PDA

View Full Version : 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings tomorrow

Burney
10-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Bit conflicted about that one, to be honest. On the one hand, I acknowledge that Anglo Saxon England was probably a better, fairer place than Norman England. And I acknowledge that the Normans were horrible fùckers.

On the other hand, my ancestors wouldn't have got here (and subsequently to Ireland) without Norman victory at the Battle of Hastings, so I probably wouldn't exist without it. :-\

barrybueno
10-13-2016, 12:29 PM
'If we win, we get Hastings' :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
10-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Bit conflicted about that one, to be honest. On the one hand, I acknowledge that Anglo Saxon England was probably a better, fairer place than Norman England. And I acknowledge that the Normans were horrible fùckers.

On the other hand, my ancestors wouldn't have got here (and subsequently to Ireland) without Norman victory at the Battle of Hastings, so I probably wouldn't exist without it. :-\

ffs b - spoiler alert. I've got Battle of the Day recorded and I haven't got round to watching that one. Harold Out

Ash
10-13-2016, 12:46 PM

Oh, you needn't worry about that. Applying Chaos Theory almost certainly means that none of us would be here were it not for William the Bustard, such is the influence of even the most insignificant events in history over enough time, let alone the huge ones.

In fact many of us wouldn't even be here were it not for Adolf Hitler and WW2. The chances of any of us existing hinge on chance meetings and chance conceptions at chance timings. Nothing like the Blitz scattering Londoners far and wide, then back again, to stir up the pot. And nothing like the Blitz to influence the conception of a person born in 1942, in fact.

Ash
10-13-2016, 12:47 PM
ffs b - spoiler alert. I've got Battle of the Day recorded and I haven't got round to watching that one. Harold Out

His boys were a little bit short after a tough midweek encounter at Stamford Bridge, tbf.

Burney
10-13-2016, 01:09 PM
His boys were a little bit short after a tough midweek encounter at Stamford Bridge, tbf.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you have to juggle European fixtures with a tough domestic schedule imo :-(