors.

Every time I see the smelly protestors on the march chanting "This is what Democracy looks like" I am happy to reminded that I am glad I don't live in a Democracy! :-)