PDA

View Full Version : Things you don't see any more thread No. 452

Ash
11-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Fu Manchu fillums on TV. #lacist

In fact the whole genre of Chinese crime, vice and opium dens in Limehouse was actually based on a hysterical perception of what was actually a fairly small number of Chinese in a couple of streets, most of whom were sailors just staying overnight. Somehow an East End moral panic became a fictional trope.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
11-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Things you don't see any more thread No. 452

Jorge on awimb :cry: :cry:

Pat Vegas
11-02-2016, 01:14 PM

In fact the whole genre of Chinese crime, vice and opium dens in Limehouse was actually based on a hysterical perception of what was actually a fairly small number of Chinese in a couple of streets, most of whom were sailors just staying overnight. Somehow an East End moral panic became a fictional trope.

Parking meters,
Those red and white striped tents British Telecom used to use.

Ash
11-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Parking meters,
Those red and white striped tents British Telecom used to use.

Anderson Shelters as workmen huts. :old:

Pat Vegas
11-02-2016, 01:21 PM
Anderson Shelters as workmen huts. :old:

These things are slowly vanishing too.
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B8END4/keep-left-bollard-knocked-over-uk-B8END4.jpg

Ash
11-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Jorge on awimb :cry: :cry:

Ah, 71. I was listening to The Magnificent Seven last night admiring the bass groove and thinking "that's pretty tidy for Paul Simonen" but of course it was Norman Roy-Watt from The Blockheads - who also played on Rock the Casbah (and went to school on the Blackstock Road).

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
11-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Ah, 71. I was listening to The Magnificent Seven last night admiring the bass groove and thinking "that's pretty tidy for Paul Simonen" but of course it was Norman Roy-Watt from The Blockheads - who also played on Rock the Casbah (and went to school on the Blackstock Road).
Simonon. I loved the Blockheads so that's fine by me :-) Saw them post Dury but with Wilko and despite the fact I was off my head I seem to remember they were superb.

Burney
11-02-2016, 02:08 PM

You don't see Charlie Chan on telly, either. 'Number Lun Son' and all that. He was, of course, played by a Swede :hehe:

Burney
11-02-2016, 02:19 PM

They did tend to run the opium dens, though. Mind you, that was only because their population had a taste for it created entirely by us exporting it to them from India. A taste, in fact, that we forced upon them in two wars and once by sending an Army to Peking and smashing up the Summer Palace. :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
11-02-2016, 02:59 PM
These things are slowly vanishing too.
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/B8END4/keep-left-bollard-knocked-over-uk-B8END4.jpg

trust me p - stock photos will always be needed

Burney
11-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Alamy's are very much the worst, though. A quick sift through their issues-based stock is a surefire laugh.

Luis Anaconda
11-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Alamy's are very much the worst, though. A quick sift through their issues-based stock is a surefire laugh.
Christ, yes - we wouldn't use them even in a mock-up

Pat Vegas
11-02-2016, 04:45 PM

:nod: Especially if Monty needs to release any more books.

Luis Anaconda
11-02-2016, 04:51 PM
:nod: Especially if Monty needs to release any more books.

Back of the net
Nice finish, p