PDA

View Full Version : Lunch at the top of the walkie-talkie building.

Sir C
10-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Extraordinary views. Remarkable prices. Revolting food.

I'm sure it's a law of nature that the higher up a building the restaurant, the worse the food.

If anyone ever offers you a confit duck burger with fried duck egg and sweet gherkins, do yourself a favour and punch them in the face.

Monty92
10-24-2016, 01:02 PM

I'm sure it's a law of nature that the higher up a building the restaurant, the worse the food.

If anyone ever offers you a confit duck burger with fried duck egg and sweet gherkins, do yourself a favour and punch them in the face.

Min Jaing, Duck & Waffle, Galvin at Windows?

Ash
10-24-2016, 01:02 PM

Almost certainly the least aesthetically successful of the various eccentric building designs in The City. It also started melting and setting fire to cars below it at first, ISTR.

Sir C
10-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Ming Jaing, Duck & Waffle, Galvin at Windows?

Duck and Waffle isn't all that, is it? Especially the hideousness that is its signature dish.

I haven't been to Galvin at Windows because I'm not a miserable middle-aged jewish cab driver from Romford taking the missus out for her annual opportunity to put on her zirconium ring and that dress she got in the sale at L K Bennett at Lakeside, you know, the day we went for pizza and I moaned like a **** because they added the service charge but left the total blank on the bill.

Ming Jaing I know not.

Sir C
10-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Almost certainly the least aesthetically successful of the various eccentric building designs in The City. It also started melting and setting fire to cars below it at first, ISTR.

Yews, and then the same architect did the same thing on the Shard and melted some more cars, I believe.

There was a queue of about 300 tourists to go up to the viewing level. ****s.

Burney
10-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Duck and Waffle isn't all that, is it? Especially the hideousness that is its signature dish.

I haven't been to Galvin at Windows because I'm not a miserable middle-aged jewish cab driver from Romford taking the missus out for her annual opportunity to put on her zirconium ring and that dress she got in the sale at L K Bennett at Lakeside, you know, the day we went for pizza and I moaned like a **** because they added the service charge but left the total blank on the bill.

Ming Jaing I know not.

I can testify that the Duck & Waffle is powerfully 'meh'. It didn't help that they make you go up in a skylift that reduced me to a gibbering wreck, of course. A panic attack is no way to begin a pleasant meal. :-(

That one two thirds of the way up The Shard was fairly nondescript as well - although the lavatories do afford you the illusion of pïssing on London from a great height, which is pleasing.

Mo Britain less Europe
10-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Fenchurch? I had a decent lunch there a few months ago. Good English wine-list too.

Galvins is also good. As is the Chinese place at the Royal Garden Hotel. Best duck in town.