PDA

View Full Version : This poppy business..

7sisters
11-03-2016, 09:51 AM
What planet are these cocks at Fifa living on ?
They're a blight... and erm, another thing . Is it me, or was this relentless flood of international breaks always the case ? Dementia aside, I just don't recall so many regular interruptions to the domestic programme until recent times. They seem to be every bloody month :headwand:

Burney
11-03-2016, 10:08 AM
What planet are these cocks at Fifa living on ?
They're a blight... and erm, another thing . Is it me, or was this relentless flood of international breaks always the case ? Dementia aside, I just don't recall so many regular interruptions to the domestic programme until recent times. They seem to be every bloody month :headwand:

First off, you have to remember that the rest of Europe is absolutely mystified about the poppies thing. They probably introduced this ruling about symbols for good reasons - i.e. to stop people using football as a political vehicle.
Where they've been silly is in failing to make a distinction between the poppy as a symbol of remembrance rather than an overtly political statement.
Fundamentally - as with so much - the difference lies in the diverse ways in which the British and Europeans regard the history of the first half of the 20th century. We see it as a source of sadness and loss, but also pride, whereas they see it as shameful and would rather not be reminded of the whole business.
All that said, I don't remember when poppies started being incorporated in football strips anyway. Damn silly idea. The point of the poppy is that it should be a personal and voluntary gesture, not a bloody uniform that is forced on people.

Pokster
11-03-2016, 10:12 AM
First off, you have to remember that the rest of Europe is absolutely mystified about the poppies thing. They probably introduced this ruling about symbols for good reasons - i.e. to stop people using football as a political vehicle.
Where they've been silly is in failing to make a distinction between the poppy as a symbol of remembrance rather than an overtly political statement.
Fundamentally - as with so much - the difference lies in the diverse ways in which the British and Europeans regard the history of the first half of the 20th century. We see it as a source of sadness and loss, but also pride, whereas they see it as shameful and would rather not be reminded of the whole business.
All that said, I don't remember when poppies started being incorporated in football strips anyway. Damn silly idea. The point of the poppy is that it should be a personal and voluntary gesture, not a bloody uniform that is forced on people.

Can't remember which paper it was in but they made a point that other country's have war memorials (which remember war criminals as well) and what would happen if they wanted to have that symbol on their shirts.

Does it really matter anywasy, until recently football shirts never had poppys on anyway

Mo Britain less Europe
11-03-2016, 11:58 AM
They are worried about hurting any remaining German Imperialists' feelings.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
11-03-2016, 01:14 PM
The point of the poppy is that it should be a personal and voluntary gesture, not a bloody uniform that is forced on people.

Absolutely spot on. This is what so annoys me about the major terrestrial broadcasters this time of year - every bloody person on them, interviewer, interviewee, presenters has to wear one. As someone who is from a military family and still has serving members I am completely with you and Jon Snow on this one, and so are they.

Lady Henry AKA The African Queen
11-03-2016, 03:23 PM
You mean like Ozil, Mustafi and Merts?
Smh