PDA

View Full Version : Have I mentioned that roast dinners are now acceptable again in the WES household?

World's End Stella
10-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Mostly because my leg of lamb with mint gravy was an utter triumph the other weekend.

Roasties and Yorkshires spot on as well.

Well done, me.

Burney
10-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Mostly because my leg of lamb with mint gravy was an utter triumph the other weekend.

Well done, me.

Don't hold with Mint gravy. Gravy - Yes. Mint sauce - Yes. Mint Gravy - No.

Sir C
10-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Well done, me.

'Roasties'. Onward and onward rolls the infantilisation of the English language. I'm not blaming you here wes, simply regretting that the use of such terms has become acceptable - nay, mainstream. Uni, roasties and, erm, I can't think of any others right now, but I know they exist and I know they are destroying the very fabric of our great empire.

World's End Stella
10-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Don't hold with Mint gravy. Gravy - Yes. Mint sauce - Yes. Mint Gravy - No.

Shirley not, Burney. The mint brings a lovely acidity to the gravy and mint and lamb is just so perfect. Twas superb.

And slow roasted leg of lamb, of course. Leg of lamb is unpleasant otherwise.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 08:56 AM

Well done, me.

Are you a good cook?

World's End Stella
10-13-2016, 08:58 AM
'Roasties'. Onward and onward rolls the infantilisation of the English language. I'm not blaming you here wes, simply regretting that the use of such terms has become acceptable - nay, mainstream. Uni, roasties and, erm, I can't think of any others right now, but I know they exist and I know they are destroying the very fabric of our great empire.

I'm a roast dinner hipster, me, Charles. Although I've heard Frimmers use the term (twas from him I think I got it) so it can't be too trendy.

World's End Stella
10-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Are you a good cook?

No.

I'm f*cking exceptional. Two levels at Manoir Quat Saisons 'n all. Raymond perved at my missus, as well. Bloody Frenchies.

Sir C
10-13-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm a roast dinner hipster, me, Charles. Although I've heard Frimmers use the term (twas from him I think I got it) so it can't be too trendy.

It is a repulsive excrescence and fills me with nausea.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 09:14 AM
No.

I'm f*cking exceptional. Two levels at Manoir Quat Saisons 'n all. Raymond perved at my missus, as well. Bloody Frenchies.

That means nothing to me, I'm afraid, except that I was born not too far from there and have guested there a few times.

Anyone who cheerfully accepts the onerous task of preparing food is aces, in my book, so long as I can slouch nearby slurping decent claret and maybe offering mere moral support. In my experience, no such excellent sport ever admits to actually being rubbish at cooking only that they always put their hand up for it and nobody really cares so long as there's plenty of strong drink and they themselves are saved the bother.

Well played.

Burney
10-13-2016, 09:19 AM
That means nothing to me, I'm afraid, except that I was born not too far from there and have guested there a few times.

Anyone who cheerfully accepts the onerous task of preparing food is aces, in my book, so long as I can slouch nearby slurping decent claret and maybe offering mere moral support. In my experience, no such excellent sport ever admits to actually being rubbish at cooking only that they always put their hand up for it and nobody really cares so long as there's plenty of strong drink and they themselves are saved the bother.

Well played.

I'm sure you'd pitch in and peel a spud or chop a bit of veg if asked, though, wouldn't you? You're a clubbable sort of chap.

Chaps cooking together can be rather fun. Cooking with a woman is not recommended, however.

Burney
10-13-2016, 09:20 AM

Is 'snert' not a contraction?

Sir C
10-13-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm sure you'd pitch in and peel a spud or chop a bit of veg if asked, though, wouldn't you? You're a clubbable sort of chap.

Chaps cooking together can be rather fun. Cooking with a woman is not recommended, however.

How very, very true. See also playing sport, drinking, and sexytime.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 09:24 AM

No. That's what my sons are for.

I drink.

Burney
10-13-2016, 09:28 AM
How very, very true. See also playing sport, drinking, and sexytime.

Drinking with women usually falls down on the fact that they can't take the volume and can get a bit messy if they try to keep up.

Burney
10-13-2016, 09:30 AM
No. That's what my sons are for.

I drink.

It is possible to cook and drink at the same time. Sir C and I have established this through hours of painstaking field research.

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 09:40 AM
It is possible to cook and drink at the same time. Sir C and I have established this through hours of painstaking field research.

Sure. I do Christmas lunch and barbecues (rubbishly, of course, because one simply doesn't get the practice). But the ladies of the house feel their responsibilities in this matter very strongly and it just wouldn't do to interfere with their duty in any way. The preparing of food for everyone, I mean. Not the drinking.

World's End Stella
10-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Sure. I do Christmas lunch and barbecues (rubbishly, of course, because one simply doesn't get the practice). But the ladies of the house feel their responsibilities in this matter very strongly and it just wouldn't do to interfere with their duty in any way. The preparing of food for everyone, I mean. Not the drinking.

I cook and drink, then I eat and drink, then I fall asleep on the couch, sometimes while drinking :-\