PDA

View Full Version : For those that like this sort of detail, the latest Swiss Ramble blog on AFC finances

PSRB
10-04-2016, 09:41 AM
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/arsenal-new-sensation.html

redgunamo
10-04-2016, 10:15 AM
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/arsenal-new-sensation.html

Yeah, I saw that. Basically we still haven't caught up with Manchester United :-(

World's End Stella
10-04-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm glad he mentioned that absurd analysis that said we had only 4mil to spend unless we leveraged our overdraft. I started to read that and then gave up more from pity than anything else. It was laughably stupid.

Sometimes this chap rambles too much and struggles to summarise but that article is quite good and, for him, remarkably concise.

The bottom line is that we have spent far less than we could have over the past 3-4 summers. Hopefully this summer will turn out to be more representative of where the club is going.

AFC East
10-04-2016, 12:30 PM
The bottom line is that we have spent far less than we could have over the past 3-4 summers. Hopefully this summer will turn out to be more representative of where the club is going.

That depends on the parameters the owner (or less likely the CEO) has put on the operation of the business. If he has decided he wants to keep say £100m in the business for some reason (e.g. to ensure we can invest rapidly should we fall behind the Champions League qualifications pack or to ensure significant investment for Wenger's successor), then we may have spent totally up the limit of what the executives want spent.

There is absolutely no way of knowing unless you are Gazidis.

Monty92
10-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Basically we still haven't caught up with Manchester United :-(

Yes, what is the point in being ahead of them in the table if they've still got a bigger war chest? :-(

World's End Stella
10-04-2016, 12:59 PM
That depends on the parameters the owner (or less likely the CEO) has put on the operation of the business. If he has decided he wants to keep say £100m in the business for some reason (e.g. to ensure we can invest rapidly should we fall behind the Champions League qualifications pack or to ensure significant investment for Wenger's successor), then we may have spent totally up the limit of what the executives want spent.

There is absolutely no way of knowing unless you are Gazidis.

Yes, that's true - which is why those people that say we haven't spent money because of the stadium are talking nonsense. Because the financial statements say that isn't true and if there was an agreement between Stan and Ivan that resulted in then we would never know about it.

However, if Kroenke has demanded that a certain cash balance been retained for some unknown reason, the number of lies that Ivan and Wenger have uttered publicly would be pretty astonishing.

AFC East
10-04-2016, 01:05 PM
However, if Kroenke has demanded that a certain cash balance been retained for some unknown reason, the number of lies that Ivan and Wenger have uttered publicly would be pretty astonishing.

I must admit I follow the football rather than the finance, so I can't recall what he's said. We're now spending more money than at any time since we left Highbury and are in the top few net spenders. That is kind of generally what we expected from the move wasn't it?

Gazidis is a lawyer, so no doubt he'd be able to justify any apparent inconsistencies with some sleight of hand.

World's End Stella
10-04-2016, 01:07 PM
I must admit I follow the football rather than the finance, so I can't recall what he's said. We're now spending more money than at any time since we left Highbury and are in the top few net spenders. That is kind of generally what we expected from the move wasn't it?

Gazidis is a lawyer, so no doubt he'd be able to justify any apparent inconsistencies with some sleight of hand.

That wasn't true last summer. It was true this summer.

As I said, let's hope that leveraging the financial power of the club in order to address the issues with the team is at least part of the strategy going forward.

redgunamo
10-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Right. Like Kos did at Burnley.

Ash
10-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Right. Like Kos did at Burnley.

:hehe: If that cloven-hoofed eejit The Ox* hadn't kicked Kosh's foot at the moment he was about to tap it home we'd have had none of this embarrassing nonsense and wouldn't have to put up with every set of opposing fans getting into the ref by singing "same old Arsenal ..." for the rest of the campaign. :-(

* I like the lad and hope it gets better for him

redgunamo
10-04-2016, 02:31 PM
:hehe: If that cloven-hoofed eejit The Ox* hadn't kicked Kosh's foot at the moment he was about to tap it home we'd have had none of this embarrassing nonsense and wouldn't have to put up with every set of opposing fans getting into the ref by singing "same old Arsenal ..." for the rest of the campaign. :-(

* I like the lad and hope it gets better for him

True. You never know though, we (you) may be singing it ourselves, in triumph, by the end of the campaign.

TheCurly
10-04-2016, 02:37 PM
True. You never know though, we (you) may be singing it ourselves, in triumph, by the end of the campaign.

They sing it anyway.You shag one sheep,r
I did like the Hull one though."One nil to the referee" after we missed a penalty and had already scored before their man went off.
:homer: