PDA

View Full Version : One has great sympathy for the Thai people at the moment.

Sir C
10-14-2016, 09:41 AM
Not only have they lost their beloved king, who was the one unifying force keeping a lid on tensions, but the military junta are clearly delaying the accession of the (deeply unpopular) Crown Prince. There is only one real likely outcome, and that is major civil unrest and a brutal military response. :-(

On the plus side, Morrissey's gig in Bangkok has been cancelled tonight. So at least they've been spared that.

Burney
10-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Not only have they lost their beloved king, who was the one unifying force keeping a lid on tensions, but the military junta are clearly delaying the accession of the (deeply unpopular) Crown Prince. There is only one real likely outcome, and that is major civil unrest and a brutal military response. :-(

On the plus side, Morrissey's gig in Bangkok has been cancelled tonight. So at least they've been spared that.

The Crown Prince's missus likes to have dinner wearing just a thong, bless her. And he made his poodle an Air Commodore or something.

And here he is just back from his holibobs in a very fetching outfit. All in all, this isn't going to end well, is it?

Sir C
10-14-2016, 10:28 AM
The Crown Prince's missus likes to have dinner wearing just a thong, bless her. And he made his poodle an Air Commodore or something.

And here he is just back from his holibobs in a very fetching outfit. All in all, this isn't going to end well, is it?

I think he's divorced that one now. There are several ex-Crown Princesses, anyway. Pleasingly, the poodle's name is Foo Foo.

He seems like an absolutely top fella to me, but the Thais haven't taken to him. His one way back into their hearts might be, of course, that he's best mates with Thaksin, but the junta aren't going to allow that relationship to be the back door to the triumphant return of the overly-enthusiastic rice subsidiser.

All in all, the outlook is grim.

redgunamo
10-14-2016, 10:29 AM

She ate that little dog? :-(

Burney
10-14-2016, 10:35 AM
I think he's divorced that one now. There are several ex-Crown Princesses, anyway. Pleasingly, the poodle's name is Foo Foo.

He seems like an absolutely top fella to me, but the Thais haven't taken to him. His one way back into their hearts might be, of course, that he's best mates with Thaksin, but the junta aren't going to allow that relationship to be the back door to the triumphant return of the overly-enthusiastic rice subsidiser.

All in all, the outlook is grim.

Weren't you planning to retire, Kurtz-like to the Thai jungle at one point? Probably best to bin that idea, I reckon.

I liked the old King's name - Bhumibol. It always sounded so cuddly. Mind you, I won't miss his rather unpleasant fizzog and uncertain dentistry beaming down at me from every Thai restaurant I eat in.

Burney
10-14-2016, 10:36 AM
She ate that little dog? :-(

No. You can't go around eating Air Commodores, r. This isn't Uganda.

Sir C
10-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Weren't you planning to retire, Kurtz-like to the Thai jungle at one point? Probably best to bin that idea, I reckon.

I liked the old King's name - Bhumibol. It always sounded so cuddly. Mind you, I won't miss his rather unpleasant fizzog and uncertain dentistry beaming down at me from every Thai restaurant I eat in.

Well, it's either Thailand, Cambodia, the Langedoc or Norfolk, I haven't finally decided.

At the current rate, Norfolk might be the only affordable option.

Ash
10-14-2016, 10:43 AM
I liked the old King's name - Bhumibol. It always sounded so cuddly.

Sounds like a medical product. Perhaps an ointment for boils on the bum.

redgunamo
10-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Well, it's either Thailand, Cambodia, the Langedoc or Norfolk, I haven't finally decided.

I gather Thailand is rather good for that sort of thing, I have many former colleagues who have retired there to bush hut and beach to "think about things".

People leave you alone there apparently.

Sir C
10-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a medical product. Perhaps an ointment for boils on the bum.

Saying that in Thailand is enough to get you 5 years in chokey. They really are very, very touchy about royal dignity.

(I appreciate that you aren't currently in Thailand, of course. It's just a heads-up in case you should decide to visit.)

redgunamo
10-14-2016, 10:46 AM
No. You can't go around eating Air Commodores, r. This isn't Uganda.

The Kennel Club doesn't recognise them anyway, so **** 'em.

Burney
10-14-2016, 10:46 AM

I didn't know you fancied Norfolk. Whereabouts? North coast?

Burney
10-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Saying that in Thailand is enough to get you 5 years in chokey. They really are very, very touchy about royal dignity.

(I appreciate that you aren't currently in Thailand, of course. It's just a heads-up in case you should decide to visit.)

That said, it would have been good if Morrissey had decided to regale them with his trenchant views on monarchy :hehe:

Sir C
10-14-2016, 10:48 AM
I gather Thailand is rather good for that sort of thing, I have many former colleagues who have retired there to bush hut and beach to "think about things".

People leave you alone there apparently.

Certainly. Outside the big cities one is treated as a mild curiosity and no more. No one cares what the crazy farangs get up to as long as they maintain a jai yin and dish out the baht regularly. Mai pen rai, r.

