PDA

View Full Version : Gay cake couple lose discrimination case

Monty92
10-24-2016, 10:53 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/24/born-again-christian-ashers-bakery-lose-court-appeal-in-gay-cake-row

Burney
10-24-2016, 11:01 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/24/born-again-christian-ashers-bakery-lose-court-appeal-in-gay-cake-row

It's a shocker, alright. We can no longer act as our consciences dictate because someone is going to call it discriminatory.

At the risk of being trite, one wonders how the case would have gone had the baker been muslim. But then it would never have arisen, since Christians are easy targets.

Meanwhile, the Lord Mayor of Manchester has been called some names he finds 'hurtful and offensive' and believes that should therefore be a matter for prosecution. :-(

Monty92
10-24-2016, 11:07 AM
It's a shocker, alright. We can no longer act as our consciences dictate because someone is going to call it discriminatory.

At the risk of being trite, one wonders how the case would have gone had the baker been muslim. But then it would never have arisen, since Christians are easy targets.

Meanwhile, the Lord Mayor of Manchester has been called some names he finds 'hurtful and offensive' and believes that should therefore be a matter for prosecution. :-(

Yes, I look forward to the first Muslim printer prosecuted for refusing to print cartoons of Muhammed.

Sir C
10-24-2016, 11:21 AM

Have you seen his hair? I'd be tempted to call him hurtful and offensive names, only not on account of the bending.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
At the risk of being trite, one wonders how the case would have gone had the baker been muslim.

I'm bloody sure Nadiya would have been happy to do it. She did win the GBBO after all, which is probably the gayest programme ever on a major tv channel :shrug:

Burney
10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Yes, I look forward to the first Muslim printer prosecuted for refusing to print cartoons of Muhammed.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Christians tend to be nice, peaceful people who don't kill you for disagreeing with them. This makes them prime targets for identity politics types wanting an easy win.

Burney
10-24-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm bloody sure Nadiya would have been happy to do it. She did win the GBBO after all, which is probably the gayest programme ever on a major tv channel :shrug:

Are you really? :hehe: I watched a programme about her going off to Bangladesh. Her husband was congratulating himself on how progressive he was for letting her go off on her own. I think making a cake that went directly against her religious principles might have been a bit tricky for her.

Religion's like that, you see? It actually involves believing certain things and sticking to them. Just because someone seems nice on telly doesn't mean they don't have religious views that would make your hair curl.

Burney
10-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Have you seen his hair? I'd be tempted to call him hurtful and offensive names, only not on account of the bending.

Yes. He looks like Morrissey with a facelift.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
10-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Religion's like that, you see? It actually involves believing certain things and sticking to them. Just because someone seems nice on telly doesn't mean they don't have religious views that would make your hair curl.

Doesn't mean they do either. And I'm sure whichever one of the presenters licks the wrong side of the stamp would have eaten her raspberry torte, so to speak.

Burney
10-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Doesn't mean they do either. And I'm sure whichever one of the presenters licks the wrong side of the stamp would have eaten her raspberry torte, so to speak.

No, I still don't think you get it. People in the post-Enlightenment west forget that religion is a real thing to others that guides their lives and not just something to which people pay lip service. It is a hard and fast guide to life. There is no ambiguity in the Quran's teachings on homosexuality - it is an abomination punishable by death. You can't actually be a faithful muslim and not subscribe to those views - whatever your human feelings are about individuals may be.

Pokster
10-24-2016, 12:24 PM

They objected to Gay marriage, in your scenario they would have refused to make a cake if someone had asked for a joke about Christianity... so basically, you using Muslims and Muhammed has nothing to do with this case

Monty92
10-24-2016, 12:34 PM
They objected to Gay marriage, in your scenario they would have refused to make a cake if someone had asked for a joke about Christianity... so basically, you using Muslims and Muhammed has nothing to do with this case

The point is, if we agree (which we should) that a muslim printer should be allowed to refuse to publish cartoons of Muhammed, then we should also agree that this christian couple should be allowed to refuse to make a cake endorsing gay marriage.

