PDA

View Full Version : To lighten the mood a little................

PSRB
10-12-2016, 12:36 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/12/english-man-spends-11-hours-trying-to-make-cup-of-tea-with-wi-fi-kettle

A wi-fi kettle, ffs

Ash
10-12-2016, 12:46 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/12/english-man-spends-11-hours-trying-to-make-cup-of-tea-with-wi-fi-kettle

A wi-fi kettle, ffs

I hate the future. Especially now that it's arrived. :-(

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 12:51 PM

A wi-fi kettle, ffs

I can not see any benefit whatsoever to this invention.

You may think for a second it's good for someone with mobility issues, then you realise they will still need to go to the kettle once it's boiled. Plus it will need to be filled.

Years ago I saw a bloke on the tv put a couple of rashers of bacon on a george forman grill before he want to bed and it had a timer on the socket so he'd wake up to the smell of bacon :shrug: It may not have been real.

I do like these lightbulbs you can get that you can operate with your phone however.
I always wanted a clapper after seeing them on American telly.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 12:54 PM
I hate the future. Especially now that it's arrived. :-(

They are advertising those Ring.com doorbells now over hear.
I thought it was a good idea but it's a bit excessive imo.

If someone rings the doorbell and you are not there and they are delivering a parcel to be signed for what are you going to say?
Sorry I am taking a **** right now I can't sign for it.

Plus the design of the bell is obvious so a burglar will recongnise it.

Also this motion sensor stuff is good but if you are in bed and your phone starts alerting you it's unsettling.

I prefer the idea of a security camera you could keep an eye on from your phone when you were on holiday.

PSRB
10-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I can not see any benefit whatsoever to this invention.

You may think for a second it's good for someone with mobility issues, then you realise they will still need to go to the kettle once it's boiled. Plus it will need to be filled.

Years ago I saw a bloke on the tv put a couple of rashers of bacon on a george forman grill before he want to bed and it had a timer on the socket so he'd wake up to the smell of bacon :shrug: It may not have been real.

I do like these lightbulbs you can get that you can operate with your phone however.
I always wanted a clapper after seeing them on American telly.

Switch the kettle on when your 5 minutes away from home so you can make a brew on arrival.....but yes, it's *******s. Wi-fi heating I get but not fridges, kettles, etc

Sir C
10-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Switch the kettle on when your 5 minutes away from home so you can make a brew on arrival.....but yes, it's *******s. Wi-fi heating I get but not fridges, kettles, etc

I read a thing about the wifi fridge. It senses when you take the milk out but don't return the empty bottle, so it orders you more milk.

I don't fúcking drink milk, Wánkers.

PSRB
10-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I read a thing about the wifi fridge. It senses when you take the milk out but don't return the empty bottle, so it orders you more milk.

Handy on a beer fridge though

For beer, not milk, that would be silly

Ash
10-12-2016, 01:08 PM

I refuse to even use Wi-Fi heating. It only takes the flat a few minutes to warm up. Waste of energy having another device plugged in all day.

IUFG
10-12-2016, 01:21 PM
:nod: got cheapo IP cameras for when we go away.

More to keep an eye on the neighbour, I think, who comes in to feeds the cats.

make sure there is no ****ing into the Mrs' knicker drawer, etc

Sir C
10-12-2016, 01:24 PM
I refuse to even use Wi-Fi heating. It only takes the flat a few minutes to warm up. Waste of energy having another device plugged in all day.

My m-i-l refuses to use wifi at all because 'they monitor it'. I think she means GCHQ, although she spends most of her time reading Russia Today so it could be the CIA watching her, I suppose. :-(

Burney
10-12-2016, 01:34 PM

They could also have sensors that can tell when things are going off and order more for you. Although, knowing you, I suspect you'd have chucked anything that even threatened to be off long before the fridge noticed it

Sir C
10-12-2016, 01:37 PM
They could also have sensors that can tell when things are going off and order more for you. Although, knowing you, I suspect you'd have chucked anything that even threatened to be off long before the fridge noticed it

It's all cobblers. They tried to make me have something on my phone to control the central heating. Apparently I'm supposed to let the house get cold when I'm not in it, only heating it up when I'm due home.

