PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how it's happened but we're not that far off are we?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 11:22 AM
We still don't have a 30 goal a year guy (how many of those are there?) but suddenly our defence looks stronger and more competitive, our midfield is not just creative but wins balls and our forwards are getting goals and also harrying the opposing defences.

Seems to me maybe some of it was attitude. Why on earth it should have changed suddenly, I don't know.

TheCurly
09-29-2016, 11:30 AM
We still don't have a 30 goal a year guy (how many of those are there?) but suddenly our defence looks stronger and more competitive, our midfield is not just creative but wins balls and our forwards are getting goals and also harrying the opposing defences.

Seems to me maybe some of it was attitude. Why on earth it should have changed suddenly, I don't know.

Last few years if Le Coq goes off injured on comes Matty Yellow Card Flamini.Now we can bring Lucas or Giroud on if Alexis isn't cutting it.Instead of playing Arshavin at centre forward for 5 games :-(

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 11:45 AM

You're right, of course, but that's not really the issue anymore, is it. Everyone agrees, and has done for years, that at various points during the season, we will look like the best team on the planet. We all know our team is capable of doing anything we want and need, except win the title.

At this time, there's nowhere near enough evidence to say with any confidence that *anything* has changed, imo. But that's just football, the brilliant, Beautiful Game, as it should be.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Before this was normally on the basis of having a wonderful (mostly) first XI who on their day could beat anyone if they clicked.

But there seems to be more depth in our squad and what I'm liking is the pressing we have now done for for the past couple of games. It seems like a new gameplan to me.

SWv2
09-29-2016, 11:50 AM
You're right, of course, but that's not really the issue anymore, is it. Everyone agrees, and has done for years, that at various points during the season, we will look like the best team on the planet. We all know our team is capable of doing anything we want and need, except win the title.

At this time, there's nowhere near enough evidence to say with any confidence that *anything* has changed, imo. But that's just football, the brilliant, Beautiful Game, as it should be.

Very wise words R, as indeed I have come to expect.

Now if Pokster had written all that invariably references would have been made to chips and pish.

Pat Vegas
09-29-2016, 11:51 AM

We had an excellent transfer window imo.

from no defense to one that looks extremely strong. I think we have the best back 4 in the league.

Alexis and Ozil seem to be playing very well. A suspicious person would link it to the contract renewal.
Walcott is playing well.

And Sanchez is adapting to his new roll well.

It can all go tits up quickly though.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Our cringingly poor defensive performance in the 3-4 loss to Liverpool was possibly the best defeat we've ever had.

Pat Vegas
09-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Our cringingly poor defensive performance in the 3-4 loss to Liverpool was possibly the best defeat we've ever had.

and WD Gabriel for getting knackered.

Pokster
09-29-2016, 11:56 AM

Now if Pokster had written all that invariably references would have been made to chips and pish.

I have been tarred with the chip pissing brush while there are others on here who deserve the title far more than me...berni, I'm looking at you

SWv2
09-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Alexis and Ozil seem to be playing very well. A suspicious person would link it to the contract renewal.

The current form of Sanchez and Ozil should not in any way be a factor in any contract renewal discussions.

They both are simply of the very highest order in Europe never mind the PL and should be remunerated (if that is the issue) accordingly.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 11:57 AM
I think Gabriel is, or can be, a decent enough no. 3 or no. 4 but Mustafi seems like different class to him. A football agent who's a friend of mine maintains he is a huge signing. Tbf he also thinks Lucas isn't good enough for the Arsenal.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 12:01 PM
I think Gabriel is, or can be, a decent enough no. 3 or no. 4 but Mustafi seems like different class to him. A football agent who's a friend of mine maintains he is a huge signing. Tbf he also thinks Lucas isn't good enough for the Arsenal.

To be fair, you don't need an agent to tell you that. A ten year-old son with a laptop and PES works just as well, scouting-wise.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 12:01 PM

Thank you. Are you trying to get in my knickers?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 12:03 PM
To be fair, you don't need an agent to tell you that. A ten year-old son with a laptop and PES works just as well, scouting-wise.

Well he knows his stuff. He was also responding to my statement that we'd been done on Mustafi through dithering and could have got him for £10 million less.

SWv2
09-29-2016, 12:18 PM
You have to love the general sense of euphoria brought on by a series of good performances and results.

Sure only last month we were ****e and a shambles etc.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
09-29-2016, 12:19 PM
You have to love the general sense of euphoria brought on by a series of good performances and results.

Sure only last month we were ****e and a shambles etc.

It's a funny old game, SW.

Luis Anaconda
09-29-2016, 12:20 PM
3-1 at home to Blackburn springs to mind in that category, m

SWv2
09-29-2016, 12:21 PM
It's a funny old game, SW.

Indeed it is for this very reason that I refuse to get carried away.

That and an obvious inner sense of suave coolness.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
3-1 at home to Blackburn springs to mind in that category, m

Great shout. I was there. Terrible seens.

That was attitude. However the Liverpool defeat was instrumental in getting us Mustafi. If we'd blundered onto a draw there methinks Mustafi might not have come.

World's End Stella
09-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Great shout. I was there. Terrible seens.

That was attitude. However the Liverpool defeat was instrumental in getting us Mustafi. If we'd blundered onto a draw there methinks Mustafi might not have come.

Well we finished second last season so I think there were quite a few supporters who felt we were only a few players away. Problem was that we've had that feeling before over the past 10 years or so and those opportunities slipped away so there was a sense of deja vu. This was exacerbated by the fact that many people thought the players were a striker (very hard to find), a DM (Wenger seemed to not want to spend money on the position and as he had just bought Elneny would he really buy another?) and a CB (see DM and replace Elneny with Gabriel).

However with Xhaka and Mustafi both looking like very good buys and Sanchez playing well up front, our issues look like they have resolutions. Hence the optimism. Well done, Arsene.