PDA

View Full Version : Of course, all this bung business does suggest another reason why AW is always in the

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:30 AM
firing line from the punditocracy of British ex managers and players. After all, in a world where everyone's on the take, everyone hates the guy who isn't, don't they?

7sisters
09-28-2016, 08:37 AM
firing line from the punditocracy of British ex managers and players. After all, in a world where everyone's on the take, everyone hates the guy who isn't, don't they?

http://static.rogerebert.com/redactor_assets/pictures/far-flung-correspondents/serpico-the-cop-who-wouldnt-take-money/18-serpico-pvs.jpg

Luis Anaconda
09-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Though he is best buddies with Dodgy David Dein

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:39 AM
http://static.rogerebert.com/redactor_assets/pictures/far-flung-correspondents/serpico-the-cop-who-wouldnt-take-money/18-serpico-pvs.jpg

:hehe: Exactly so, 7. 'Many of his fellow officers considered him the most dangerous man alive - an honest cop'

Fits AW to a tee imo.

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Though he is best buddies with Dodgy David Dein

Yes, but - and I know it doesn't do to idealise people - I simply cannot imagine AW taking a bung. He is one of life's natural ascetics.

redgunamo
09-28-2016, 08:47 AM

Oh, I'm sure He *is*, at least by the standards of this latest kerfuffle anyway. He'd be hard for anyone to pin down though as the circle of people He deals with wouldn't be within Fleet Street's sphere (nobody else does investigative reporting like they can).

Also He's certainly disciplined enough not to mouth off in front of people who haven't been fairly conclusively vetted.

Excellent fellow. Discretion is His watchword.

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:56 AM
Oh, I'm sure He *is*, at least by the standards of this latest kerfuffle anyway. He'd be hard for anyone to pin down though as the circle of people He deals with wouldn't be within Fleet Street's sphere (nobody else does investigative reporting like they can).

Also He's certainly disciplined enough not to mouth off in front of people who haven't been fairly conclusively vetted.

Excellent fellow. Discretion is His watchword.

I certainly think he's far too clever to compromise his extremely well-paid position by taking one-off bungs of relatively piddling sums.

I think that's the most repellent aspect of it - most of these chaps are extremely well-remunerated, but cannot resist the allure of 'free' cash and will happily beg and wheedle for relative scraps.

Sir C
09-28-2016, 08:58 AM
I certainly think he's far too clever to compromise his extremely well-paid position by taking one-off bungs of relatively piddling sums.

I think that's the most repellent aspect of it - most of these chaps are extremely well-remunerated, but cannot resist the allure of 'free' cash and will happily beg and wheedle for relative scraps.

Mind you, I think we can all agree that nothing feels quite as satisfying as a large bundle of cash of which the Revenue know nothing.

Burney
09-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Mind you, I think we can all agree that nothing feels quite as satisfying as a large bundle of cash of which the Revenue know nothing.

Sure, but to beg for it in the way the agent suggests? Ugh!

redgunamo
09-28-2016, 09:02 AM

It's not about the money. It's the need to be seen to be a bigshot, a mover and a shaker, a someone. Of course, as the success of that project will be indeed measured in cash, that's the thing people can focus on.

People behave the way they behave because that's the way they behave. A hound doesn't stop chasing after hare just because he has a tin of Chunky Lumps at home, does he.

redgunamo
09-28-2016, 09:03 AM

I wouldn't know anything about that :-|

Mo Britain less Europe
09-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Peter Sellers looks quite hip in that pic.

Brentwood
09-28-2016, 12:31 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/28/sam-allardyce-sting-agent-mark-curtis-controversy

Looks like Fat Sam has been persuading/forcing his players to sign for that agent. Suggestions that Ravel Morisson was sent on loan from West Ham to QPR for refusing to sign with the agent. So the person who is supposed to be getting the best deal for the club, when it comes to signing players and setting their wages, will personally benefit the more that player earns (as the agent gets 5% of everything they earn). Stinks to high heaven

Lar d'Arse
09-29-2016, 04:14 PM
People behave the way they behave because that's the way they behave. A hound doesn't stop chasing after hare just because he has a tin of Chunky Lumps at home, does he.

That was almost Wengeresque r.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 04:32 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/28/sam-allardyce-sting-agent-mark-curtis-controversy

Looks like Fat Sam has been persuading/forcing his players to sign for that agent. Suggestions that Ravel Morisson was sent on loan from West Ham to QPR for refusing to sign with the agent. So the person who is supposed to be getting the best deal for the club, when it comes to signing players and setting their wages, will personally benefit the more that player earns (as the agent gets 5% of everything they earn). Stinks to high heaven

That's football, ain't it. Seems to be the way things are done everywhere.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 04:33 PM

Too kind, I'm sure :-)

Ash
09-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Even better, Chunky Lumps doesn't seem to be a brand of dogfood that the internet has heard of. Top, top aphorising.

redgunamo
09-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Even better, Chunky Lumps doesn't seem to be a brand of dogfood that the internet has heard of. Top, top aphorising.

Ha! Actually, I pinched it from an old Spitting Image sketch, possibly involving Harold Wilson. Ted Bench perhaps? The brand name just always appealed.

Edit. Found it! Your internets must be rubbish. From about 6:35.

https://youtu.be/MbOUnKJPdaM?t=6m35s

Ash
09-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Ha! Actually, I pinched it from an old Spitting Image sketch, possibly involving Harold Wilson. Ted Bench perhaps? The brand name just always appealed.

Edit. Found it! Your internets must be rubbish. From about 6:35.

Fantastic! especially as Jim Callaghan (it was he) was voiced by Chris Barrie just as I'm watching some old Red Dwarf. Top synchronicity!