Sick. Fúcks.

Sir C
10-12-2016, 01:39 PM
:nod: got cheapo IP cameras for when we go away.

More to keep an eye on the neighbour, I think, who comes in to feeds the cats.

make sure there is no ****ing into the Mrs' knicker drawer, etc

I'd like such cameras to check the kitties when I'm out, i. Can they work both ways? I'd like for those pooders to be able to see and hear me, too.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 01:59 PM
I'd like such cameras to check the kitties when I'm out, i. Can they work both ways? I'd like for those pooders to be able to see and hear me, too.

Then you forget about them and the other half goes away for some reason only to spy on your activities.

Ash
10-12-2016, 02:20 PM
It's all cobblers. They tried to make me have something on my phone to control the central heating. Apparently I'm supposed to let the house get cold when I'm not in it, only heating it up when I'm due home.

Sick. Fúcks.

But what about all the dead baby polar bears? :-(

Sir C
10-12-2016, 02:24 PM
But what about all the dead baby polar bears? :-(

What about my poor shivering kitties?

Ash
10-12-2016, 02:30 PM
What about my poor shivering kitties?

They are, I believe, equipped with a natural heating system, in the shape of a built-in fur coat. If that's not enough perhaps they could go for a little run or something.

Sir C
10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
They are, I believe, equipped with a natural heating system, in the shape of a built-in fur coat. If that's not enough perhaps they could go for a little run or something.

They are ethnically Burmese, a. They come from the jungles of south-east Asia, and need a constant minimum temperature of 26 degrees, or they become sluggish and find it difficult to concentrate.

IUFG
10-12-2016, 02:36 PM
You can enable voice on my cheapo wons, so you could shout at them, sc.

I'd imagine you could have two way video if you paid a lot more more a different type of device...

Burney
10-12-2016, 02:37 PM
They are ethnically Burmese, a. They come from the jungles of south-east Asia, and need a constant minimum temperature of 26 degrees, or they become sluggish and find it difficult to concentrate.

You're ethnically Dutch/Irish - what's your excuse for needing a constant temperature of 26 degrees? Touch of the tarbrush, is it?

Sir C
10-12-2016, 02:41 PM
You're ethnically Dutch/Irish - what's your excuse for needing a constant temperature of 26 degrees? Touch of the tarbrush, is it?

The Dutch are a civilised race who keep their houses at such temperatures.

I may be technically Irish, but I have no Irish ethnicity; I had it removed by an exorcism. :cleansed:

Ash
10-12-2016, 02:42 PM

:hehe: Right. They have to concentrate hard on all those naps to prepare themselves for the main snooze.

Sir C
10-12-2016, 02:43 PM
You can enable voice on my cheapo wons, so you could shout at them, sc.

I'd imagine you could have two way video if you paid a lot more more a different type of device...

It can't be anything too complicated to operate, i. Their paws aren't very good with keyboards, to be frank.

Ash
10-12-2016, 02:43 PM

I may be technically Irish, but I have no Irish ethnicity; I had it removed by an exorcism. :cleansed:

Only to have it reinstated by a passport.

Sir C
10-12-2016, 02:46 PM
:hehe: Right. They have to concentrate hard on all those naps to prepare themselves for the main snooze.

They are very keen on nature programmes and football on the telly.

World's End Stella
10-12-2016, 02:52 PM

You keep your house at 26C, Charles?

Jaysus lord, have you seen a doctor about this ailment?

Sir C
10-12-2016, 02:56 PM
You keep your house at 26C, Charles?

Jaysus lord, have you seen a doctor about this ailment?

:nod: Any higher than that and the glw sweats uncontrollably.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 02:57 PM
:nod: Any higher than that and the glw sweats uncontrollably.

good temperature. any higher I find my guitars have tuning issues.

I am close to ****ing my kramer out the window.

