PDA

View Full Version : Brexit out

PSRB
11-03-2016, 10:34 AM
well that's put the cat amongst the pigeons........

Rich
11-03-2016, 10:40 AM

Sterling is surging against all currencies, including the Rand. This is great news for my holiday and also petrol prices.

Makes me wonder whether this has always been the government's get out clause. The great unwashed are going to riot, aren't they?

Pat Vegas
11-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Sterling is surging against all currencies, including the Rand. This is great news for my holiday and also petrol prices.

Makes me wonder whether this has always been the government's get out clause. The great unwashed are going to riot, aren't they?

Surging? it's gone up once pence against the Canadian dollar since yesterday.

Pokster
11-03-2016, 10:44 AM

Jesus, this will be a short term £ rally which won't last more than a week or 2, so will make bugger all difference to prices as lots of co's hedged their currency poistions until January before the Bexit vote, the incvrease in petrol prices and inflation is coming no matter what

Billy Goat Sverige
11-03-2016, 10:57 AM

Don't think it will change much. I think you'll see a lot of abstaining from labour MPs if/when they come to vote on it.

Burney
11-03-2016, 11:01 AM

Oh, if Parliament dares to vote against the democratically expressed will of the people this could get very f.ucking nasty. And rightly so.
Mind you, the upside is that Labour opposing the triggering of A50 would basically render them unelectable through their non-London heartlands and destroy them politically. They're between a rock and a very, very hard place if it goes to a vote. I would expect mass abstentions.

World's End Stella
11-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Oh, if Parliament dares to vote against the democratically expressed will of the people this could get very f.ucking nasty. And rightly so.
Mind you, the upside is that Labour opposing the triggering of A50 would basically render them unelectable through their non-London heartlands and destroy them politically. They're between a rock and a very, very hard place if it goes to a vote. I would expect mass abstentions.

But the MPs could very well vote based on what their constituents want and end up rejecting Brexit, despite the majority of the people voting for it. It will largely depend on the how the over 55 poplulation is distributed, as they are the ones that effectively caused Brexit.

This could really get rather interesting. Good thing my summer holiday is in the Dordogne next year. :cloud9:

Yesterday Once More
11-03-2016, 11:11 AM
If the Government lose the appeal to the Supreme Court, then Theresa May should call an immediate General Election and commit the Conservatives to implement the will of the British people if re-elected.

They will get a thumping majority, especially given that Labour remain unelectable.

UKIP candidates should not stand against any sitting MPs who commit to voting for Brexit in parliament. They should stand in seats held by any Labour, Lib Dems or Tory remainers like Ken Clarke who won't sign up to standing by Brexit.

Billy Goat Sverige
11-03-2016, 11:17 AM
But the MPs could very well vote based on what their constituents want and end up rejecting Brexit, despite the majority of the people voting for it. It will largely depend on the how the over 55 poplulation is distributed, as they are the ones that effectively caused Brexit.

This could really get rather interesting. Good thing my summer holiday is in the Dordogne next year. :cloud9:

Most constituencies voted leave.

http://i.imgur.com/jo9oj5U.png

No one gives a **** about Scotland.

Pokster
11-03-2016, 11:17 AM

Sorry, they vote on what their constituents want and could end up rejecting bexit??? The vast majority of MP's would have to vote for it if that was the case looking at how the country shaped up in June

World's End Stella
11-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Sorry, they vote on what their constituents want and could end up rejecting bexit??? The vast majority of MP's would have to vote for it if that was the case looking at how the country shaped up in June

I meant that it was possible that the distribution would have been such that the majority of MPs would have voted Remain.

But BGS's map shows that that is not the case. Shame really, it would have been such good fun watching Farage's head explode.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-03-2016, 01:28 PM

Thank f*ck for that

PSRB
11-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Thank f*ck for that

As to B's point below, it only, in all likelihood, reinforces that Brexit will actually happen

Burney
11-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Thank f*ck for that

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you, Euro-boy. We're still leaving. :cloud9:

Pat Vegas
11-03-2016, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't get too excited if I were you, Euro-boy. We're still leaving. :cloud9:

I am a bit thick, What happens now?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-03-2016, 02:01 PM

That may be so but at least it will have to go through due process. After all, that is what they were elected for.

The alternative would be a Heil Theresa scenario

Pokster
11-03-2016, 02:09 PM
I am a bit thick, What happens now?

Govt appeals, lawyers get lots of money, Govt loses appeal, goes to parliament where they all talk for as long as possible before it eventually gets voted through.. if it gets delayed enough it could be towards the end of next year due to french and german elections.

Problem is nobody knows what form this will taks "soft" or "hard" Brexit.

Lar d'Arse
11-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Govt appeals, lawyers get lots of money, Govt loses appeal, goes to parliament where they all talk for as long as possible before it eventually gets voted through.. if it gets delayed enough it could be towards the end of next year due to french and german elections.

Problem is nobody knows what form this will taks "soft" or "hard" Brexit.

Isn't that the more likely scenario - MPs will try to influence the Government as to what line it should take in post Art 50 negotiations. As all have correctly pointed out it will be difficult for an MP not to vote the way his or her constituency voted but there is a world of difference between taking a hard position and a soft one. That particular distinction was never put to the electorate.

dismalswamp
11-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Or the Queen gives the ok, and then that is that. It's well known that the Royals hate the EU and everything it stands for.

Ash
11-03-2016, 06:24 PM
That particular distinction was never put to the electorate.

I believe it was. The electorate was asked if they wanted to leave the EU. Not whether they wanted to pretend to leave the EU. ;-)

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-03-2016, 07:58 PM
I have no doubt that we will leave. At least there is more hope that it will be done in the open.

eastgermanautos
11-04-2016, 02:08 AM

I think it's good. You all will have a bit more money to invest in my movie. :cloud9: