PDA

View Full Version : I know it’s curmudgeonly to point it out, but had Ozil passed up the chance to shoot

Monty92
11-02-2016, 09:41 AM
immediately after knocking the ball over the keeper, only to be tackled by one of the retreating defenders, he’d be getting absolutely caned today by all quarters.

I’m sure people tell me that’s just human nature, but it’s still fu*king retarded.

Luis Anaconda
11-02-2016, 09:44 AM
immediately after knocking the ball over the keeper, only to be tackled by one of the retreating defenders, he’d be getting absolutely caned today by all quarters.

I’m sure people tell me that’s just human nature, but it’s still fu*king retarded.
No, sorry - you are not being curmudgeonly, you are just being a ****

by wishing to call people retarded for something they didn't say about something that didn't happen, it really is just you who is being retarded

Monty92
11-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Actually, I've just rewatched it and am going to little bit contradict myself by saying it's quite amazing that he decided not to shoot straight away. As the ball dropped it would have been an awkward hit but with his technique and an open goal 10 yards away, it was surely the more sensible option given the risk of being tackled by one of the two retreating defenders.

Ozil = ****er

Monty92
11-02-2016, 09:48 AM
No, sorry - you are not being curmudgeonly, you are just being a ****

by wishing to call people retarded for something they didn't say about something that didn't happen, it really is just you who is being retarded

See my following post. I've just watched it again and the moment the ball dropped out of the air he literally had an open goal about 15 yards away and could have passed it into the net. To risk being tackled by pulling the ball back was surely too big and he should have shot first time.

PSRB
11-02-2016, 09:52 AM
See my following post. I've just watched it again and the moment the ball dropped out of the air he literally had an open goal about 15 yards away and could have passed it into the net. To risk being tackled by pulling the ball back was surely too big and he should have shot first time.

I was screaming for him to shoot (Wenger alluded to the fact that that's what he was thinking as well) but then just back watched him and just thought "Oh"

Monty92
11-02-2016, 09:57 AM
I was screaming for him to shoot (Wenger alluded to the fact that that's what he was thinking as well) but then just back watched him and just thought "Oh"

Yes, it all happened so quickly and obviously as soon as he scores you don't give a ****, but looking at the replay I think you have to question his judgement, whilst also admiring the skill.

PSRB
11-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Yes, it all happened so quickly and obviously as soon as he scores you don't give a ****, but looking at the replay I think you have to question his judgement, whilst also admiring the skill.

Not really, he clearly decided that his way was the best way....he was right

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Not really, he clearly decided that his way was the best way....he was right

No, the fact that it worked is not proof that it was the best way. He could have dribbled the ball back to the half way line and hoofed it 70 yards and still scored and this would not have been the best way. The best way was the one most likely to result in a goal - a simple sidefoot into an open goal from 15 yards was clearly the least risky option and therefore the best way.

AFC East
11-02-2016, 10:06 AM
No, the fact that it worked is not proof that it was the best way. He could have dribbled the ball back to the half way line and hoofed it 70 yards and still scored and this would not have been the best way. The best way was the one most likely to result in a goal - a simple sidefoot into an open goal from 15 yards was clearly the least risky option and therefore the best way.

A bit like the deft lob he scored against Sunderland.

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:15 AM
A bit like the deft lob he scored against Sunderland.

Not really. The lob was clearly the best option on that occasion, but his execution let him down.

AFC East
11-02-2016, 10:22 AM
Not really. The lob was clearly the best option on that occasion, but his execution let him down.

I thought a facile comment would be fitting. If you ever found yourself in the position that Ozil did, with the skill Ozil has, you might reach a different conclusion, like Ozil did.

AFC East
11-02-2016, 10:25 AM
p.s. watch it again, he's at least thirty yards from goal with a ball having travelled a very long distance. Try that technique a few times and tell us it's the easy option. The Sunderland opportunity was probably easier in terms of ball spin etc, but still tricky enough to miss.

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:27 AM
I thought a facile comment would be fitting. If you ever found yourself in the position that Ozil did, with the skill Ozil has, you might reach a different conclusion, like Ozil did.

Of course, which is why I would not criticise him with any seriousness. But the fact is, once he'd lobbed the keeper, no skill was required to score the goal. All that was needed was a simple sidefoot finish into an empty net.

Why pass up the chance of a goal that requires no skill (and therefore no risk)? We know why, because he trusted himself to execute the skill that was required. The fact that his self-belief was vindicated does not change the fact that he chose the harder option.

