PDA

View Full Version : Yet again, I have been accused of being phenomenally middle class

World's End Stella
10-06-2016, 01:57 PM
how does a chap tell?

What I do? What I earn? What my parents did? Where I went to school?

21 years after moving to this country and still fail to understand what is left of the class system, I'm afraid.

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 01:59 PM
how does a chap tell?

21 years after moving to this country and still fail to understand what is left of the class system, I'm afraid.

Let's ignore it brother. I am commoner according to this place.

World's End Stella
10-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Let's ignore it brother. I am commoner according to this place.

It's much easier back home, Pat.

It's all about the $$$

Sir C
10-06-2016, 02:01 PM
how does a chap tell?

You have no place in the British class system, being foreign. You might be considered an honorary nouveau-riche arriviste at best, but in general grubby foreigners rank somewhere below dole-scroungers in the British hierarchy.

And quite rightly so, if I may make so bold as to venture an opinion. My right to do so being arguable, given that I am quite foreign myself.

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 02:02 PM
It's much easier back home, Pat.

It's all about the $$$

My cousin and her soon to be husband were in London this week for the first time.
They seemed to love the fact we could drink outside the pub.

Also it seems everyone in my family in Canada either works as an accountant or be a carpenter.

World's End Stella
10-06-2016, 02:04 PM
You might be considered an honorary nouveau-riche arriviste

Ooh I quite like that. Sounds rather more sophisticated than moose shagger or beaver botherer.

I'll take it. Cheers.

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Ooh I quite like that. Sounds rather more sophisticated than moose shagger or beaver botherer.

I'll take it. Cheers.

Should I apply for a British Passport with all this Brexit stuff?

Ash
10-06-2016, 02:06 PM
how does a chap tell?

It really is terribly complicated. Basically there are several class templates that all overlay each other, allowing one to exist in various classes simultaneously.

For example, a good friend of mine enjoys at times the profile of a terribly proud, gritty, working class northener (especially when drunk) but is equally happy to play the middle-class southerner when proving his urbane, cosmopolitan pro-EU credentials when he needs to impress his peers.

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 02:11 PM
It really is terribly complicated. Basically there are several class templates that all overlay each other, allowing one to exist in various classes simultaneously.

For example, a good friend of mine enjoys at times the profile of a terribly proud, gritty, working class northener (especially when drunk) but is equally happy to play the middle-class southerner when proving his urbane, cosmopolitan pro-EU credentials when he needs to impress his peers.

Ah Ash I was listening to some interesting history of unions in America, radio programme
I find it fascinating the anti communism sentiment over there yet a large majority are pro unions. They go hand in hand.

Burney
10-06-2016, 02:13 PM
You have no place in the British class system, being foreign. You might be considered an honorary nouveau-riche arriviste at best, but in general grubby foreigners rank somewhere below dole-scroungers in the British hierarchy.

And quite rightly so, if I may make so bold as to venture an opinion. My right to do so being arguable, given that I am quite foreign myself.

Yes. You have a foreign name of course, that, while it adds a certain mystique, also makes it quite clear you're a clogwog. If it weren't for that - and some odd culinary habits - you could pass.

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Yes. You have a foreign name of course, that, while it adds a certain mystique, also makes it quite clear you're a bogwog. If it weren't for that - and some odd culinary habits - you could pass.

Everywon just assumes I am jock.

If I have a kid I will give him an Italian first name.

Though my wife doesn't like the idea.

Burney
10-06-2016, 02:21 PM

'Giuseppe McTavish', eh?

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 02:24 PM
'Giuseppe McTavish', eh?

:nod: I better pick one I can pronounce properly.

How come the name Enzo is common in the boxing world.

Ash
10-06-2016, 02:26 PM
'Giuseppe McTavish', eh?

For some reason there have been a number of Scotch raciing drivers of Italian extraction. eg: Dario Franchitti

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 02:26 PM

One of my sons is named "Carmine".

lol. Yeah, right. We just call him "Minnie".

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 02:27 PM

It's a shortening of "Vincent", innit. Anyway "Vincenzo".