Sir C
10-14-2016, 10:50 AM
I didn't know you fancied Norfolk. Whereabouts? North coast?

:nod: Always have. Big skies, you see? From horizon to horizon, nothing but sky. Great flying country.

I haven't considered a particular area. One of those cute Constable-evoking villages, I suppose.

Sir C
10-14-2016, 10:51 AM
That said, it would have been good if Morrissey had decided to regale them with his trenchant views on monarchy :hehe:

Well, 'good' if you'd enjoy watching him being torn limb from limb.

So, good, then.

Burney
10-14-2016, 10:54 AM
:nod: Always have. Big skies, you see? From horizon to horizon, nothing but sky. Great flying country.

I haven't considered a particular area. One of those cute Constable-evoking villages, I suppose.

Well the North coast isn't really like that, of course. It's more rugged and windswept. My only worry about Norfolk would be possible winter bleakness. The wind comes straight off the Urals with nothing to stop it getting into your bones.

redgunamo
10-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Certainly. Outside the big cities one is treated as a mild curiosity and no more. No one cares what the crazy farangs get up to as long as they maintain a jai yin and dish out the baht regularly. Mai pen rai, r.

Whatever that means.

Anyway, think: Cary Grant in Father Goose, trying to drown his CIA/DEA/Golden Triangle past in strong drink, before that French trollop and her squadron of schoolgirls turns up and spoils it all.

Ash
10-14-2016, 11:01 AM

Have you taken a stroll on the Hoo peninsula? I was there last weekend. Atmospheric and hardly met a soul. Marshes, big skies, huge cargo ships, wildlife, old bits of what look like WW2 defenses. Pip & Magwitch country. You almost imagine the prison hulks by Egypt Bay and the rattling chains of prisoners.

Pokster
10-14-2016, 11:06 AM
I haven't considered a particular area. One of those cute Constable-evoking villages, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was Suffolk?

Sir C
10-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Have you taken a stroll on the Hoo peninsula? I was there last weekend. Atmospheric and hardly met a soul. Marshes, big skies, huge cargo ships, wildlife, old bits of what look like WW2 defenses. Pip & Magwitch country. You almost imagine the prison hulks by Egypt Bay and the rattling chains of prisoners.

The glw drags me there sometimes to look for birds. Indeed, one morning in June she woke me at 3 a.m. so we could be there for sunrise to hear nightingales.

Did you not think it inclined to the bleak?

Ash
10-14-2016, 11:37 AM
I thought that was Suffolk?

I'm pretty sure these Folk all piss in the same pot.

Ash
10-14-2016, 11:42 AM
The glw drags me there sometimes to look for birds. Indeed, one morning in June she woke me at 3 a.m. so we could be there for sunrise to hear nightingales.

Oh yes, definitely bleak. It does good to do a bit of bleak now and again imo. Enriches the soul. I used to visit Tilbury as a kid before they built the docks to get some of that atmosphere. Got the ferry over from Gravesend and wandered round by the fort, soaking up the desolation.

It must have been wonderfully romantic to hear the nightingales at dawn. :hehe:

TheCurly
10-14-2016, 11:44 AM

I think you'll find 3:00am is a coming home time and most certainly not a getting up time

Sir C
10-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Oh yes, definitely bleak. It does good to do a bit of bleak now and again imo. Enriches the soul. I used to visit Tilbury as a kid before they built the docks to get some of that atmosphere. Got the ferry over from Gravesend and wandered round by the fort, soaking up the desolation.

It must have been wonderfully romantic to hear the nightingales at dawn. :hehe:

I used to get that ferry when I delivered cars to Tilbury docks. :cloud9:

What was nice was getting home at 7 a.m. on a beautiful summer's morning and cooking a massive fry up. That made it seem worthwhile.

Sir C
10-14-2016, 11:48 AM

I thought that was Suffolk?[/QUOTE]

There's a difference? :shrug:

Ash
10-14-2016, 11:57 AM
I used to get that ferry when I delivered cars to Tilbury docks. :cloud9:

What was nice was getting home at 7 a.m. on a beautiful summer's morning and cooking a massive fry up. That made it seem worthwhile.

Remember the Three Dawes? I used to drink in there on occasion.

Presumably you were allowed to go back to bed after breakfast.

Sir C
10-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Remember the Three Dawes? I used to drink in there on occasion.

Presumably you were allowed to go back to bed after breakfast.

I had no time for drinking, sadly.

I think I snoozed on the sofa for most of the day tbh.

Luis Anaconda
10-14-2016, 12:03 PM

I was in Thailand on his birthday once - they closed all the bars. They did seem to quite fond of the old chap though

Sir C
10-14-2016, 12:06 PM
I was in Thailand on his birthday once - they closed all the bars. They did seem to quite fond of the old chap though

Should you ever again find yourself in this emergency situation, head immediately for the nearest Laotian-owned bar or restaurant, where the booze will be flowing freely, since they give not a fúck for ridiculous laws when there is money to be taken.

I'm pleased to hear that they were keen on your old chap, la.