PDA

View Full Version : I watched the second half of Burnley v Watford last night.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Don't ask me why.

Anyways, it occurred to me that of the 22 players on the pitch, perhaps 15 of them seemed no better than decent, fit, solid footballers. And they're all probably earning a minimum of £1 million a year.

:hehe: What a time to have been born with a modicum of talent!

Lucky, lucky bástards.

SWv2
09-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Don't ask me why.

Anyways, it occurred to me that of the 22 players on the pitch, perhaps 15 of them seemed no better than decent, fit, solid footballers. And they're all probably earning a minimum of £1 million a year.

Lucky, lucky bástards.

Did you notice the £30m striker up front for Watford.

The world has gone mad.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 09:53 AM

The world has gone mad.

£30m? Troy Deeney? Surely you jest?

Pat Vegas
09-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Don't ask me why.

Lucky, lucky bástards.

I always think that someone like Ospina has it made.
Doesn't play often gets his cup games, rest of the time hanging about collecting the money.

SWv2
09-27-2016, 09:57 AM
£30m? Troy Deeney? Surely you jest?

I am not one to jest about such matters. I have to say it knocked me for six at the time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/20/leicester-city-ready-to-spend-30million-on-watford-skipper-troy/

Shocking.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 09:57 AM
I always think that someone like Ospina has it made.
Doesn't play often gets his cup games, rest of the time hanging about collecting the money.

Yes, I remember when Almunia joined and was sitting around waiting for Jens to get injured, I read one day about his highly respected collection of classic Ferraris... :hehe:

Sir C
09-27-2016, 09:58 AM
I am not one to jest about such matters. I have to say it knocked me for six at the time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/20/leicester-city-ready-to-spend-30million-on-watford-skipper-troy/

Shocking.

Dear Lord. It can't last.

redgunamo
09-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Don't ask me why.

Lucky, lucky bástards.

That's a little harsh, I think.

If, let us say, *everyone* wants to play football for a living and there's only roughly 600 players in the Premier League, each of those maybe 15 lads have done very well indeed. Every one of them will have been, at some point, considered among the best around, maybe at local or schools level, youth football or age-group sections.

Not everyone in every profession can claim that.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 10:04 AM
That's a little harsh, I think.

If, let us say, *everyone* wants to play football for a living and there's only roughly 600 players in the Premier League, each of those maybe 15 lads have done very well indeed. Every one of them will have been, at some point, considered among the best around, maybe at local or schools level, youth football or age-group sections.

Not everyone in every profession can claim that.

No no, don't get me wrong, I understand absolutely what it takes to get to play at top level professional sport; I recall a section in Fever Pitch in which Nick Hornby talks about Rafael Meade, how he would have been the best player in his junior school class, the best in his school, then the best in his Sunday league team, the best at his county trials, the best on the day of his Arsenal trial, the best in the youths, better than thousands and thousands of kids he played with and against, and then... he makes the first team, and is utterly ordinary.

By our standards they are gods; by the standards of the top level they are ordinary. But STILL making a million a year.

Burney
09-27-2016, 10:06 AM
No no, don't get me wrong, I understand absolutely what it takes to get to play at top level professional sport; I recall a section in Fever Pitch in which Nick Hornby talks about Rafael Meade, how he would have been the best player in his junior school class, the best in his school, then the best in his Sunday league team, the best at his county trials, the best on the day of his Arsenal trial, the best in the youths, better than thousands and thousands of kids he played with and against, and then... he makes the first team, and is utterly ordinary.

By our standards they are gods; by the standards of the top level they are ordinary. But STILL making a million a year.

I think that was Gus Caesar, to be fair. I may have my issues with Gus, but I don't think he ever raped anyone.

Raphael Meade was certainly the best player on E Wing.

redgunamo
09-27-2016, 10:07 AM

Right. Fair enough. Still a relative pittance for a lifetime of dedication and passion for their game, imo.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 10:09 AM
I think that was Gus Caesar, to be fair. I may have my issues with Gus, but I don't think he ever raped anyone.

Gus used to make me chuckle, at least.

redgunamo
09-27-2016, 10:11 AM

The world has gone mad.

Kloppo was on the show last night, in the @GNev role, so to speak. He did well.

They should get a different Premier League manager on every week, I reckon. Wenger next maybe?

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 10:14 AM

Poor old Raphael never actually got done for anything, you know

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Kloppo was on the show last night, in the @GNev role, so to speak. He did well.

They should get a different Premier League manager on every week, I reckon. Wenger next maybe?

I'm led to believe he performs this role for French telly, and does it very well, apparently

SWv2
09-27-2016, 12:54 PM
I'm led to believe he performs this role for French telly, and does it very well, apparently

I thought he did it for Al Jazeera which I found odd as I mistakenly thought that was the chosen media outlet of the various terrorists that hate the west.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-27-2016, 02:50 PM

I saw Raphael Meade score a hat-trick in the first reserve game I went to as a kid - 5-1 at Highbury against Plymouth Argyle. (Their only goal was a pen.)

We had 3 black kids that day of which I thought Meade was by far the best and certain for the big time.

There was also Chris Whyte (who I think won the league with Leeds) and some left-footed midfield who I obv didn't think was as good a Raphael. Think his name was Paul Davis or something. Wonder what happened to him?