Pokster
10-24-2016, 12:47 PM
The point is, if we agree (which we should) that a muslim printer should be allowed to refuse to publish cartoons of Muhammed, then we should also agree that this christian couple should be allowed to refuse to make a cake endorsing gay marriage.

Completely different, if ther muslim printer refused to print a copy of the bible then i agree with you...

Monty92
10-24-2016, 12:55 PM
Completely different, if ther muslim printer refused to print a copy of the bible then i agree with you...

Hang on, so you don't think a muslim printer should be allowed to refuse to print a copy of the bible?

What about if the customer wanting the bible was also muslim?

Pokster
10-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Hang on, so you don't think a muslim printer should be allowed to refuse to print a copy of the bible?

What about if the customer wanting the bible was also muslim?

No, I don't think a muslim printer should be allowed to refuse to print a copy of the bible, because it is discrimination. Tha same as the cake couple shouldn't be allowed to refuse to make a cake for a gay couple.

If either the printer or cake customer was trying to cause offence on purpose then the company has the right to refuse imo

Mo Britain less Europe
10-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Why not have a whip round and do a test case? Find a particularly religious Muslim printer and ask them to do those Danish cartoons?

Burney
10-24-2016, 01:30 PM
No, I don't think a muslim printer should be allowed to refuse to print a copy of the bible, because it is discrimination. Tha same as the cake couple shouldn't be allowed to refuse to make a cake for a gay couple.

If either the printer or cake customer was trying to cause offence on purpose then the company has the right to refuse imo

The more pertinent point here is whether this case would ever have been brought against a muslim baker who'd made a similar refusal.

I can fûcking well guarantee you that it would not.

Norn Iron
10-24-2016, 01:35 PM
If you take a case against a Muslim, you're racist.
You back Asher's in this situation, you're homophobic.

Edit- I suppose it's actually Sectarianism.

Burney
10-24-2016, 01:40 PM
If you take a case against a Muslim, you're racist.
You back Asher's in this situation, you're homophobic.

Well if we take the Rotherham case as a guide, anyone attempting to prosecute a muslim in this situation would have been ignored by the Police and CPS and, had they continued to press, would have been threatened by the Police with a charge of Inciting Racial and Religious Hatred.

Ash
10-24-2016, 01:41 PM
The more pertinent point here is whether this case would ever have been brought against a muslim baker who'd made a similar refusal.

I can fûcking well guarantee you that it would not.

Shall we give it it a go then?

http://www.halalcakes4u.co.uk/

Norn Iron
10-24-2016, 01:45 PM

No, because any right thinking person wouldn't intend to offend anyone & then threaten to take them to court over their religious beliefs.

Sir C
10-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Halal cake? Cake, with no bacon?

No bloody thank you!

Burney
10-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Maybe test the water by asking for one of these?

redgunamo
10-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Maybe test the water by asking for one of these?

In fairness, Peppa Pig ought to be illegal.

TheCurly
10-24-2016, 03:28 PM
In fairness, Peppa Pig ought to be illegal.
So basically,it is illegal to refuse to decorate a cake with a slogan in support of an illegal act. This place :-(

Ash
10-24-2016, 03:41 PM
So basically,it is illegal to refuse to decorate a cake with a slogan in support of an illegal act. This place :-(

Which illegal act?

TheCurly
10-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Which illegal act?

Gay marriage is not legal here

Ash
10-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Gay marriage is not legal here

Gadzooks! I didn't realise. This is terrible, Curly. I had no idea that uphill gardeners were so terribly oppressed in the six counties. :-(

redgunamo
10-24-2016, 04:03 PM
Gadzooks! I didn't realise. This is terrible, Curly. I had no idea that uphill gardeners were so terribly oppressed in the six counties. :-(

Oh, right. I thought he meant on AWIMB.

