PDA

View Full Version : So, Phil Collins is to play live again.

Sir C
10-18-2016, 12:10 PM
I think he should go on tour with James Blunt and Coldplay, and at the end of each show they should put videos of themselves counting the money on youtube, just to properly boil the piss of the too-cool-for-school Netto Tony Parsons and Julie Burchills who seem so much in evidence among people of a certain age.

redgunamo
10-18-2016, 12:12 PM
I think he should go on tour with James Blunt and Coldplay, and at the end of each show they should put videos of themselves counting the money on youtube, just to properly boil the piss of the too-cool-for-school Netto Tony Parsons and Julie Burchills who seem so much in evidence among people of a certain age.

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with Phil Collins, imo.

Burney
10-18-2016, 12:13 PM

Face Value and Hello, I Must Be Going are just plain good albums. :shrug:

Beyond that, not so much...

redgunamo
10-18-2016, 12:18 PM

There was an interview with him in The Guardian the other month. He seems a decent enough sort.

Now, ordinarily, of course, one doesn't do gossip and tittle-tattle and all that rot but, in light of his old Miami Vice connections, I felt it may reveal some tasty titbit or other.

Sir C
10-18-2016, 12:19 PM

Face Value I'd agree on, Hello... not so much. A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering were great.

The later Genesis stuff was just dull, bland pop, but lots of people liked it, so why not? No reason to hate the bloke, imo.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
10-18-2016, 12:26 PM

I may have to take the wife. :-\ I know none of his stuff other than what has made the Hit Parade...is there anything any good?

redgunamo
10-18-2016, 12:28 PM
I may have to take the wife. :-\ I know none of his stuff other than what has made the Hit Parade...is there anything any good?

Oh, no worries! Loads of stuff.

I'd imagine..

Sir C
10-18-2016, 12:29 PM

He's only going to do the chart stuff, isn't he? But most of it is cheerful enough.

Actually, I wonder if, not having heard it for years, something like Sussudio might just sound like what it originally was - a bloody good pop song. :shrug:

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
10-18-2016, 12:31 PM
He's only going to do the chart stuff, isn't he? But most of it is cheerful enough.

Actually, I wonder if, not having heard it for years, something like Sussudio might just sound like what it originally was - a bloody good pop song. :shrug:

Actually - I've just checked when the concerts are...we'll be out of the country :cloud9: (unless the £ is parity with the Turkish lira) Phew, that was close...

Burney
10-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Mind you, that one about the homelesses was properly shíte

Sir C
10-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Mind you, that one about the homelesses was properly shíte

Is there a better post-nuclear apocalypse muse than 'Afterglow', though?

Ash
10-18-2016, 12:36 PM

Apart from all those singles, of course, which for some people's musical appreciation systems, were like fingernails down a blackboard.

He's bascially the musical equivalent of coriander.

redgunamo
10-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Apart from all those singles, of course, which for some people's musical appreciation systems, were like fingernails down a blackboard.

He's bascially the musical equivalent of coriander.

I gather it's no easy task, playing drums and leading the vocals altogether?

Ash
10-18-2016, 12:44 PM
I gather it's no easy task, playing drums and leading the vocals altogether?

Sure. One doesn't have to dispute the technical qualities of an artistic construction for it to be rendered personally distasteful.

redgunamo
10-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Sure. One doesn't have to dispute the technical qualities of an artistic construction for it to be rendered personally distasteful.

Right. Only on the school playground.