PDA

View Full Version : So the wife's away. which means I'm subsisting on hot meat sandwiches

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:17 PM
Last night's was sirloin steak in ciabatta with English mustard, fried onions, deep-fried crispy onions and a sharp cheddar. Delicious, obviously, but a question hangs over tonight. I have the means to make the same again, but that would be rather a shame, I feel. However, the temptation is simply to go to the kebab shop.

So, AWIMB, can someone recommend me something to cook that tempts me more than a kebab? :rubchin:

Sir C
10-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Last night's was sirloin steak in ciabatta with English mustard, fried onions, deep-fried crispy onions and a sharp cheddar. Delicious, obviously, but a question hangs over tonight. I have the means to make the same again, but that would be rather a shame, I feel. However, the temptation is simply to go to the kebab shop.

So, AWIMB, can someone recommend me something to cook that tempts me more than a kebab? :rubchin:

I'm alone tonight and have a large rib-eye and a suitable bready accompaniment to hand :rubshands:

You could try the Moro belly; it's terribly good.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/sam-sam-clark-chicharrones-de-cadiz-recipe-pork

On the other hand, from time to time one must simply give in to temptation. The mixture of doner, shish, kofte and adana is clearly on your mind. Perhaps this is an itch which needs to be scratched.

redgunamo
10-19-2016, 01:24 PM

You lucky, lucky *******. I'm going here. You can practically taste the faddish faff and fussiness over the internets :-(

http://lido1960.de/

eastgermanautos
10-19-2016, 01:26 PM
You lucky, lucky *******. I'm going here. You can practically taste the faddish faff and fussiness over the internets :-(

Look at you, ciabatta, so *trendy.

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm alone tonight and have a large rib-eye and a suitable bready accompaniment to hand :rubshands:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/09/sam-sam-clark-chicharrones-de-cadiz-recipe-pork

On the other hand, from time to time one must simply give in to temptation. The mixture of doner, shish, kofte and adana is clearly on your mind. Perhaps this is an itch which needs to be scratched.

Oh, I certainly shall try the Moro. However, only one pig belly per week - that's the rule.

May I recommend the addition of the cheddar to your steak sandwich? I did it last night on a piggy whim (and because I was viciously hungry) and I do honestly believe it elevated the thing somewhat. I like ciabatta with a steak sandwich, as it's just the right balance between chewy and yielding.

The kebab man is winning at the moment, it's true. However, the special mixed is too much meat for one sitting.

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:28 PM

The chef's called 'Florian', r, which is not the name of a man likely to serve you manly, rugged food. :-(

IUFG
10-19-2016, 01:30 PM
I shall not waste the energy on such a futile act.

Get yourself down to the kebab shop. You know you want to :kebab:

Sir C
10-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Oh, I certainly shall try the Moro. However, only one pig belly per week - that's the rule.

May I recommend the addition of the cheddar to your steak sandwich? I did it last night on a piggy whim (and because I was viciously hungry) and I do honestly believe it elevated the thing somewhat. I like ciabatta with a steak sandwich, as it's just the right balance between chewy and yielding.

The kebab man is winning at the moment, it's true. However, the special mixed is too much meat for one sitting.

Cheddar, is it? Are we not in perilous danger of approaching what we know to be the Ultimate Dish, but are too scared to acknowledge as such? You know, a steak, covered in cheese, wrapped in bacon, deep-fired?

I have no excellent bread and am toying with the idea of the latkes.

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Cheddar, is it? Are we not in perilous danger of approaching what we know to be the Ultimate Dish, but are too scared to acknowledge as such? You know, a steak, covered in cheese, wrapped in bacon, deep-fired?

I have no excellent bread and am toying with the idea of the latkes.

:nono: While we know this to be true, we must never be tempted because to create such a thing because if it's as good as we imagine, all other meals will be rendered meaningless and if it doesn't live up to expectation, there will be nothing to aspire to. It must remain a platonic sandwich only.

Must admit, I've never made latkes. Whenever I've eaten them, they've been quite phenomenally greasy.

Sir C
10-19-2016, 01:37 PM
:nono: While we know this to be true, we must never be tempted because to create such a thing because if it's as good as we imagine, all other meals will be rendered meaningless and if it doesn't live up to expectation, there will be nothing to aspire to. It must remain a platonic sandwich only.

Must admit, I've never made latkes. Whenever I've eaten them, they've been quite phenomenally greasy.

