PDA

View Full Version : Two of the great critical thinkers of our age.

Sir C
10-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Jesus H Christ.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2016/oct/19/joey-barton-tells-owen-jones-homophobia-not-just-problem-in-football-video?CMP=twt_gu

Burney
10-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Jesus H Christ.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2016/oct/19/joey-barton-tells-owen-jones-homophobia-not-just-problem-in-football-video?CMP=twt_gu

Jones just retweeted some interview with your large-chinned chum Bruce. :-( That must have upset you a little.

Sir C
10-19-2016, 10:39 AM
Jones just retweeted some interview with your large-chinned chum Bruce. :-( That must have upset you a little.

Did he? Was it the Trump is a moron one?

Burney
10-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Did he? Was it the Trump is a moron one?

Yes. It was all very obvious and 15 year-old lefty. :-(

Monty92
10-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Jesus H Christ.

Surely it’s unrealistic that homophobia will ever be as stigmatised as racism, because unlike blackness, gayness will never stop being funny. So even when the gays are fully accepted on moral grounds (something we all support), they will still be a target for ridicule for sticking their willies in other men's bums, and for the mincing.

In contrast, there is not really anything about being black that is a cause for ridicule.

Unless you run the British Army twitter account :-|

Monty92
10-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Yes. It was all very obvious and 15 year-old lefty. :-(

He came across quite well on Channel 4 and Newsnight yesterday. Critical of Trump, but in ways no-one could really dispute, and quite honest about what created him. He also emphasised not everyone who supported him is racist.

Sir C
10-19-2016, 10:46 AM
He came across quite well on Channel 4 and Newsnight yesterday. Critical of Trump, but in ways no-one could really dispute, and quite honest about what created him. He also emphasised not everyone who supported him is racist.

He's always so reasonable, always acknowledging that every issue has more than one argument... :cloud9:

Still essentially a bit lefty, mind.

Burney
10-19-2016, 10:47 AM

I may be doing him a disservice, then. I'm just going on the bit Jones retweeted. Fair play to him if he did acknowledge where Trump really comes from, since this is an issue the cultural left are quite keen to avoid in my experience - what with it being basically their fault.

TheCurly
10-19-2016, 10:49 AM
I may be doing him a disservice, then. I'm just going on the bit Jones retweeted. Fair play to him if he did acknowledge where Trump really comes from, since this is an issue the cultural left are quite keen to avoid in my experience - what with it being basically their fault.

You think too much,b :-(

Burney
10-19-2016, 10:51 AM
You think too much,b :-(

You're not the first to tell me this, c. :-(

TheCurly
10-19-2016, 10:53 AM
You're not the first to tell me this, c. :-(

I'm happy just plodding along throwing my ill conceived ideas into random mixers :cloud9:

Monty92
10-19-2016, 10:53 AM

What gets me is the barefaced lie that it's his bigotry and ignorance that makes him so hated and unfit for office. It's not at all - there are people far better at managing their image who are still vilified. Nigel Farage, being the obvious example in the UK, but pretty much any politician on the right today who questions the liberal concensus is considered a bigot.

Please god someone smarter steps into his shoes after he loses and keeps fighting the good fight.

Sir C
10-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Surely it’s unrealistic that homophobia will ever be as stigmatised as racism, because unlike blackness, gayness will never stop being funny. So even when the gays are fully accepted on moral grounds (something we all support), they will still be a target for ridicule for sticking their willies in other men's bums, and for the mincing.

In contrast, there is not really anything about being black that is a cause for ridicule.

Unless you run the British Army twitter account :-|

Oh, I don't know, a fella with a bone through his nose tending a cauldron containing a missionary is quite a funny image.

Luis Anaconda
10-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Oh, I don't know, a fella with a bone through his nose tending a cauldron containing a missionary is quite a funny image.

Is this a new restaurant in the West End, C

Burney
10-19-2016, 10:59 AM
What gets me is the barefaced lie that it's his bigotry and ignorance that makes him so hated and unfit for office. It's not at all - there are people far better at managing their image who are still vilified. Nigel Farage, being the obvious example in the UK, but pretty much any politician on the right and who questions the liberal concensus is considered a bigot.

Please god someone smarter steps into his shoes after he loses and keeps fighting the good fight.

Oh, yes. He appeals firmly to some of the sweet spots of the white electoral opinion that the liberal consensus would prefer not to exist at all. They hate him for even bringing certain opinions and arguments above ground at all.

