PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best Arsenal CB pairing not to contain at least 1 George Graham trained

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
10-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Centre-half?

The two double winning sides were all GG's. The invincibles had Sol and Keown. Even the 2006 CL final team had Sol (though Senderos got us there alongside Kolo.)

So is Kostafi the best not to have any Georgie Graham input?

Ash
10-04-2016, 01:00 AM
The invincibles had Sol and Keown.

You've mis-spelled Kolo there, old chap.

Ash
10-04-2016, 01:01 AM
Apart from the stuff about a partnership being judged in more than about four games. But the signs so far are good.

redgunamo
10-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Centre-half?

The two double winning sides were all GG's. The invincibles had Sol and Keown. Even the 2006 CL final team had Sol (though Senderos got us there alongside Kolo.)

No, they've done **** all. The Mertesacker vintage won two FA Cups and finished fourth, third and then second.

redgunamo
10-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Apart from the stuff about a partnership being judged in more than about four games. But the signs so far are good.

In fairness to them, had we lost the four games, the verdict would almost certainly be in by now :judge:

Brentwood
10-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Centre-half?

Hmmm, I admire your optimism, but it might be a *bit* too early to say, don't you think? :hehe:

Mc Gooner
10-04-2016, 08:22 AM
In fairness to them, had we lost the four games, the verdict would almost certainly be in by now :judge:

GPVWMIMO

+ one character ffs

SWv2
10-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Centre-half?

Yes, undoubtedly.

Four games, maybe 5, 6 even.

Jesus ****ing christ.

redgunamo
10-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Yes, undoubtedly.

Four games, maybe 5, 6 even.

Jesus ****ing christ.

It's the twitter generation, you see. No patience, no self-restraint.

10-04-2016, 01:31 PM
You've mis-spelled Kolo there, old chap.

We had 3 CHs that season. It was mostly Sol and Kolo but Keown was the 3rd choice.

He played at Untd, remember? He jumped up and down on Horseface.

Thus, we had 2 GG trained CHs in the Invincibles squad. QED.

Ash
10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
We had 3 CHs that season. It was mostly Sol and Kolo but Keown was the 3rd choice.

Kolo made 36 starts. Keown made 3. Your initial point in the OP was about "best Arsenal CB pairings", not how many GG-era players were in that squard.

Tony C
10-04-2016, 02:20 PM
personally think they've got someway to go to match the unbeatable Cygan-Senderos axis imo

:-|

#KOSTAFI

Luis Anaconda
10-04-2016, 02:29 PM

He played the Friday night against Newcastle after that game and then never started another league for us. That was in September. Hard to argue he was an integral part of the team by then. It is also arguable whether he was a George Graham trained centre-half in comparison to Adams and Bould. GG ****ed him out the window as soon as he arrived and when he bought he back he often played him out of position

10-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Kolo made 36 starts. Keown made 3. Your initial point in the OP was about "best Arsenal CB pairings", not how many GG-era players were in that squard.

Eh? The title of the post was "Is this the best Arsenal CB pairing not to contain at least 1 George Graham trained" with the post continuing "Centre-Half"?

The whole point was that all AW's best defences contained at least one GG trained CH.

Do Kostafi have the potential to be the best since then?

10-04-2016, 10:46 PM
He played the Friday night against Newcastle after that game and then never started another league for us. That was in September. Hard to argue he was an integral part of the team by then. It is also arguable whether he was a George Graham trained centre-half in comparison to Adams and Bould. GG ****ed him out the window as soon as he arrived and when he bought he back he often played him out of position

Oh, come on, LA.

1. I didn't say he was integral. I said "It was mostly Sol and Kolo but Keown was the 3rd choice." So we had at least one GG CH, occasionally two.
2. I never said that Keown was as much GG trained as TA/SB. But he still had a couple of years 93-95 under GG, and worked on the training ground for the rest of his career with other GG CH's. In TA's last year, he now also had Sol.

It was simply a tongue-in-cheek post saying:
Pessimist: AW only ever won the league with at least one GG CH.
Optimist: This two look quite good for their first 5 (or whatever) games.

You could just leave it at that.

Or you could give me a considered opinion on whether these two have the potential to be the best CH pairing we've had since Sol left. (At the very latest.) It is very early days, but as Smudger says, we seem to have added value to the starting XI. And if the AFC centre-backs are good enough for him, they're good enough for me. He trained against GG CHs for years, so he knows a proper centre-back when he sees one.

{Let me dream that they can be like TA and SB/MK/SC. Not Linighan and Pates.}

Ash
10-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Eh? The title of the post was "Is this the best Arsenal CB pairing not to contain at least 1 George Graham trained" with the post continuing "Centre-Half"?

FFS.

the Invincibles defence was bascially Sol and Kolo. Keown played a small part and the 3 games he played that season cannot be construed as one of Arsene's best defensive partnerships because it was ONLY THREE GAMES.

The whole point was that all AW's best defences contained at least one GG trained CH.

and seeing as the Invincibles defence was basically two non-GG trained CHs (Kolo and Sol) your point fails to stand.

10-05-2016, 12:48 PM
FFS.

the Invincibles defence was bascially Sol and Kolo. Keown played a small part and the 3 games he played that season cannot be construed as one of Arsene's best defensive partnerships because it was ONLY THREE GAMES.

and seeing as the Invincibles defence was basically two non-GG trained CHs (Kolo and Sol) your point fails to stand.

But Sol had 2-3 years under GG at sperz. And Ledley King started under GG. So their two best CHs of recent years were both GG trained to some extent. Coincidence? :sherlock:

Though I admit that Sol had actually captained England before GG became manager, so he must have had some talent before GG.

Pat Vegas
10-05-2016, 12:52 PM
But Sol had 2-3 years under GG at sperz. And Ledley King started under GG. So their two best CHs of recent years were both GG trained to some extent. Coincidence? :sherlock:

Though I admit that Sol had actually captained England before GG became manager, so he must have had some talent before GG.

I am going to help out Ganpati here.

Sol Campbell was at Spurs 92 to 2001
George Graham was the manager at Spurs at the end of that time. So clearly that's when Sol learned how to be good.

EDIT **** sake Ganpati beat me to it.

10-05-2016, 01:12 PM
I am going to help out Ganpati here.

Sol Campbell was at Spurs 92 to 2001
George Graham was the manager at Spurs at the end of that time. So clearly that's when Sol learned how to be good.

EDIT **** sake Ganpati beat me to it.

How could you reply with quote and only after realise what was in the quote?

GG hasn't managed anyone since sperz, has he? I'm surprised he couldn't get a job as a defensive coach somewhere.