PDA

View Full Version : The Silence of the Awimbs

Mo Britain less Europe
09-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Excellent result and performance, Team on a bit of a run and awimb celebrates by... not turning up!!!

No comments throughout the match. Is that a first?

Pat Vegas
09-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Excellent result and performance, Team on a bit of a run and awimb celebrates by... not turning up!!!

You had been warning us for the impeding slip up Mo.

We looked bloody good imo

Mo Britain less Europe
09-28-2016, 09:48 PM
I had been warning we shouldn't be complacent. We weren't. Killed the game off in the first half-hour, although I would have liked more goals so the substitutions could have been to rest key players rather than tactical. But it would be curmudgeonly to criticise anything.

More of the same. We have seven very winnable games coming up next. Let's make it 11 wins on the trot.

Ash
09-28-2016, 10:03 PM

The sticky is serving us well. Performance better than the result on this occasion. Amazing football, should have been a cricket score. Alexis might not have had his shooting boots on but those assisty boots helped Theon.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Keeper made four or five good saves. Alexis missed a sitter, Mesut missed one too. A couple of bad choices in crossing which should have left to open goals.

There was no pressure on the result, our pressing high up and ball recovery was superb. We do need to increase our shot to goal ratio. We're not always going to have as many chances as tonight and Saturday. And our corners are again very poor.

Mustafi loooks like a real find.

Sir C
09-29-2016, 07:37 AM

Now I'm not the grinchy sort, but goal difference might be an issue in this group...

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Now I'm not the grinchy sort, but goal difference might be an issue in this group...

Only if PSG get the better of us in our personal goal difference. It's us or them. Can't wait to get Bayern in the next round after they end up second in their group.

SWv2
09-29-2016, 08:06 AM

1. I don't think any functioning adult actually uses this place beyond 9-5 Monday to Friday
2. I told you they were ****

Basel. *******s.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 08:13 AM
1. I don't think any functioning adult actually uses this place beyond 9-5 Monday to Friday
2. I told you they were ****

Basel. *******s.

You don't get over 20k posts by being here part time, SW.

You might want to have a quiet word with yourself, Theo-style. Think about upping your game a bit. You're clearly too comfortable, coasting through your AWIMB career.

SWv2
09-29-2016, 08:15 AM

I know you are going to tell me for my inate sense of spoiled rotten entitlement but I wanted 4 .. 5...

Sir C
09-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Only if PSG get the better of us in our personal goal difference. It's us or them. Can't wait to get Bayern in the next round after they end up second in their group.

Hmm. You're ignoring the possibility of dropping points in Switzerland or Ludoland, wherever it is. And getting beaten at home by PSG isn't exactly unimaginable, is it?

SWv2
09-29-2016, 08:17 AM
You don't get over 20k posts by being here part time, SW.

You might want to have a quiet word with yourself, Theo-style. Think about upping your game a bit. You're clearly too comfortable, coasting through your AWIMB career.

You only have 20,000 because you dredged up your old admittedly legfendary character as opposed to reinventing yourself as a new, hip, spontaneous and vibrant board member like the rest of us.

Do you Awimb at weekends?

Sir C
09-29-2016, 08:19 AM
I know you are going to tell me for my inate sense of spoiled rotten entitlement but I wanted 4 .. 5...

It's frustrating being that much on top and watching chances go begging, I agree.

If that Chilean midget could finish we'd have scored 6.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 08:20 AM
It's frustrating being that much on top and watching chances go begging, I agree.

Interesting. I recall someone enlightened saying in the last couple of days Alexis wasn't a striker.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 08:32 AM

I watched the match at a neighbour's place (he watched Bayern on another telly). Sausages, cheese, bread, nibbles and a couple of small barrels of some mysterious, unnamed Bière d'Alsace.

A most agreeable evening all round. Sehr gemütlich, gentlemanly.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 08:34 AM
You only have 20,000 because you dredged up your old admittedly legfendary character as opposed to reinventing yourself as a new, hip, spontaneous and vibrant board member like the rest of us.

Do you Awimb at weekends?

You're too kind.

Yes. Certainly. If we're playing.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Interesting. I recall someone enlightened saying in the last couple of days Alexis wasn't a striker.

I don't think he is one, he's merely playing at being one at the moment. That's clearly the fashion nowadays.

Making a decent job of it for us too.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 08:44 AM

Nothing new there, I think. Even The Invincibles were well-known for playing lots of wonderful football, tearing the opposition apart and then failing to score at the end of it.

Luis Anaconda
09-29-2016, 08:57 AM

Enlightened? No, clueless I would say

Brentwood
09-29-2016, 09:00 AM
When I see Iwobi I think Alex Hleb. Anyone else? Anyone?

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 09:33 AM
When I see Iwobi I think Alex Hleb. Anyone else? Anyone?

It's the stockings.

TheCurly
09-29-2016, 09:34 AM
It's the stockings.

Sex,sex,sex.That's all you think about.Will the girls like this? Will the girls like that?

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Sex,sex,sex.That's all you think about.Will the girls like this? Will the girls like that?

It's all that sexy football. Blame Wenger.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 11:15 AM
I have a feeling in order to win the Champions League we'd need an Aubemyang or someone up front whose conversion rate for chances is higher than what we've got.

