PDA

View Full Version : anybody watch the Louis Theroux documentary last night about Jimmy Savile?

Pat Vegas
10-03-2016, 09:30 AM
10 characters.

EDIT Sorry see Berni has this covered.

Burney
10-03-2016, 09:31 AM
10 characters.

I LITERALLY just mentioned it in the previous thread. If I were the sort of person who gets bothered by this sort of thing I'd be bothered by this sort of thing.

Like I say, I thought the most interesting thing was that he stayed friends with Savile after the documentary.

Pat Vegas
10-03-2016, 09:35 AM
I LITERALLY just mentioned it in the previous thread. If I were the sort of person who gets bothered by this sort of thing I'd be bothered by this sort of thing.

Like I say, I thought the most interesting thing was that he stayed friends with Savile after the documentary.

I'm sorry Burney.

I didn't open your thread as it mentions ed Balls and this is the sort of topic I have no knowledge of.

How about that Arsenal goal then? oh I've done it again.

Burney
10-03-2016, 09:35 AM
10 characters.

EDIT Sorry see Berni has this covered.

Not at all! What was your take on it, f?

Brentwood
10-03-2016, 09:43 AM
I'm sorry Burney.

I didn't open your thread as it mentions ed Balls and this is the sort of topic I have no knowledge of.

How about that Arsenal goal then? oh I've done it again.

I saw a clip where a woman said that he removed his tracksuit bottoms to reveal his wrinkly pink willy and then he said "How's about that then?"

Pat Vegas
10-03-2016, 09:45 AM
I saw a clip where a woman said that he removed his tracksuit bottoms to reveal his wrinkly pink willy and then he said "How's about that then?"

:hehe: funnily enough I did the same thing to my wife after the show.

She didn't appreciate it.

Burney
10-03-2016, 09:48 AM

Yup. She was only there to deliver his new specs as well. Instead it was her that ended up getting an eyeful. :hehe:

Pat Vegas
10-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Not at all! What was your take on it, f?

It's weird. Savile was a bit of a strange character bit of a joke really but somehow has some kind of presence.
Even knowing what we know about him he is quite a fascinating character.

Maybe the allegations have been embellished. I don't know. It's weird like that woman who was his optician. Had this bad experience yet when he died she felt compelled to contact the radio station to share her story in a positive way. Then on the other hand he sounds like a complete beast who runs towards buildings and jumps through windows to attack.

Burney
10-03-2016, 09:51 AM
It's weird. Savile was a bit of a strange character bit of a joke really but somehow has some kind of presence.
Even knowing what we know about him he is quite a fascinating character.

Maybe the allegations have been embellished. I don't know. It's weird like that woman who was his optician. Had this bad experience yet when he died she felt compelled to contact the radio station to share her story in a positive way. Then on the other hand he sounds like a complete beast who runs towards buildings and jumps through windows to attack.

He was clearly a fùcking appalling man. However, it's worth remembering that a lot of his behaviour that looks and sounds appalling now would have been laughed off in the 70s. I don't mean rape or interfering with paralysed children (those were unacceptable even in the 70s), but a lot of the giveaway behaviours like groping and leering at young girls was simply passed off as the comical behaviour of a 'dirty old man' and nothing more.

Mo Britain less Europe
10-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Theroux is making quite a bit of money from Savile isn't he? Must have mixed feelings for his monster as he has become his interlocutor on earth.

Burney
10-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Theroux is making quite a bit of money from Savile isn't he? Must have mixed feelings for his monster as he has become his interlocutor on earth.

He's doing what he does. :shrug: It's not like he's short of work, so he didn't have to make this follow-up. I get the feeling he's genuinely concerned and guilty that he was sucked in and played like everyone else.

Mo Britain less Europe
10-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Yep hindsight. Wonderful tool. "I nearly" "I almost". *******s. He did sweet fa and now gets paid for his sensitive feelings to be assuaged whilst helping to keep alive the memory of this disgusting creep who deserves to be forgotten and erased from history

Sir C
10-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Yep hindsight. Wonderful tool. "I nearly" "I almost". *******s. He did sweet fa and now gets paid for his sensitive feelings to be assuaged whilst helping to keep alive the memory of this disgusting creep who deserves to be forgotten and erased from history

Yes, send his file to Smith, W, at Minitrue. He will soon make Savile an unperson.

Burney
10-03-2016, 10:39 AM

Well he was hardly alone in not doing anything, was he? And at least this represented some sort of public acknowledgement of and attempt to atone for that failure. I don't think it was self-serving - quite the reverse, in fact - and have no problem with it.

I think forgetting Savile would be a terrible mistake. He serves as an object lesson in how opportunistic sexual predators can inveigle themselves into organisations like the BBC, protect themselves using fame, contacts, power, money and (God help us) 'charm'. He was able to hide in plain sight precisely because it was easier for everyone just to move on and not think about it. If we forget Savile, we forget the lessons we can learn from him.

Mo Britain less Europe
10-03-2016, 10:47 AM
He is the one who's crowed on most about how he noticed something and could have done something. He didn't. So it's time to get down from that high moral ground because he doesn't deserve to be on it. He suspected. He did nothing.

Burney
10-03-2016, 10:56 AM
He is the one who's crowed on most about how he noticed something and could have done something. He didn't. So it's time to get down from that high moral ground because he doesn't deserve to be on it. He suspected. He did nothing.

I don't think he's claiming any moral high ground, though. In fact he's publicly questioning his own failure to do more.

Mo Britain less Europe
10-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Whilst getting paid for it.

Expect the Allardyce episode expressing remorse - it should only cost £50,000 or thereabouts.

redgunamo
10-03-2016, 11:20 AM
Well he was hardly alone in not doing anything, was he? And at least this represented some sort of public acknowledgement of and attempt to atone for that failure. I don't think it was self-serving - quite the reverse, in fact - and have no problem with it.

I think forgetting Savile would be a terrible mistake. He serves as an object lesson in how opportunistic sexual predators can inveigle themselves into organisations like the BBC, protect themselves using fame, contacts, power, money and (God help us) 'charm'. He was able to hide in plain sight precisely because it was easier for everyone just to move on and not think about it. If we forget Savile, we forget the lessons we can learn from him.

Everyone knows nobody ever learns anything though.