PDA

View Full Version : A friend of mine was nicked for DUI last night :-(

Sir C
10-06-2016, 08:18 AM
I didn't know they even bothered breathalysing people any more. Surely that's all a bit 1970s?

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 08:29 AM
I didn't know they even bothered breathalysing people any more. Surely that's all a bit 1970s?

And they never used to bother with it much back then either, so I gather.

Sir C
10-06-2016, 08:54 AM
And they never used to bother with it much back then either, so I gather.

He'd only had four pints :shrug:

You don't think they'll bother taking it further for such a minimal amount of booze, do you?

redgunamo
10-06-2016, 09:00 AM

You don't think they'll bother taking it further for such a minimal amount of booze, do you?

Ah. Very embarrassing indeed. Everyone will believe they are dealing with an incorrigible sot regardless :-(

World's End Stella
10-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Out of interest, do you know how much over he was? I was under the impression that, contrary to what the authorities tell you, 4 pints would still be under the limit unless you necked them or you're just a wee little man.

Sir C
10-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Out of interest, do you know how much over he was? I was under the impression that, contrary to what the authorities tell you, 4 pints would still be under the limit unless you necked them or you're just a wee little man.

A breathalyser reading of 52, apparently. The limit is 39, I think he said.

He's a big lad and a properly trained imbiber. Knowing him as I do, I'm guessing the lager in question would have been of the super strength variety.

Burney
10-06-2016, 09:23 AM

:-( Anyone I know?

Sir C
10-06-2016, 09:25 AM
:-( Anyone I know?

Certainly. I shall allow you a single guess :-(

World's End Stella
10-06-2016, 09:26 AM
A breathalyser reading of 52, apparently. The limit is 39, I think he said.

He's a big lad and a properly trained imbiber. Knowing him as I do, I'm guessing the lager in question would have been of the super strength variety.

So just over, the 4th pint was probably the tipping point although it isn't necessarily linear. And I expect he drank them quickly based on your description.

Makes my decision to not drive home after 8 pints of Estrella and a martini last Friday afternoon seem sensible.

Sir C
10-06-2016, 09:29 AM
So just over, the 4th pint was probably the tipping point although it isn't necessarily linear. And I expect he drank them quickly based on your description.

Makes my decision to not drive home after 8 pints of Estrella and a martini last Friday afternoon seem sensible.

It is patently absurd that gentlemen of property are subject to these petty regulations.

Burney
10-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Certainly. I shall allow you a single guess :-(

Ah. Thought it might be. :-(

Sir C
10-06-2016, 09:33 AM
Ah. Thought it might be. :-(

The dear fellow is dreadfully distressed. I think it was the humiliation of it all, more than anything.

It cannot be beyond the wit of man, i this day and age, to purchase a fresh driving licence? From the internet, perhaps?

Burney
10-06-2016, 09:37 AM
The dear fellow is dreadfully distressed. I think it was the humiliation of it all, more than anything.

It cannot be beyond the wit of man, i this day and age, to purchase a fresh driving licence? From the internet, perhaps?

Yes. To be treated as if one were a criminal for such a thing is quite, quite wrong. I can only imagine his upset. :-(

Is he going to have to get someone to drive him around? :-(

Sir C
10-06-2016, 09:45 AM
Yes. To be treated as if one were a criminal for such a thing is quite, quite wrong. I can only imagine his upset. :-(

Is he going to have to get someone to drive him around? :-(

He hasn't made a plan yet.

In the 70s, of course, one could buy an insurance policy which, in the event of a drink-driving ban, paid out in the form of a chauffeur :hehe:

Burney
10-06-2016, 09:47 AM
He hasn't made a plan yet.

In the 70s, of course, one could buy an insurance policy which, in the event of a drink-driving ban, paid out in the form of a chauffeur :hehe:

They were more civilised times in so many ways. Now he'll have to hire a Romanian or something.

Pat Vegas
10-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Sounds very American.

Viva Prat Vegas
10-06-2016, 10:50 AM
I will support the distressed friend when he goes before the judge
What *******s shall I say in his support?

Sir C
10-06-2016, 10:51 AM
I will support the distressed friend when he goes before the judge
What *******s shall I say in his support?

There's nothing that will do any good, according to the legal professionals he has asked. It's a ban, and that's an end to it. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
10-06-2016, 10:55 AM
:-(
My upper lip is stiff on his behalf
My bottom lip is wobbly

TheCurly
10-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Young lad I work with was having a few cans in the house last week.Run out of tabs,nipped out in the car to the all night petrol station and when he got home 5-0 were waiting for him.Wee fúcker at the garage knew him/doesn't like him, smelled (is smelt a word?) the drink off him and phoned the cops

Sir C
10-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Young lad I work with was having a few cans in the house last week.Run out of tabs,nipped out in the car to the all night petrol station and when he got home 5-0 were waiting for him.Wee fúcker at the garage knew him/doesn't like him, smelled (is smelt a word?) the drink off him and phoned the cops

Blimey, I thought grassing was frowned upon in your neck of the woods, c.

TheCurly
10-06-2016, 11:01 AM

Oh yeah...it won't end there

Viva Prat Vegas
10-06-2016, 11:01 AM

The garage attendant now limps into work

Ash
10-06-2016, 01:58 PM

World's End Estrella?

From now on, you shall be known as WEE.

TheCurly
10-06-2016, 02:34 PM
World's End Estrella?

From now on, you shall be known as WEE.

Good spot A :thumbup: