PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone getting excited about the greatest sporting event known to mankind?

World's End Stella
09-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Four days until the Ryder Cup

:cloud9:

Pokster
09-26-2016, 01:27 PM

It makes me happy that you find it so good when you are neither European or American..wd wes

World's End Stella
09-26-2016, 01:29 PM
It makes me happy that you find it so good when you are neither European or American..wd wes

You mean in the same way that someone who is neither French nor Portuguese might have enjoyed the Euro final?

Pokster
09-26-2016, 01:32 PM
You mean in the same way that someone who is neither French nor Portuguese might have enjoyed the Euro final?

Not in the slightest... nobody enjoyed the Euro Final as Ronaldo ended up on the winning team

Ash
09-26-2016, 01:39 PM

Get a grip, man. It's only golf.

Luis Anaconda
09-26-2016, 01:39 PM

County Championship ended last Friday, w

redgunamo
09-26-2016, 01:45 PM

The Real Madrid boys are so excited they've arrived about three weeks early. The International Dog and Pony Championship Show in Dortmund gets everybody in the end, I suppose.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/live-experience/cps/624/cpsprodpb/vivo/live/images/2016/9/26/tweet-780383269204455424-2.jpg

World's End Stella
09-26-2016, 02:20 PM
Get a grip, man. It's only golf.

It may only be golf, but as a competition it is unparalleled imo. And I don't even golf anymore.

redgunamo
09-26-2016, 02:40 PM
It may only be golf, but as a competition it is unparalleled imo. And I don't even golf anymore.

That's fair enough. It *is* a great sporting spectacle.

And RIP that old golfing legend fellow that died last night. If the king of style says he had style, then he had style, I reckon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtQYmmMWAAA7ZFr.jpg:large

Luis Anaconda
09-26-2016, 02:42 PM
That's fair enough. It *is* a great sporting spectacle.

And RIP that old golfing legend fellow that died last night. If the king of style says he had style, then he had style, I reckon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtQYmmMWAAA7ZFr.jpg:large

Is that the Don Johnson?

redgunamo
09-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Is that the Don Johnson?

No, it's the beautiful Mandarin Duck :homer:

Ash
09-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Is that the Don Johnson?

I think it's Kevin Davies.

Lar d'Arse
09-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Don Johnson or not - there is no way that photo was taken in 2016.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Golf is not a sport.

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 08:22 AM
Golf is not a sport.

Um, yeah it is.

Pokster
09-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Um, yeah it is.

Agreed, one of the few sports where competitors call fouls on themselves (with only a few exceptions...VJ and Monty, I'm looking at you)

Sir C
09-27-2016, 08:30 AM
Um, yeah it is.

No it's not.

A sport is an athletic activity which involves physical contact and excludes bats, sticks and long trousers.

Don't moan at me. Them's just the rules.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Um, yeah it is.

Um, no. It's a game. It's only considered a sport because some people are making loads of money from it. It requires skill but not physical effort, therefore a game.

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Agreed, one of the few sports where competitors call fouls on themselves (with only a few exceptions...VJ and Monty, I'm looking at you)
Steady on - Monty is many things bit a cheat at golf is probably not one of them. Utter **** is fair enough

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Um, no. It's a game. It's only considered a sport because some people are making loads of money from it. It requires skill but not physical effort, therefore a game.

Of course it requires physical effort - it isn't just skill that propels the ball 300 yards is it?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 08:39 AM
So does ludo or computer gaming then.

Pokster
09-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Steady on - Monty is many things bit a cheat at golf is probably not one of them. Utter **** is fair enough

Look up his very strange placing of a ball after a rain delay a few years ago

Pokster
09-27-2016, 08:45 AM

To hit a ball 300 yards requires a hell of a lot of physical effort

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 08:48 AM
So does ludo or computer gaming then.

Way to completely avoid the point. You provided a definition, m. Can you explain how there is no physical effort then involved in propelling a ball 300 yards and why players who aren't using any physical effort often injure themselves doing this non-physical thing?

Sir C
09-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Way to completely avoid the point. You provided a definition, m. Can you explain how there is no physical effort then involved in propelling a ball 300 yards and why players who aren't using any physical effort often injure themselves doing this non-physical thing?

To be fair, it takes physical effort to change a light bulb; surely what is at issue is the degree of physcial effort involved?

People also injure themselves changing a bulb; that doesn't define bulb-changing as a sport.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 08:54 AM
I was following your remark. It isn't competitive, you're basically playing against yourself. Players injuring themselves happens because people who practice golf are often so unfit they could injure themselves walking down a step.