Ash
10-12-2016, 03:01 PM

I've never known you to swear so much, Pat.

Sir C
10-12-2016, 03:02 PM

What's wrong with it?

I want a black Takamine.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 03:03 PM
I've never known you to swear so much, Pat.

Tough times.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 03:05 PM
What's wrong with it?

I want a black Nackamichi.

It's a world made guitar. But floyd rose trems are extremely frustrating. I have got that all down to a science. but the the pickup is mounted directly on to the body of the guitar and it's too far from the strings making it quiet. You can't adjust the height. I can't lower the action either as it's low already.

Plus the volume knob is knackered and now I need to get it changed. :-(

I like the guitar but it's too much hassle I might have to sell it and buy something else. I don't even use the trem.

Sir C
10-12-2016, 03:06 PM
It's a world made guitar. But floyd rose trems are extremely frustrating. I have got that all down to a science. but the the pickup is mounted directly on to the body of the guitar and it's too far from the strings making it quiet. You can't adjust the height. I can't lower the action either as it's low already.

Plus the volume knob is knackered and now I need to get it changed. :-(

I like the guitar but it's too much hassle I might have to sell it and buy something else. I don't even use the trem.

Fúck it out the window.

Has your boss told you anything yet?

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Fúck it out the window.

Has your boss told you anything yet?

I had a chat with the boss here on friday and he said he's still trying to find me something else. but i have to wait so I am in limbo

2 weeks since they told me about this quite frustrating. on the other hand my guitar playing has improved in those 2 weeks must be necessity.

Plus maybe it's time to stop working with Americans. I've done so much 'reaching out' my arms hurt.
stupidly I am now as busy as I have ever been in the role :shrug:

dismalswamp
10-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Open it up and do the soldering yourself. It's the only way you'll learn and it's cool to upgrade components on a guitar that way. Low pickups can sound pretty good too, depends on your amp, can get some sweet tones. I've always been in the Gibson team, whammy bars are too showy lol.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Open it up and do the soldering yourself. It's the only way you'll learn and it's cool to upgrade components on a guitar that way. Low pickups can sound pretty good too, depends on your amp, can get some sweet tones. I've always been in the Gibson team, whammy bars are too showy lol.

I had a look at the wiring last night everything seems in order. It's a coil split pot. it works fine in the split position but not in the normal one :-( I think I need a new pot.

on my Les Paul Studio it's got the new solderless system they use nice and easy.

I might sell it and buy a new telecaster, I also need a strat in my collection.

dismalswamp
10-12-2016, 03:15 PM
I've got the wifi heating thing...not to warm the house up when i'm not in it, as that seems a bit wasteful but i like how the display is visible in the dark and you can turn it on off from your phone when you're in bed and you've left the rads on.
also can turn the heating off when you are out and the gf is taking the ****ing piss! I mean who needs to go higher than 68F FFS!!

Sir C
10-12-2016, 03:19 PM
I've got the wifi heating thing...not to warm the house up when i'm not in it, as that seems a bit wasteful but i like how the display is visible in the dark and you can turn it on off from your phone when you're in bed and you've left the rads on.
also can turn the heating off when you are out and the gf is taking the ****ing piss! I mean who needs to go higher than 68F FFS!!

Erm, that's 20 degrees, old boy. That's inhuman.

I am going to track you down by means of your ISP and send the police to release your girlfriend :-(

dismalswamp
10-12-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm interested in how you are pro the solderless system. Not sure how long you've been playing but i'll bet it won't be too long before you rip all that out and put an old fashioned traditional loom in and turn your nose up at this new fangled stuff! Honestly you will :)
Coil taps are a bit more messy cos of the extra wiring. CTS pots everytime, do it once and do it well.
I'm with you on the tele, gonna build one from genuine bits, butterscotch, maple neck, seymour duncan alnico pro pups. Lovely!
I used to have a Billy Corgan strat but i stupidly let it go. It was one of the hardtail ones, no trem with the DiMarzio's in. I got into that thing when you had too many guitars...and cut them right down. Just got a Custom Shop Les Paul now and it's lovely.

dismalswamp
10-12-2016, 03:21 PM
She could put a jumper on. I'm not made of money!!!

