PDA

View Full Version : Hang the fück on. Raphael Meade scored 25 goals in 41 games for Sporting Lisbon

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-27-2016, 02:56 PM
after he left us? (1985-8)

Is this true? Or is someone taking the piss on wiki?

I loved Meade cos he scored a hat-trick in my first ever reserve game as a kid.

But did he really score 0.6 goals a game for a top Portuguese team?

I wonder if he had a song. (What rhymes with Raphael or Meade in Portugeezer?)

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:00 PM
If you look at the stats his time at Sporting coincided with a league and title drought.

I suspect very little rhymes with Meade (pronounced the English way at least) in Portuguese.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 03:03 PM

I was accused of racism on here once for referring to Chris Whyte as 'Chalky'. :-( It was what he was called, ffs. And a whyte bloke would be called Chalky if his name was Whyte as well. So I still deny the racism.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:06 PM
I was accused of racism on here once for referring to Chris Whyte as 'Chalky'. :-( It was what he was called, ffs. And a whyte bloke would be called Chalky if his name was Whyte as well. So I still deny the racism.

And? And? And?

SWv2
09-27-2016, 03:07 PM

You make me sick.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 03:07 PM
And? And? And?

Well once I called reg a golly*, but that was just a fit of pique and he forgave me.

*I didn't really.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 03:09 PM
You make me sick.

I understand that in your culture a refusal to engage in racist taunting is considered deviant behaviour, sw, but here in civilisation we judge a man not by the colour of his skin.

We don't like people if they were born between Wales and the USA, but that's a different matter.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Well once I called reg a golly*, but that was just a fit of pique and he forgave me.

*I didn't really.

I fail to see what this has to do with Raphael Meade. Do you start thinking about racism every time a black player is mentioned?

Burney
09-27-2016, 03:10 PM

Maybe they called him 'The Meadeophile'

Sir C
09-27-2016, 03:11 PM
I fail to see what this has to do with Raphael Meade. Do you start thinking about racism every time a black player is mentioned?

Oh no, sorry, it's just that earlier I confused the two.

No, hold on, one was Gus Caeser.

Oh Christ. :-(

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:11 PM
"Raphael, Raphael,
Moito bom, es el"

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:12 PM
Oh no, sorry, it's just that earlier I confused the two.

No, hold on, one was Gus Caeser.

Oh Christ. :-(

Do you think Louis Armstrong looked a bit like Larry Holmes?

Sir C
09-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Do you think Louis Armstrong looked a bit like Larry Holmes?

I didn't say anyone looked like anyone else, I simply misremembered the subject of an anecdote.

I can see your agme, m. I'm watching you carefully.

09-27-2016, 03:16 PM

I think he might have read my other post where I said that when I went to that first reserve game (5-1 vs Argyle) as a kid, there were 3 black players I liked.

Meade scored a hat-trick, but there was also Chris Whyte (who won the league with Leeds) and a young Paul Davis who I didn't rate as highly as RM as he hadn't scored a hat-trick.

Meade was my fave player.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 03:18 PM
I think he might have read my other post where I said that when I went to that first reserve game (5-1 vs Argyle) as a kid, there were 3 black players I liked.

Meade scored a hat-trick, but there was also Chris Whyte (who won the league with Leeds) and a young Paul Davis who I didn't rate as highly as RM as he hadn't scored a hat-trick.

Meade was my fave player.

Exactly so, g. I wonder if the Meade, Caeser and Whyte ever played in the first team together?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:20 PM
I didn't say anyone looked like anyone else, I simply misremembered the subject of an anecdote.

I can see your agme, m. I'm watching you carefully.

You can't see my agme Sir C. I'm keeping it well covered.

09-27-2016, 03:20 PM
If you look at the stats his time at Sporting coincided with a league and title drought.

I suspect very little rhymes with Meade (pronounced the English way at least) in Portuguese.

So you're saying that when Raphael turned up there, they starting losing all the time?

Well if so, scoring 0.6 a game is even more impressive in a **** team. Perez only got 0.5 for his bunch of dagos last year.

I do hope he has his own song.

Burney
09-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Exactly so, g. I wonder if the Meade, Caeser and Whyte ever played in the first team together?

Fascinating question, but unfortunately it's impossible to say due to all black men being indistinguishable from one another, I'd say.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:29 PM
So you're saying that when Raphael turned up there, they starting losing all the time?

Well if so, scoring 0.6 a game is even more impressive in a **** team. Perez only got 0.5 for his bunch of dagos last year.

No. I'm saying Sporting weren't very good when they signed him and he doesn't seem to have made them much better.

09-27-2016, 03:32 PM

Don't think so.

GC didn't make his debut until Dec '85 (as a 19 year old.) Meade left in autumn '85 I think. And CW (or Chalky as you call him) was on loan from '84 and sold in '86.

This is why that reserve game had CW, RM and Paul Davis, but not young Gus.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:32 PM

Just for you Ganpz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdCyjkRp2M

The text is pretty complimentary. Calls him a great goalscorer.

09-27-2016, 03:34 PM
"Raphael, Raphael,
Moito bom, es el"

What does the second line mean? (Cos your "song" certainly scans and rhymes.)

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:35 PM
"Very good, is he."

09-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Just for you Ganpz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXdCyjkRp2M

The text is pretty complimentary. Calls him a great goalscorer.

That you so much, Mo.

Was that us he was playing against 3'40" in? Looked a very similar kit, if not.

Didn't realise the Islington Eusebio was so quick. A few of his goals down the right looked Feo-esque.

I never knew what happened to him after he left us. So glad he had a decent career and was loved at a major European club.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Probably Braga. Their shirts are very similar to ours, I think there was a link way back.

There seems to be a fair amount on him in Portuguese websites so he clearly made more of an impact there than at the Arsenal.

09-27-2016, 04:00 PM
No. I'm saying Sporting weren't very good when they signed him and he doesn't seem to have made them much better.

Bit like all our big name buys in the mid-80s then.

Woodcock and Marriner etc.

Champagne Charlie didn't do all that much, but he did win us our first ever League Cup and was the first player to beat LFC when Rush had scored.

It doesn't say how much Sporting paid us for Meade. Hope we got a few bob. But chuffed he as a bit of a light for their fans in their dark days.

09-27-2016, 04:01 PM
"Very good, is he."

Excellent. Your song is no worse that some of the drivel sung nowadays.

Raphael, Raphael.
Moito bom, es el.

Love it.