PDA

View Full Version : I like the way lefties revere the 'Battle' of Cable St (which was, let's face it, a

Burney
10-04-2016, 11:59 AM
violent attack on a legal march) and then in the next breath bang on about the importance of freedom of assembly and right to protest whilst apparently seeing no inherent contradiction. Funny lot.

Ash
10-04-2016, 01:18 PM
violent attack on a legal march) and then in the next breath bang on about the importance of freedom of assembly and right to protest whilst apparently seeing no inherent contradiction. Funny lot.

You've bought into your own spin on the popular myth there, I'm afraid. The old bill actually turned the BUF away and dispursed them themselves before they got to the barricades in Cable Street, and then piled into the anti-fascists themselves. The battle was between the barricaders and the police.

My source is John Marriot's excellent book - Beyond the Tower. By far the best history of East london I've seen.

Sir C
10-04-2016, 01:23 PM
You've bought into your own spin on the popular myth there, I'm afraid. The old bill actually turned the BUF away and dispursed them themselves before they got to the barricades in Cable Street, and then piled into the anti-fascists themselves. The battle was between the barricaders and the police.

My source is John Marriot's excellent book - Beyond the Tower. By far the best history of East london I've seen.

My mother-in-law was invited to tea with Oswald Mosely. She told me he was an 'appalling, vulgar little man', and she didn't enjoy the visit at all, so he was clearly something of a wrong 'un.

Burney
10-04-2016, 01:27 PM

Not quite. The police tried to clear the way for the march, but were attacked by demonstrators. After running battles, Mosley then agreed to call off the march to try and prevent more violence and dispersed towards Hyde Park. The police then quite rightly piled into the commie scum.

Burney
10-04-2016, 01:27 PM
My mother-in-law was invited to tea with Oswald Mosely. She told me he was an 'appalling, vulgar little man', and she didn't enjoy the visit at all, so he was clearly something of a wrong 'un.

Oh certainly. He got an awful lot of pussy, though, apparently.

TheCurly
10-04-2016, 01:29 PM

His parents deserved a kicking at the very least.Oswald Ernald
Sort of fúcking name is thon?

Sir C
10-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Oh certainly. He got an awful lot of pussy, though, apparently.

One cannot think of him, of course, without remembering Bertie to Roderick Spode:

"The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swánking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?""

Burney
10-04-2016, 01:33 PM
One cannot think of him, of course, without remembering Bertie to Roderick Spode:

"The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swánking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?""

:hehe: I've always thought It's the use of the term 'footer bags' that makes that so very perfect.

Ash
10-04-2016, 01:41 PM
His parents deserved a kicking at the very least.Oswald Ernald
Sort of fúcking name is thon?

I'm sure we all remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCZvYu0QBA

Ash
10-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Not quite. The police tried to clear the way for the march, but were attacked by demonstrators. After running battles, Mosley then agreed to call off the march to try and prevent more violence and dispersed towards Hyde Park. The police then quite rightly piled into the commie scum.

You forgot to quote your source. It's odd though, that you choose to describe geniune working-class and Jewish resistance to actual pro-Nazi filth as 'scum'. Almost as if you were on a massive wind-up.

Burney
10-04-2016, 02:05 PM
You forgot to quote your source. It's odd though, that you choose to describe geniune working-class and Jewish resistance to actual pro-Nazi filth as 'scum'. Almost as if you were on a massive wind-up.

Well various, but one was a biography of Mosley by historian Nigel Jones, which I strongly recommend.

The 'commie scum' line was flippant, I'll grant you, but there was certainly no shortage of communists and other leftists involved. And, rather than your mythic 'genuine working class' and Jewish resistance it's a fact that most of the demonstrators on both sides travelled into the area. Nothing spontaneous about it, I'm afraid.

I'm absolutely serious that I find this absurd reverence for and myth-making about an act of political violence against freedom of speech baffling.

Also, of course, it was ultimately self-defeating for the left, since it led directly to the Public Order Act, which made it illegal to demonstrate without permission from the police - a law that has largely been used against left wing demonstrators and strikers ever since.