Sir C
10-12-2016, 03:23 PM
She could put a jumper on. I'm not made of money!!!

Keeping your house at a reasonable temperature, let's say 25 degrees, will cost you an additional £18.45 per years. Surely that's a small price to pay for your good lady's sanity?

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm interested in how you are pro the solderless system. Not sure how long you've been playing but i'll bet it won't be too long before you rip all that out and put an old fashioned traditional loom in and turn your nose up at this new fangled stuff! Honestly you will :)
Coil taps are a bit more messy cos of the extra wiring. CTS pots everytime, do it once and do it well.
I'm with you on the tele, gonna build one from genuine bits, butterscotch, maple neck, seymour duncan alnico pro pups. Lovely!
I used to have a Billy Corgan strat but i stupidly let it go. It was one of the hardtail ones, no trem with the DiMarzio's in. I got into that thing when you had too many guitars...and cut them right down. Just got a Custom Shop Les Paul now and it's lovely.

would love to have a custom shop les paul one day.

for the new solderless system I haven't had any problems or reason to change anything on my Les Paul yet. I am sure I will go backwards. I had an eye on the Les Paul junior from the 2015 range but never did it because of the self tuning thing. (though handy on a les paul)

I would love to build one too but I don't have enough confidence with it so I might have to buy one of those Baja Telecasters :-) I am crap at setting up guitars especially with the neck I can never tell if it's right or not.

it's funny when it comes to guitars it's one of the few interests where people don't like futuristic changes and older is better.

dismalswamp
10-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Well I haven't had any problems or reason to change anything on my Les Paul yet. I am sure I will go backwards. I had an eye on the Les Paul junior from the 2015 range but never did it because of the self tuning thing. (though handy on a les paul)

I would love to build one too but I don't have enough confidence with it so I might have to buy one of those Baja Telecasters :-) I am crap at setting up guitars especially with the neck I can never tell if it's right or not.

it's funny when it comes to guitars it's one of the few interests where people don't like futuristic changes and older is better.

You're completely right of course. Innovation is a dirty word when it comes to guitars. Everything should be done like it was in the 1950s!
Gibson put a volute on the Les Paul to stop the headstock snapping off when it fell over and they replaced the screw in bridge posts that would rip out with some proper anchored posts and those models are somehow seen as inferior. Don't be worried about the neck thing. You just bolt it together and try and get it kind of straight with the truss and take it from there. Small price to pay for a setup if you need to.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 03:43 PM
You're completely right of course. Innovation is a dirty word when it comes to guitars. Everything should be done like it was in the 1950s!
Gibson put a volute on the Les Paul to stop the headstock snapping off when it fell over and they replaced the screw in bridge posts that would rip out with some proper anchored posts and those models are somehow seen as inferior. Don't be worried about the neck thing. You just bolt it together and try and get it kind of straight with the truss and take it from there. Small price to pay for a setup if you need to.

I was slowly saving up for a big purchase. That's on hold at the moment. I really want to find a good deal on a 1950's -1960 les paul junior. I don't know why i want one but I love them. And for vintage guitars they are affordable compared to some.

I would also like a vintage acoustic guitar. But i am terrible acoustically.

dismalswamp
10-12-2016, 03:50 PM
One of those TV yellow ones? A few years ago i sold a drip edge bassman head on ebay and the guy who won it had 50's yellow junior that he brought to test it with. Very nice indeed. Acoustics....so expensive for nice ones, a Takamine is a good way in though. I don't do much acoustically, have an old Starburst which plays ok.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 03:57 PM
One of those TV yellow ones? A few years ago i sold a drip edge bassman head on ebay and the guy who won it had 50's yellow junior that he brought to test it with. Very nice indeed. Acoustics....so expensive for nice ones, a Takamine is a good way in though. I don't do much acoustically, have an old Starburst which plays ok.