Ash
10-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Oh, right. I thought he meant on AWIMB.

Well, obviously they're oppressed on AWIMB. It's basically exactly like Saudi Arabia on here.

redgunamo
10-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Well, obviously they're oppressed on AWIMB. It's basically exactly like Saudi Arabia on here.

It's difficult to oppress something that doesn't exist though, ain't it. Unless, you .. you know .. want to tell us something.
Fire away. I am seated and the cask is stationed at my elbow.

Yesterday Once More
10-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Surely if you are providing a printing service you should be entitled not to print anything which offends you, as much as you have a responsibility not to print something which could offend others. Freedom and liberty under the law should work both ways.

Ash
10-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Surely if you are providing a printing service you should be entitled not to print anything which offends you, as much as you have a responsibility not to print something which could offend others. Freedom and liberty under the law should work both ways.

Or maybe everyone should just stop being so easily offended. :shrug:

TheCurly
10-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Or maybe everyone should just stop being so easily offended. :shrug:

Mrs C,who is very morally inspired,doesn't know where to stand on this issue.It's as if it is both right and wrong iho

Burney
10-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Mrs C,who is very morally inspired,doesn't know where to stand on this issue.It's as if it is both right and wrong iho

I think we can all agree that the problem is protestants, c. :nod:

TheCurly
10-25-2016, 08:48 AM
I think we can all agree that the problem is protestants, c. :nod:

:nod: Not so much yer Presbys but yer Free Presbys

Burney
10-25-2016, 08:52 AM
:nod: Not so much yer Presbys but yer Free Presbys

Yes. I'm surprised such people even allow cake. I'd have thought they subsist on thin gruel and tepid water.

TheCurly
10-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Yes. I'm surprised such people even allow cake. I'd have thought they subsist on thin gruel and tepid water.

I'm sure tourists are most impressed when they come to Belfast for the weekend.Wake up on Sunday morning and decide what to do with the day only to find EVERYWHERE IS FÚCKING CLOSED

Burney
10-25-2016, 08:57 AM
I'm sure tourists are most impressed when they come to Belfast for the weekend.Wake up on Sunday morning and decide what to do with the day only to find EVERYWHERE IS FÚCKING CLOSED

To be fair, that's the case in most of mainland Europe as well - but that's mostly down to them being lazy rather than mad Orangemen.

Tony C
10-25-2016, 09:32 AM
I'm not 100% sure Bert & Ernie bowled from the pavilion end.

they're just two bros post college who were trying to save on the rent.

I'm pretty sure they tag teamed a few of the pros on the street.

Burney
10-25-2016, 09:36 AM
I'm not 100% sure Bert & Ernie bowled from the pavilion end.

they're just two bros post college who were trying to save on the rent.

I'm pretty sure they tag teamed a few of the pros on the street.

There were no pros on Sesame St, t.

Besides, we all know Bert went Islamic fundamentalist.

redgunamo
10-25-2016, 09:40 AM
There were no pros on Sesame St, t.

Besides, we all know Bert went Islamic fundamentalist.

Oh, there almost certainly are, imo. It's in Harlem, New York City, ain't it?

Tony C
10-25-2016, 10:42 AM
we only really saw the Street in the day time innit

The Count ran a ruthless sex trade at nights from I hear.

TheCurly
10-25-2016, 10:44 AM
we only really saw the Street in the day time innit

The Count ran a ruthless sex trade at nights from I hear.

:nod: Big Bird for the gentleman of a more discerning taste

Tony C
10-25-2016, 10:48 AM
you like them tall, blonde and feathery Curly?

:thumbup:

Burney
10-25-2016, 10:53 AM
you like them tall, blonde and feathery Curly?

:thumbup:

:nod: Curly's ideal woman

TheCurly
10-25-2016, 10:56 AM
:nod: Curly's ideal woman

Those locks B :cloud9: