09-28-2016, 07:57 AM
read all about it etc etc

If only.

I mean we know he is a corrupt ******* but just too damn slippery to catch

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:14 AM
If only.

I mean we know he is a corrupt ******* but just too damn slippery to catch

Bit sneaky of the Telegraph to suggest they were going to name all these managers and then utterly fail to do so. I'd be outraged...if I'd actually bothered buying the paper.

Luis Anaconda
09-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Bit sneaky of the Telegraph to suggest they were going to name all these managers and then utterly fail to do so. I'd be outraged...if I'd actually bothered buying the paper.

Indeed - actually one of the things overlooked in Allardyce's interview is the fact that he says the bung culture is not what it was, which kind of undermines the Telegraph's football is more corrupt than ever point of view:

From the Times (naturally happy to play this up):

"Buried in that Telegraph article are comments from Allardyce dismissing the “bung” culture. “You daren’t even think about it”, “You can’t go there any more”, “You can’t pay a player, you can’t pay a manager, you can’t pay a CEO”, “It used to happen 20-odd, 30-odd years ago”. Given that one of the Telegraph’s aims was probably to get him talking candidly about the bung culture, as he did in that (in)famous Panorama investigation a decade ago, this seems like a fairly firm dismissal of that culture. I can only imagine they spent much of the four hours trying to get him to say something unwise about this – and he didn’t."

redgunamo
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Indeed - actually one of the things overlooked in Allardyce's interview is the fact that he says the bung culture is not what it was, which kind of undermines the Telegraph's football is more corrupt than ever point of view:

"Buried in that Telegraph article are comments from Allardyce dismissing the “bung” culture. “You daren’t even think about it”, “You can’t go there any more”, “You can’t pay a player, you can’t pay a manager, you can’t pay a CEO”, “It used to happen 20-odd, 30-odd years ago”. Given that one of the Telegraph’s aims was probably to get him talking candidly about the bung culture, as he did in that (in)famous Panorama investigation a decade ago, this seems like a fairly firm dismissal of that culture. I can only imagine they spent much of the four hours trying to get him to say something unwise about this – and he didn’t."

However, according The Guardian, Joey Barton's book says that's all nonsense and that unofficial, undeclared, off-budget payments are still rife within the game.

One simply doesn't know who to trust anymore :-(

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:35 AM

Well given that he's purportedly talking to someone who's looking to employ him relatively legitimately, it's surely not that much of a surprise that he doesn't admit to outright criminal activity, is it?

redgunamo
09-28-2016, 08:39 AM
Well given that he's purportedly talking to someone who's looking to employ him relatively legitimately, it's surely not that much of a surprise that he doesn't admit to outright criminal activity, is it?

True, but he still managed to go too far though. Rule #1: Don't "talk" to people you don't know.

Luis Anaconda
09-28-2016, 08:42 AM

Hmmm - I think you give him too much credit, given apparently he was drinking wine in pints. White wine at that

And saying it did happen 20 years ago kind of implicates him anyway

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Hmmm - I think you give him too much credit, given apparently he was drinking wine in pints. White wine at that

And saying it did happen 20 years ago kind of implicates him anyway

White wine in pints? Seriously?! :hehe: What a revolting pig of a man he is.

Imagine being the poor prostitute required to service that rank slab of offal. :cry:

SWv2
09-28-2016, 08:46 AM
I am torn as to whether this is admirable or scum journalism.

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:49 AM
I am torn as to whether this is admirable or scum journalism.

To be fair, there is a clear public interest in establishing that the Manager of the England football team is easily bought, indiscreet and happy to help others undermine the rules set out by his employers.

SWv2
09-28-2016, 08:54 AM
To be fair, there is a clear public interest in establishing that the Manager of the England football team is easily bought, indiscreet and happy to help others undermine the rules set out by his employers.

I simply don’t like the concept of entrapment or whatever the term is. Report on the news, don’t create it.

It does not in any way take away from the greed and stupidity of Allardyce.

Sir C
09-28-2016, 08:56 AM
White wine in pints? Seriously?! :hehe: What a revolting pig of a man he is.

Imagine being the poor prostitute required to service that rank slab of offal. :cry:

You'd need ice in that. It would get warm before you reached the end.

redgunamo
09-28-2016, 08:57 AM
I simply don’t like the concept of entrapment or whatever the term is. Report on the news, don’t create it.

I see where you're coming from, I think. "Big Sam Behaves Like Big Sam!" is hardly news though.

Burney
09-28-2016, 08:58 AM

It's not really entrapment as he's happily volunteered the most damning information in response to straight questions.

Burney
09-28-2016, 09:00 AM
You'd need ice in that. It would get warm before you reached the end.

That was certainly the case for Tommy Walsh when he ordered pints of Bailey's. With ice the it was merely disgusting. Without it, I imagine it would be like drinking a toddler's vomit.

redgunamo
09-28-2016, 09:13 AM
It's not really entrapment as he's happily volunteered the most damning information in response to straight questions.

No suggestion of it leading to a criminal investigation? Only I gather he could have saved himself by fingering others which, of course was never going to happen.

Probably just as well too, especially if there was also going to be secretly-filmed video-accompaniment. Just imagine :-(

Tony C
09-28-2016, 03:07 PM
Pretty poor form to go after Allardyce the way they did.

All these people saying he gets paid £3m a year know full well they wouldn't say no to a freeeeeeee £400k if it was dangled in front of them.

Laughed when I saw how the telegraph tried to justify what they did by saying other news outlets reported as wel....YES BECAUSE YOU FKIN PUT IT OUT THERE!

At least he's England's most sussesful manager of all time...so well done him!

Look...he was caught with his pants down and had to go but you can't really excuse the telegraph for what they did...don't they have more important stuff to be investigating?? Ffs

Ash
09-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Look...he was caught with his pants down and had to go but you can't really excuse the telegraph for what they did...don't they have more important stuff to be investigating?? Ffs

Referees. #mikeriley