If you put Alexis on the left he's still going to get you loots of goals. But someone like Wrighty in his prime will get more shots on target and score tap-ins and stuff. The old fox in the box.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 11:31 AM
I have a feeling in order to win the Champions League we'd need an Aubemyang or someone up front whose conversion rate for chances is higher than what we've got.

If you put Alexis on the left he's still going to get you loots of goals. But someone like Wrighty in his prime will get more shots on target and score tap-ins and stuff. The old fox in the box.

Add a fifty million pound striker to most teams and they'd begin to fancy their chances, wouldn't they. Even my daughter's school netball team would and they are completely *useless*.

Wenger's question, since Thierry*, has been How To Win It Without One Of These. Currently Alexis is giving it a good go.

*I know he didn't cost us that much but he played like he did.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 11:43 AM
We wouldn't have had a prayer before because there were other areas of weakness. For example centre-half. Kos is our best centre-half since Sol and if Mustafi turns out to be as good as he seems at the moment we could have our best centre-half pairing since the famous back four.

Our squad has improved to the stage where we could afford to shed a couple of players (eg Mertesacker) without a need for a replacement. We don't need to buy anyone else only splash the cash if a top man is available.

None of our squad (except Per) looks like needing to move on next summer either.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 11:51 AM
We wouldn't have had a prayer before because there were other areas of weakness. For example centre-half. Kos is our best centre-half since Sol and if Mustafi turns out to be as good as he seems at the moment we could have our best centre-half pairing since the famous back four.

Our squad has improved to the stage where we could afford to shed a couple of players (eg Mertesacker) without a need for a replacement. We don't need to buy anyone else only splash the cash if a top man is available.

None of our squad (except Per) looks like needing to move on next summer either.

That's how it goes though, ain't it. You solve one area of concern and a couple of others appear. The reserve you thought was adequate turns out to be rubbish when actually called upon. You sort the fullback position out and then he decides he wants to go home to Birmingham or Barcelona or wherever.

The whole thing is all so very sad and blithering and futile :cry:

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 11:55 AM
That's how it goes though, ain't it. You solve one area of concern and a couple of others appear. The reserve you thought was adequate turns out to be rubbish when actually called upon. You sort the fullback position out and then he decides he wants to go home to Birmingham or Barcelona or wherever.

The whole thing is all so very sad and blithering and futile :cry:

Yes. My point is there are no serious areas of concern because we have more or less proven players who can't even get on the bench when everyone's fit.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Yes. My point is there are no serious areas of concern because we have more or less proven players who can't even get on the bench when everyone's fit.

And my point is they haven't *proven* they can win us the league :shrug:

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Accepted. And neither had Henry until he did. We have a new mix and maybe the missing pieces of the jigsaw are falling into place.

And no, I think Iwobi is potentially a far better player than Hleb.

Ash
09-29-2016, 12:59 PM
And no, I think Iwobi is potentially a far better player than Hleb.

Iwobi can pass a football for a start. Hleb couldn't do that until Arsene had taught him how, at which point he was qualified to go and play for Barcelona.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Iwobi goes forward, Hleb mostly went sideways.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Iwobi can pass a football for a start. Hleb couldn't do that until Arsene had taught him how, at which point he was qualified to go and play for Barcelona.

I thought shooting was his issue, rather than passing? Lovely dribbler, if one likes that sort of thing.

Ash
09-29-2016, 01:57 PM
I thought shooting was his issue, rather than passing? Lovely dribbler, if one likes that sort of thing.

Velcro Feet, I used to call him. And shooting is just a specific instance of a pass, of course, for Arsenal.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Velcro Feet, I used to call him. And shooting is just a specific instance of a pass, of course, for Arsenal.

Right. Yes :-|

Luis Anaconda
09-29-2016, 02:31 PM
Iwobi goes forward, Hleb mostly went sideways.
With all due respect, Mo - and I do hope you are just joking - that is a big pile of *******s

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 02:45 PM
With all due respect, Mo - and I do hope you are just joking - that is a big pile of *******s

A pile of asterisks? Hleb couldn't shoot for toffee, he was little more than an update on Helder. Not a bad player in a good midfield but Iwobi is more direct and is better at holding the ball and shooting.And still only 20. So yes, I'll stand by that.

TheCurly
09-29-2016, 02:46 PM
A pile of asterisks? Hleb couldn't shoot for toffee, he was little more than an update on Helder. Not a bad player in a good midfield but Iwobi is more direct and is better at holding the ball and shooting.And still only 20. So yes, I'll stand by that.

Hleb was a great footballer Mo.I loved watching him

Luis Anaconda
09-29-2016, 02:49 PM

saying Hleb only went sideways is garbage, his partnership with Cesc would have been seen as one of the greats if he stuck around. Fine player as is Iwobi of course

Mo Britain less Europe
09-29-2016, 02:52 PM
saying Hleb only went sideways is garbage, his partnership with Cesc would have been seen as one of the greats if he stuck around. Fine player as is Iwobi of course

3 goals in 90 games? Even though he was briefly played as a second striker - bizarre decision for someone wtih no goals in him. He was a good player but did nothing after leaving Arsenal so maybe those around him made him look better than he was.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 02:54 PM
3 goals in 90 games? Even though he was briefly played as a second striker - bizarre decision for someone wtih no goals in him. He was a good player but did nothing after leaving Arsenal so maybe those around him made him look better than he was.

:nod: Eduardo.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 02:56 PM

It's like Twenty Thousand Years of the Two Ronnies on here nowadays :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-TNrSDVGi0