PDA

View Full Version : Well, the golf turned out to be ****e.

IUFG
10-03-2016, 07:47 AM
some great singles matches though

Reed v McIlroy
Mickelson v Garcia

were quite frankly, superb.

World's End Stella
10-03-2016, 08:17 AM

Reed v McIlroy
Mickelson v Garcia

The result (assuming you want Europe to win) was disappointing but the event itself was brilliant, as usual. The golf was outstanding and there was no shortage of intrigue from pin positions to unruly crowds to tactical debates, it was all there.

As I said, the greatest sporting event in the world currently.

Burney
10-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Reed v McIlroy
Mickelson v Garcia

I thought it was ace. Nobody wants a bunch of cůnts running around waving EU flags in victory, do they?

Ash
10-03-2016, 08:56 AM
As I said, the greatest sporting event in the world currently.

I have nothing against golfage, except perhaps some golfer-types, but what you describe there is very much a personal opinion, and not on objective statement of fact. Fact.

World's End Stella
10-03-2016, 09:20 AM
I have nothing against golfage, except perhaps some golfer-types, but what you describe there is very much a personal opinion, and not on objective statement of fact. Fact.

Had it been fact and not opinion I would have put 'FACT' at the end. FACT :-)

The Yank crowds were pretty abusive and borderline out of control. It left me very much looking forward to the 2018 RC when the British crowds would have the chance to get really stuck into the Yanks over here. The passion, the drunkenness, the searing British wit, it's going to be incredible.

It's in France :-(

Burney
10-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Had it been fact and not opinion I would have put 'FACT' at the end. FACT :-)

The Yank crowds were pretty abusive and borderline out of control. It left me very much looking forward to the 2018 RC when the British crowds would have the chance to get really stuck into the Yanks over here. The passion, the drunkenness, the searing British wit, it's going to be incredible.

It's in France :-(

Well by 2018, there may be a certain ambivalence in the UK about playing for Europe anyway. Probably best it's in France. Although it's bound to be attacked by mad Allans, of course.

World's End Stella
10-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Well by 2018, there may be a certain ambivalence in the UK about playing for Europe anyway. Probably best it's in France. Although it's bound to be attacked by mad Allans, of course.

Doubt it, not being in the EU won't change the attitude of the players and golf fans towards the Ryder Cup. Besides, Britain will still be a European country, as much as the British hate to admit it. :-)

I suppose there's always the possibility that the Yanks get so obnoxious that it gets the Frenchies seriously riled up and they get all vindictive and guillotine-like. They can do that on occasion, the French.

Burney
10-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Doubt it, not being in the EU won't change the attitude of the players and golf fans towards the Ryder Cup. Besides, Britain will still be a European country, as much as the British hate to admit it. :-)

I suppose there's always the possibility that the Yanks get so obnoxious that it gets the Frenchies seriously riled up and they get all vindictive and guillotine-like. They can do that on occasion, the French.

Yes, but they might have to stop waving their shít flag about - or at least don't put it near any of our decent British players. And they'll have to take a star off it. :hehe:

Oh, the frogs are some of the most Yankophobic people you'll find in a day's walk. Which is ironic, since the USA is in large part their fault.

redgunamo
10-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Yes, but they might have to stop waving their shít flag about - or at least don't put it near any of our decent British players. And they'll have to take a star off it. :hehe:

Oh, the frogs are some of the most Yankophobic people you'll find in a day's walk. Which is ironic, since the USA is in large part their fault.

Yeah, but only the sort that doesn't like America in *any* country. Everyone else loves it.

Burney
10-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but only the sort that doesn't like America in *any* country. Everyone else loves it.

But in part the French self-image is predicated on not being Anglo-Saxon, which means anti-US posturing is de rigeur in many circles - much as it is on the left of politics in this country, of course, only France's left is rather bigger than ours.

redgunamo
10-03-2016, 10:13 AM
But in part the French self-image is predicated on not being Anglo-Saxon, which means anti-US posturing is de rigeur in many circles - much as it is on the left of politics in this country, of course, only France's left is rather bigger than ours.

I'm not sure about that. Can you imagine a senior British politico declaring that the symbol of the nation is a woman with her tits out? If there *were* such a symbol obviously.

Burney
10-03-2016, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure about that. Can you imagine a senior British politico declaring that the symbol of the nation is a woman with her tits out? If there *were* such a symbol obviously.

Sure, but even France's right is left wing. In terms of its economic policies, Le Front National is some way to the left of the Labour party (or at least of where the Labour Party used to be).

redgunamo
10-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Sure, but even France's right is left wing. In terms of its economic policies, Le Front National is some way to the left of the Labour party (or at least of where the Labour Party used to be).

People are always at pains to make that point though (about the right being in actual fact merely a variation of, and subservient to, the left). And they get away with it too, until something like Brexit happens.

Tony C
10-03-2016, 10:50 AM
My twitter feed was swamped with #Redtide last night....

Ffs....USA did well to slam the door on Europe building momentum. There was a chance last night that with a few wins and sufficient the pressure the yanks would choke.