PDA

View Full Version : Dylan's won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Burney
10-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Fùckssake. :hehe:

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 11:09 AM

He won it for Prince obviously #TeamMinnesota

Burney
10-13-2016, 11:11 AM
He won it for Prince obviously #TeamMinnesota

Who can forget Bob's deathless literary contributions, such as *coughs* *clearsthroatloudly*

"I HAD A PONY
HER NAME WAS LUCIFER..."

Luis Anaconda
10-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Who can forget Bob's deathless literary contributions, such as *coughs* *clearsthroatloudly*

"I HAD A PONY
HER NAME WAS LUCIFER..."

that is beautiful, man

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Something I always wanted to know B
Does one win it for won book? Or a lifetime achievement mabobby?

Burney
10-13-2016, 11:18 AM

Fùck alone knows, c. Scandies, you see? Completely hatstand and liable to do the oddest things.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 11:20 AM

He won it for "poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".

So basically, **** knows.

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 11:22 AM

How many roads must a man walk down,r?
These are the burning questions of the age.
Well deserved,then

Burney
10-13-2016, 11:23 AM

Some people can't accept liking pop music without having to imbue it with literary merit. Such people are knobs.

Burney
10-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Well deserved,then

He also asked how many times the cannonballs had to fly approximately a century after everyone had stopped using cannonballs.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Well deserved,then

I liked that Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid song. Mama take this badge off of me and a' that.

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 11:27 AM
I liked that Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid song. Mama take this badge off of me and a' that.

Lyrically I love Idiot Wind
"They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky"

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Some people can't accept liking pop music without having to imbue it with literary merit. Such people are knobs.

Right. That's why songs about getting beered up and snogging birds rarely win prizes.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 11:28 AM

Right. That's why songs about getting beered up and snogging birds rarely win prizes.

Burney
10-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Lyrically I love Idiot Wind
"They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky"

I always liked

I've been meek
And hard like an oak
I seen pretty people disappear like smoke
Friends will arrive friends will disappear
If you want me,
Honey baby I'll be here.

but in the same song he had the appalling lines

"Little red wagon
Little red bike
I ain't no monkey but I know what I like"

...which rather ruined things.

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 11:38 AM

To be fair to the man,he's been in the "business" for 50 odd years.Not as relevant today as he was back in the day but even so...

Burney
10-13-2016, 11:41 AM
To be fair to the man,he's been in the "business" for 50 odd years.Not as relevant today as he was back in the day but even so...

I love the old boy, don't get me wrong, but literature he ain't - and none the worse for it.

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 11:44 AM
I love the old boy, don't get me wrong, but literature he ain't - and none the worse for it.

I know what you mean
It'll be Eminem next :-(

World's End Stella
10-13-2016, 12:52 PM
'dropping a barbell he points to the sky and says 'the sun's not yellow, it's chicken' - or something close to that, anyway.

Always liked that one, Tombstone Blues, I think. Possibly Highway 61 Revisited, one of the first albums I ever bought.

Oh for the days when you looked forward to someone's latest album, rushed out to buy it and then listened to it endlessly. :-(

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 01:02 PM

He was too prophetic and visionary to be relevant, imo. His ideas seem old hat even now.

eastgermanautos
10-13-2016, 03:21 PM
He was too prophetic and visionary to be relevant, imo. His ideas seem old hat even now.

He's such a teacher's pet. I believe they should give it to Zeppelin. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones on base, and John Bonham on drums (posthumously awarded).

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 03:24 PM
He's such a teacher's pet. I believe they should give it to Zeppelin. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones on base, and John Bonham on drums (posthumously awarded).
Yes,indeed.
"You've been learning
Um baby I been learning
All them good times baby, baby I've been year-yearning"
Positively Nabokovian

Ash
10-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Yes,indeed.
"You've been learning
Um baby I been learning
All them good times baby, baby I've been year-yearning"
Positively Nabokovian

Nick Cave is one example of a geniunely good writer in popular music. Some of his Birthday Party lyrics, and on From Her to Eternity were superb. And of course he was eventually a Penguin-published novelist.

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 03:37 PM
Nick Cave is one example of a geniunely good writer in popular music. Some of his Birthday Party lyrics, and on From Her to Eternity were superb. And of course he was eventually a Penguin-published novelist.

:nod: I love the lyrics on the won he did wif Kylie

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
10-13-2016, 03:42 PM

I would heartily recommend his latest, Skeleton Tree. Bearing in mind the tragedy which happened during the recording, it is a truly remarkable piece of work, if not particularly easy listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugvL86i9Y-4

eastgermanautos
10-13-2016, 03:53 PM
I would heartily recommend his latest, Skeleton Tree. Bearing in mind the tragedy which happened during the recording, it is a truly remarkable piece of work, if not particularly easy listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugvL86i9Y-4

Also the murder ballads. :nod:

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 03:55 PM
:nod: I love the lyrics on the won he did wif Kylie

No, that was Stock, Aitken & Waterman.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
10-13-2016, 05:45 PM
No, that was Stock, Aitken & Waterman.
:hehe: :clap: wd reg.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Also the murder ballads. :nod:

Aah, the murder ballad. Such a shame that inner city darkies get all the blame for that honest and ancient lyrical and poetic custom nowadays, when really it was the Scots and the Germans wot invented and popularised it.

It's racial prejudice gone mad, I tell you! I blame Tipper Gore.

Mo Britain less Europe
10-14-2016, 02:48 AM
Dylan is a very talented songwriter, although I've never really liked his singing. But if anyone in the business merited consideration for this it was surely Leonard Cohen. His poetry will stand the test of time even if his novels are unreadable.

Ash
10-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Dylan is a very talented songwriter, although I've never really liked his singing. But if anyone in the business merited consideration for this it was surely Leonard Cohen. His poetry will stand the test of time even if his novels are unreadable.

Yes, singing is a generous word for it. Good shout about old Len.