AFC East
11-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Of course, which is why I would not criticise him with any seriousness. But the fact is, once he'd lobbed the keeper, no skill was required to score the goal. All that was needed was a simple sidefoot finish into an empty net.

Why pass up the chance of a goal that requires no skill (and therefore no risk)? We know why, because he trusted himself to execute the skill that was required. The fact that his self-belief was vindicated does not change the fact that he chose the harder option.

Oh I see, you mean after he'd lobbed the keeper! I'll need to watch it again.

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:28 AM
p.s. watch it again, he's at least thirty yards from goal with a ball having travelled a very long distance. Try that technique a few times and tell us it's the easy option. The Sunderland opportunity was probably easier in terms of ball spin etc, but still tricky enough to miss.

Fair point.

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Oh I see, you mean after he'd lobbed the keeper! I'll need to watch it again.

Yes! I'm not suggesting he should have shot first time BEFORE beating the keeper!

Luis Anaconda
11-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Just because you are being perfectly reasonable, doesn't mean I can't call you a **** though, surely? I blame Özil for making me have a few more than intended last night - how's that for irony for the very Muslim lad

AFC East
11-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Hmm, not totally convinced. Firstly it was on his right foot, the defender was clearly committed to the lunge and might have made it. Not sure if he was aware of the second defender, but I'll assume he was.

Pokster
11-02-2016, 10:57 AM

If you actually did look at it again, it would have been an outside of the left foot shot with a dropping ball, so not an easy finish imo

Pat Vegas
11-02-2016, 11:00 AM

I thought I was a downer. But this is very odd Monty.
Your moaning about things that didn't happen. Something you would destroy other fans for doing.

Norn Iron
11-02-2016, 11:20 AM

I think it's all natural instinct from Ozil. He's so calm in situations like that, he was never going to rush the chance to finish. I don't think he even thinks like how you've described. It all happens in his own time.

Someone like Alan Shearer would have buried it the minute he's by the keeper. I don't think players have that much time to analyse the situations and play them out differently. Just players with different instincts.

Pat Vegas
11-02-2016, 11:22 AM
I think it's all natural instinct from Ozil. He's so calm in situations like that, he was never going to rush the chance to finish. I don't think he even thinks like how you've described. It all happens in his own time.

Someone like Alan Shearer would have buried it the minute he's by the keeper. I don't think players have that much time to analyse the situations and play them out differently. Just players with different instincts.

What would have Oxlade done? :-)

Norn Iron
11-02-2016, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=Pat Vegas;4134688]What would have Oxlade done? :-)[/QUOT

Either tried to chip the advancing keeper and missed. Or once he rounded the keeper, panic and hit the post?

Pat Vegas
11-02-2016, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Pat Vegas;4134688]What would have Oxlade done? :-)[/QUOT

Either tried to chip the advancing keeper and missed. Or once he rounded the keeper, panic and hit the post?

I don't mean to be harsh but I would think the ball would have ended up nearer the corner flag.

I want him to come good though.

Rich
11-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Actually, I've just rewatched it and am going to little bit contradict myself by saying it's quite amazing that he decided not to shoot straight away. As the ball dropped it would have been an awkward hit but with his technique and an open goal 10 yards away, it was surely the more sensible option given the risk of being tackled by one of the two retreating defenders.

Ozil = ****er

I think that if the ball had been on his left after dinking it over the keeper/accountant then he would have taken it first time. However, his right foot appears to be fairly useless.

Luis Anaconda
11-02-2016, 12:01 PM

Nicely put, ni

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
11-02-2016, 12:20 PM

could have, should have, would have. What's done is done. No point whining about it now.

Mo Britain less Europe
11-02-2016, 01:40 PM
It worked because the defenders did exactly what he thought they were going to do. That was the chance he took. Not sure he could have shot straight away other than with his right, so what he did was almost certainly the right thing even if it took longer than most of the fans would have wished. But he is the best judge of what he can do.

Ash
11-02-2016, 01:50 PM
could have, should have, would have. What's done is done. No point whining about it now.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/8f/b4/e18fb452228391d29d859308eda1bf71.jpg

redgunamo
11-02-2016, 05:49 PM
and everybody else, those players who are ultimately judged by the number of goals they score and those players who aren't.

Even if Mesut never scores a goal, ever, his is still the first name on the teamsheet.