He's scared the crap out of the Republican Party because he's made them realise their base isn't what they thought it was - being way to the right of them on some issues and way to the left of them on others. Unless they realign to reflect that, they're in serious trouble.

Burney
10-19-2016, 11:00 AM

A clown's being cooked in a pot. One cannibal turns to the other and says 'Does this taste funny to you?'

:cooper:

Monty92
10-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Oh, yes. He appeals firmly to some of the sweet spots of the white electoral opinion that the liberal consensus would prefer not to exist at all. They hate him for even bringing certain opinions and arguments above ground at all.

He's scared the crap out of the Republican Party because he's made them realise their base isn't what they thought it was - being way to the right of them on some issues and way to the left of them on others. Unless they realign to reflect that, they're in serious trouble.

On another note, funny how this got forgetten as the saintly Obama went about his business of solving America's racial problems over the past 8 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2LMJcRIg

Burney
10-19-2016, 11:16 AM
On another note, funny how this got forgetten as the saintly Obama went about his business of solving America's racial problems over the past 8 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2LMJcRIg

Oh, let's not pretend that Obama's race hasn't been an absolutely massive benefit to him while in office. It's meant his side won't criticise him and it's allowed any criticism by the other side to be easily dismissed as racially-motivated. Fair play to him - you use what you've got.

Monty92
10-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Oh, let's not pretend that Obama's race hasn't been an absolutely massive benefit to him while in office. It's meant his side won't criticise him and it's allowed any criticism by the other side to be easily dismissed as racially-motivated. Fair play to him - you use what you've got.

Oh I don't mind - I just hate the fawning because he's black and charismatic.

We had a chap round for lunch last weekend who was virtue signalling about the prospect of the first female American President and I said let's hope she does more for women than Obama has done for blacks. He looked stunned.

redgunamo
10-19-2016, 11:25 AM

:nod: We visited one or two of the more "lively" areas of Detroit and Chicago recently and it's otherwise impossible to imagine what makes people there vote blue all the time.

Burney
10-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Oh I don't mind - I just hate the fawning because he's black and charismatic.

We had a chap round for lunch last weekend who was virtue signalling about the prospect of the first female American President and I said let's hope she does more for women than Obama has done for blacks. He looked stunned.

Why are you inviting that sort of person into your home? :-(

The thing is, though, that in the world of identity politics being a woman is nowhere near as powerful a card to play as being black. She won't get anywhere near the level of protection that Obama's had.

Burney
10-19-2016, 11:29 AM
:nod: We visited one or two of the more "lively" areas of Detroit and Chicago recently and it's otherwise impossible to imagine what makes people there vote blue all the time.

Don't ask me, r. Why do people in Rotherham vote Labour? It's habit, I guess - and lack of alternatives.

redgunamo
10-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Don't ask me, r. Why do people in Rotherham vote Labour? It's habit, I guess - and lack of alternatives.

Tribal Voting, I suppose. Completely defeats the object of the thing.

Perhaps the only real, honest alternative is to just leave and let them get on with it.

Sir C
10-19-2016, 11:40 AM
A clown's being cooked in a pot. One cannibal turns to the other and says 'Does this taste funny to you?'

:cooper:

Two cannibals decide to share a missionary in the fairest possible way; one will start from the head and the other from the feet.

Cannibal A: Are you having a good time?
Cannibal B: Oh man I'm having a ball!
Cannibal A: You're eating too fast!

As I recall from junior school, the cannibal discourse should be read in a Jim Davidson 'darkie next door' accent.

Good times.

Burney
10-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Two cannibals decide to share a missionary in the fairest possible way; one will start from the head and the other from the feet.

Cannibal A: Are you having a good time?
Cannibal B: Oh man I'm having a ball!
Cannibal A: You're eating too fast!

As I recall from junior school, the cannibal discourse should be read in a Jim Davidson 'darkie next door' accent.

Good times.

His 'Chalky White', you mean? Thing that always struck me about that was that it was deeply a terrible impression of a West Indian.

Lenny Henry's was much better.

redgunamo
10-19-2016, 11:46 AM
His 'Chalky White', you mean? Thing that always struck me about that was that it was deeply a terrible impression of a West Indian.

Lenny Henry's was much better.

They both worked for me; I'd never met a West Indian at that time.

Sir C
10-19-2016, 11:48 AM
They both worked for me; I'd never met a West Indian at that time.

He grew up two streets away from me in Kidbrooke, did Jim, and the accent seemed spot on to me. Perhaps there was a peculiar corner of south east London that nurtured this strange patois.