I'm thinking that the steak would be filled with garlic butter, á la chicken Kiev; indeed, the whole thing might well be pannéed. Obviously it would be served as a sandwich.

They don't usually come out greasy. Perhaps mine are more rosti-ish than latke-y really. I think it's frying them in clarified butter that keeps them nice and light.

redgunamo
10-19-2016, 01:39 PM
The chef's called 'Florian', r, which is not the name of a man likely to serve you manly, rugged food. :-(

Indeed. I've actually devised a most cunning escape plan involving my sons feigning illness and then we four hitting the old town breweries for beers, bread and Haxen.

Norfolk Enchants :-|

TheCurly
10-19-2016, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking that the steak would be filled with garlic butter, á la chicken Kiev; indeed, the whole thing might well be pannéed. Obviously it would be served as a sandwich.

They don't usually come out greasy. Perhaps mine are more rosti-ish than latke-y really. I think it's frying them in clarified butter that keeps them nice and light.

Mrs C was out with her sisters after work last night Sir C
Being home alone my dinner consisted of a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes,a toasted soda and a cone from the ice-cream van.All-in-all a dinner worthy of an athlete like myself.

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:43 PM

Dear God, man! I've just realised what has to happen - a Veal Cordon Bleu Sandwich. How have I never thought of this before? It's so obvious!

Sir C
10-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Being home alone my dinner consisted of a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes,a toasted soda and a cone from the ice-cream van.All-in-all a dinner worthy of an athlete like myself.

Jaysus c. If b and I could get our hands on you for a weekend we'd have you wielding pans like a dervish, so we would.

I could teach you at least fifty ways to use eggs :cloud9:

Sir C
10-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Dear God, man! I've just realised what has to happen - a Veal Cordon Bleu Sandwich. How have I never thought of this before? It's so obvious!

Beautiful. Just... beautiful.

It would need a few finely sliced raw onion rings for crunch and definition.

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Indeed. I've actually devised a most cunning escape plan involving my sons feigning illness and then we four hitting the old town breweries for beers, bread and Haxen.

Norfolk Enchants :-|

I sympathise, I really do :-( My wife asked if I missed her when she called last night. I had eaten a fantastic sandwich, was burping contentedly in between guzzling claret and watching a Mel Gibson movie. The honest answer would have been 'No, not really'.

Fortunately, I'm not stupid. :nod:

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:51 PM
Beautiful. Just... beautiful.

It would need a few finely sliced raw onion rings for crunch and definition.

Yes. You have to be very careful introducing vegetables, of course. The onion and the mushroom are fine, of course, but many's the sarnie that's been destroyed by too much foliage (the Banh Mi being the honourable exception, of course). It would need crunch, though you're right. And some bacon.

Burney
10-19-2016, 01:52 PM

Have you gone vegetarian, c? :-(

redgunamo
10-19-2016, 01:54 PM
I sympathise, I really do :-( My wife asked if I missed her when she called last night. I had eaten a fantastic sandwich, was burping contentedly in between guzzling claret and watching a Mel Gibson movie. The honest answer would have been 'No, not really'.

Fortunately, I'm not stupid. :nod:

And the football's on tonight as well.

Which MG movie was it?

TheCurly
10-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Have you gone vegetarian, c? :-(

tbh B,if I didn't HAVE to eat I wouldn't.
Sometimes at weekends I would eat virtually nothing and only through Mrs C's nagging might I have a round of toast.I just wish the Tefal heads could come up with a pill like what you see in the fillums

Burney
10-19-2016, 02:11 PM
And the football's on tonight as well.

Which MG movie was it?

Latest one. Blood Father. Quite good, actually.

Burney
10-19-2016, 02:20 PM
tbh B,if I didn't HAVE to eat I wouldn't.
Sometimes at weekends I would eat virtually nothing and only through Mrs C's nagging might I have a round of toast.I just wish the Tefal heads could come up with a pill like what you see in the fillums

But food is a joyous thing, c. I feeds the body and soul. There are only so many good things in life and food is one of the biggies for me.

Monty92
10-19-2016, 02:38 PM

What the **** time do you people get home from work to be able to cook such elaborate meals and not be sitting down to eat after 10pm?

Burney
10-19-2016, 02:42 PM
What the **** time do you people get home from work to be able to cook such elaborate meals and not be sitting down to eat after 10pm?

Cooking my dinner last night took me about 15 minutes, m :shrug: And I don't think Sir C is suggesting I make the Moro tonight.