PDA

View Full Version : Ramsey still poncing about with those back heel flicks

7sisters
11-01-2016, 08:11 PM
keep it simple :shrug:

Ash
11-01-2016, 11:43 PM

:hehe: welcome back, 7evens. Did it take some long-forgotten dodgy Ramsey flicks to inspire you to post again? :hehe:

PSRB
11-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Ramsey was, and I'm being kind here, a bit "rusty"....the cross for Giroud, was however, sumptuous

World's End Stella
11-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Ramsey was, and I'm being kind here, a bit "rusty"....the cross for Giroud, was however, sumptuous

Looked the same old Aaron to me :-)

Was he meant to be playing on the right? Because he didn't, and when Ox came on I thought the additional width was noticeable. I'd love to think that Wenger isn't going to try and shoe horn him into the side, but I fear it's coming. :-(

Monty92
11-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Looked the same old Aaron to me :-)

Was he meant to be playing on the right? Because he didn't, and when Ox came on I thought the additional width was noticeable. I'd love to think that Wenger isn't going to try and shoe horn him into the side, but I fear it's coming. :-(

If you and Wenger sat down across a table and had a full and frank debate about the merits of playing Ramsey on the right, what do you think think the chances would be of him managing to convince you that your disapproval was unwarranted?

World's End Stella
11-02-2016, 09:56 AM
If you and Wenger sat down across a table and had a full and frank debate about the merits of playing Ramsey on the right, what do you think think the chances would be of him managing to convince you that your disapproval was unwarranted?

0% - and if Ramsey was sat opposite Wenger I would expect the same outcome.

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Blimey. Why are we paying this c*nt 8 million a year, then?

Ash
11-02-2016, 10:00 AM

But I can't help feeling that most/many players seem to find it very difficult to accept that there could be anyone else in the squad who is better than them at their preferred position, and would far rather lose the league while playing in their fave position than win it playing elsewhere.

World's End Stella
11-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Blimey. Why are we paying this c*nt 8 million a year, then?

You mean because we pay him 8mil a year he is infallible and can't make mistakes? That's interesting logic there, Monty. Does that mean that Gervinho was a world class striker and Squillaci the second coming of Baresi?

Ramsey has been played there in the past because we had limited options there. Theo and Ox were underwhelming or injured and Wenger didn't buy the type of player that would have kept Ramsey out of the team in that position. The emergence of Walcott and Iwobi means that Ramsey is much less likely to play there now, I think.

World's End Stella
11-02-2016, 10:12 AM
But I can't help feeling that most/many players seem to find it very difficult to accept that there could be anyone else in the squad who is better than them at their preferred position, and would far rather lose the league while playing in their fave position than win it playing elsewhere.

I think I agree with that, Ash. Although I'm not entirely sure what the point is that you're trying to make relative to young Aaron.

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:20 AM
You mean because we pay him 8mil a year he is infallible and can't make mistakes? That's interesting logic there, Monty. Does that mean that Gervinho was a world class striker and Squillaci the second coming of Baresi?

Ramsey has been played there in the past because we had limited options there. Theo and Ox were underwhelming or injured and Wenger didn't buy the type of player that would have kept Ramsey out of the team in that position. The emergence of Walcott and Iwobi means that Ramsey is much less likely to play there now, I think.

If Wenger makes mistakes, he corrects them. He sold Gervinho and Squillaci. If he keeps doing the same thing over and over again we can be absolutely sure that, at the very least, he would be able to put up a highly coherent and compelling qualitative case, backed by data, for why he is right.

Ash
11-02-2016, 10:26 AM
I think I agree with that, Ash. Although I'm not entirely sure what the point is that you're trying to make relative to young Aaron.

My point is that AR knew he had a bloody decent tournament as the star of Wales' central midfield, and he wants to do the same in club football. Except that we have another chap who is the star of our midfield, and a several others who have been doing a fair job this season. Arsene wants to give Aaron some minutes, and the best way to do this is to stick him out on the wing for now in a game we should have been able to win quite comfortably.

Monty92
11-02-2016, 10:36 AM
My point is that AR knew he had a bloody decent tournament as the star of Wales' central midfield, and he wants to do the same in club football. Except that we have another chap who is the star of our midfield, and a several others who have been doing a fair job this season. Arsene wants to give Aaron some minutes, and the best way to do this is to stick him out on the wing for now in a game we should have been able to win quite comfortably.

Also, it's not like Ramsey has to hug the touchline for 90 minutes. Whenever he's played there, he has absolute freedom to come inside and indeed has often done so. Understandably though, Ramsey wants to be central for the whole game.

Yes, we lose a certain amount of natural width by playing him there, although a wide man who c omes inside a lot also frees up space for your fullback to make overlaps.

Ash
11-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Also, it's not like Ramsey has to hug the touchline for 90 minutes. Whenever he's played there, he has absolute freedom to come inside and indeed has often done so. Understandably though, Ramsey wants to be central for the whole game.

Yes, we lose a certain amount of natural width by playing him there, although a wide man who c omes inside a lot also frees up space for your fullback to make overlaps.

According to people who look at heatmaps, Ox is our only 'winger' who actually sticks to the wing when he's playing there.

World's End Stella
11-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Ah ok, yes I agree that it made sense to play him there in that game against that opposition in order to help get him match fit again.

But I would hope that we won't see him out there as a matter of course going forward, not with the form that Theo, Iwobi and more recently, Ox, have shown. Sadly for Aaron, he can best help the team by giving Mesut the odd day off.

Mo Britain less Europe
11-02-2016, 01:42 PM
The truth is that maybe Ramsey needs to be a bigger player in a smaller team. He either adapts to being a cog in a larger machine or he goes at some point. His chance may come as Cazorla fades.

Ash
11-02-2016, 01:49 PM
The truth is that maybe Ramsey needs to be a bigger player in a smaller team. He either adapts to being a cog in a larger machine or he goes at some point. His chance may come as Cazorla fades.

Very different player to Santiago though.