Yep TV yellow would be my preference. I like the doublecut models but depends on what I find at the time. I like the red versions too.

I really wish I had somewhere I could play loud through a nice amp. at home I am just using a old Orange 15 watt amp I bought years ago and have a small Blackstar fly 3 which sounds really good considering it runs on batteries. I did have a Vox VT40 but didn't like it.

Ash
10-12-2016, 04:06 PM
I really wish I had somewhere I could play loud through a nice amp.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/search?cflt=recording_studios&find_loc=Wood+Green%2C+London

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 04:09 PM
https://www.yelp.co.uk/search?cflt=recording_studios&find_loc=Wood+Green%2C+London

:thumbup: I am trying to convince my mate to join me. feel a bit odd just rolling up

There is a place near Holloway road station in one of the railway arches.

Sir C
10-12-2016, 04:11 PM
:thumbup: I am trying to convince my mate to join me. feel a bit odd just rolling up

When's our first rehearsal, anyway? :goodol'boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdR6MN2jKYs

Ash
10-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Is there still a studio there? I used to rehearse in there in about 1993! Also failed an audition for a band in there, which was lucky because the singer was transparently a complete cùnt. Almost all singers are, of course, but some more obviously so than others.

What does your mate play?

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Is there still a studio there? I used to rehearse in there in about 1993! Also failed an audition for a band in there, which was lucky because the singer was transparently a complete cùnt. Almost all singers are, of course, but some more obviously so than others.

What does your mate play?

To be honest he's not so good and he likes hair metal currently :hehe: rather learning chords he went to learning tapping.

I am not any good either but I think I could adapt to a band setting. I will soon find out how bad my timing is. then again I say I want to play loud but when I play loud I usually get shy and make mistakes.

Ash
10-12-2016, 04:36 PM
To be honest he's not so good and he likes hair metal currently :hehe: rather learning chords he went to learning tapping.

I am not any good either but I think I could adapt to a band setting. I will soon find out how bad my timing is. then again I say I want to play loud but when I play loud I usually get shy and make mistakes.

Drum machine? Surely your whizzy Mac has a built-in drummer.

Ash
10-12-2016, 04:39 PM

And lead guitarists who don't learn chords are worse than Hitler. If you don't want to play chords then fair enough - do the decent thing: become a bass player and live in the shadows.

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Drum machine? Surely your whizzy Mac has a built-in drummer.

:hehe: yep you can do that.

I tend to just play with backing tracks from youtube. However lately I prefer to play with the amp than the computer.
A lot of the new amps have the ability to play your phone through them. The new marshall one is blue tooth :yikes: back to technology.

PSRB
10-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Keeping your house at a reasonable temperature, let's say 25 degrees, will cost you an additional £18.45 per years. Surely that's a small price to pay for your good lady's sanity?

You understand power companies charges?!? wd, sc

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 04:57 PM
You understand power companies charges?!? wd, sc

It's all *******s. I just switched to N-power as it's £18 cheaper.

That's money I can put towards my car insurance :furious:

PSRB
10-12-2016, 04:58 PM
It's all *******s. I just switched to N-power as it's £18 cheaper.

That's money I can put towards my car insurance :furious:

It won't be :thumbup: 1st time they read your meter it'll end up more expensive than before. Npower are ****s

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 05:00 PM
It won't be :thumbup: 1st time they read your meter it'll end up more expensive than before. Npower are ****s

I got some fixed gimmick but let's see.

eastgermanautos
10-12-2016, 05:03 PM

A wi-fi kettle, ffs

What's the matter with the mood? I thought it was light as fvck. :-)

Pat Vegas
10-12-2016, 05:37 PM
What's the matter with the mood? I thought it was light as fvck. :-)

There has been 2 threads all day. and hollywood is sacking me off.

eastgermanautos
10-12-2016, 05:47 PM
There has been 2 threads all day. and hollywood is sacking me off.

The good news, Pat, is that eastgermanautos is hiring. The new fleet of models, the 2017s, appearing in showrooms this week. :-D