Ash
10-06-2016, 02:28 PM

There's only one Enzo, Pat. Enzo Ferrari

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Enzo_Ferrari_-_Wheel_of_a_racing_car.jpg

as you can see - Mesut Ozil in a previous life.

redgunamo
For some reason there have been a number of Scotch raciing drivers of Italian extraction. eg: Dario Franchitti

That whiny young singer too, did "Iron Sky".

Pat Vegas
One of my sons is named "Carmine".

lol. Yeah, right. We just call him "Minnie".

That's the sort of name you find on American mafia type shows. Carmine is usually an associate.

Sir C
10-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Yes. You have a foreign name of course, that, while it adds a certain mystique, also makes it quite clear you're a clogwog. If it weren't for that - and some odd culinary habits - you could pass.

Very kind of you to say so, b.

Burney
10-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Lot of Italian immigrants to Italy. Not least because it was where we had a lot of our POW camps in WWII and since half the Italian army surrendered to us in the desert, that meant a fair few stayed.

Burney
10-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Very kind of you to say so, b.

I meant it as a compliment, of course.

Ash
Ah Ash I was listening to some interesting history of unions in America, radio programme
I find it fascinating the anti communism sentiment over there yet a large majority are pro unions. They go hand in hand.

One can appreciate collective bargaining in the workplace without favouring the collectivisation of the whole economy.

Pat Vegas

So how about this fella.
https://bergkampesque.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/download-2.jpg?w=640

Burney
10-06-2016, 02:32 PM
That's the sort of name you find on American mafia type shows. Carmine is usually an associate.

Yes, but they pronounce it 'Car-Mine' whereas I understand it's supposed to be pronounced 'Car-min-eh', which is a bit girly.

Sir C
I meant it as a compliment, of course.

And so I took it, naturally.

Pat Vegas
One can appreciate collective bargaining in the workplace without favouring the collectivisation of the whole economy.

I will see if I can find it it was quite interesting. More in depth than how I described it of course. Talking about violent acts from unions and such.

redgunamo
There's only one Enzo, Pat. Enzo Ferrari

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Enzo_Ferrari_-_Wheel_of_a_racing_car.jpg

as you can see - Mesut Ozil in a previous life.

He's the subject of Michael Mann's next movie apparently. Was to be played by Cristiano Bale but he was forced to pull out of the project due to his Carling Cup, or whatever the Spanish call it, commitments with Real Madrid.

Shame..

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Yes, but they pronounce it 'Car-Mine' whereas I understand it's supposed to be pronounced 'Car-min-eh', which is a bit girly.

good point. it's easily said like ooooooooh Carmine.

Ash
10-06-2016, 02:34 PM
So how about this fella.
https://bergkampesque.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/download-2.jpg?w=640

Oh, he wrote the Pink Panther theme.

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 02:35 PM

It's against family tradition and protocol but my mother named him for her best friend, Carmen.

Burney
10-06-2016, 02:38 PM
It's against family tradition and protocol but my mother named him for her best friend, Carmen.

Why was your mother naming your children, r? That's not how it work, surely?

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Very girly indeed.

TheCurly
10-06-2016, 02:39 PM

The Wire: Season 2: Essential viewing to see what Yanqui unions are all about imo

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Why was your mother naming your children, r? That's not how it work, surely?

Grandparents name the grandchildren, according to sex. So, for instance, my dad named my boys, my mother-in-law named the girls. Of course, you can twist the odd arm here or there or offer up a suggestion or two but that's the rule as it's written and understood.

Burney
10-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Grandparents name the grandchildren, according to sex. So, for instance, my dad named my boys, my mother-in-law named the girls. Of course, you can twist the odd arm here or there or offer up a suggestion or two but that's the rule as it's written and understood.

Rum business. Wouldn't do in my family.

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Rum business. Wouldn't do in my family.

Nobody cares what children are called really. Everyone knows hounds are far more important; I wouldn't let them name *mine*.

Boxing24
12-13-2016, 09:27 AM

yeah right