Sex requires a lot of effort, it isn't a sport. There is more than one criteria. But a game which involves hitting a ball with a stick, alone, into a hole and walking or being driven to the next hole is not for me a sport. It may have acquired the trappings of a sport, in order to make people part with their hard-earned cash, but it isn't. It is a glorified game.

Burney
09-27-2016, 08:54 AM

Obviously, there's physical effort. What there isn't is athleticism. And that's why it's a game rather than a sport. Like darts or snooker, it's highly skilled, but non-athletic.

Burney
09-27-2016, 08:55 AM
I was following your remark. It isn't competitive, you're basically playing against yourself. Players injuring themselves happens because people who practice golf are often so unfit they could injure themselves walking down a step.

Sex requires a lot of effort, it isn't a sport. There is more than one criteria. But a game which involves hitting a ball with a stick, alone, into a hole and walking or being driven to the next hole is not for me a sport. It may have acquired the trappings of a sport, in order to make people part with their hard-earned cash, but it isn't. It is a glorified game.

'Sex requires a lot of effort'. There speaks a middle-aged man. :hehe:

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 08:57 AM
'Sex requires a lot of effort'. There speaks a middle-aged man. :hehe:

You'd be surprised.............

Pokster
09-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Sex requires a lot of effort, it isn't a sport.

I don't know, whoever comes first comes last

Pokster
09-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Obviously, there's physical effort. What there isn't is athleticism. And that's why it's a game rather than a sport. Like darts or snooker, it's highly skilled, but non-athletic.

Does being a spin bowler require more physical effort than playing golf?

SWv2
09-27-2016, 09:02 AM
I quite enjoy the Ryder Cup, or at least the last day of it, though on reflection the whooping and hollering of the dumb as f**k Americans is very annoying and off putting.

Greatest sporting event known to mankind I am less sure about as that is quite clearly the football World Cup.

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:18 AM

Or a keeper in football?

Sir C
09-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Or a keeper in football?

:hehe: Have you ever seen a football match, w?

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:22 AM
I quite enjoy the Ryder Cup, or at least the last day of it, though on reflection the whooping and hollering of the dumb as f**k Americans is very annoying and off putting.

Greatest sporting event known to mankind I am less sure about as that is quite clearly the football World Cup.

I'm struggling to remember the last time there was a WC final that was anywhere nearly as enthralling as the Ryder Cup. Mostly because neither team wants to lose so the game is boring as f*ck.

In terms of the passion of the players and the fans, how closely contested it is, the pleasure of seeing a sport played at its highest level and the - dare I say it - theatre involved in the event, the Ryder Cup has no equal, I think.

It is utterly brilliant.

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:23 AM
:hehe: Have you ever seen a football match, w?

Um, yes. One or two. And in almost all of them the keeper barely moves enough to break a sweat.

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 09:30 AM

Struggling to find the word athleticism in the definition of the word sport

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

SWv2
09-27-2016, 09:34 AM
I'm struggling to remember the last time there was a WC final that was anywhere nearly as enthralling as the Ryder Cup. Mostly because neither team wants to lose so the game is boring as f*ck.

In terms of the passion of the players and the fans, how closely contested it is, the pleasure of seeing a sport played at its highest level and the - dare I say it - theatre involved in the event, the Ryder Cup has no equal, I think.

It is utterly brilliant.

If your criteria for judgement is “the passion of the players and the fans” or “the pleasure of seeing a sport played at its highest level” then one could argue that the All Ireland Hurling or Football finals would rival the Ryder Cup however it is not of course an enormous global event so it would be dismissed.

As I said earlier I quite enjoy the last day singles, less so the Thursday to Saturday games as I tend to miss them what with being in work and Saturday I tend to be doing ****.

I have genuinely no interest in who wins the RC so this could be a factor in my viewing of the event.

Last thing when I said the World Cup I meant the entire 4 weeks schedule, games on television 6 days a week, not just the final which itself as you said can sometimes be a tense affair, though normally enjoyable all the same.

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:34 AM

A spin bowler who also has to bat and field? Absolutely, yes.

SWv2
09-27-2016, 09:35 AM
"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment".

Pub quiz???

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:36 AM

It is utterly brilliant.

I like the Ryder Cup. I also like Snooker and darts - all of them are exciting tests of nerve and skill. Not sports, though.

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 09:36 AM

Poor old Samit Patel

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:37 AM

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Monopoly is a game. Golf, like football, is a sport, albeit one that requires less physical effort than football, unless you're a keeper.

Athleticism strikes me as having many components - speed, strength, quickness, agility, flexibility, coordination and probably a few more. Given this, why is it obvious that there is more athleticism in chasing and kicking a football than there is in standing still, rotating your body, translating that rotation into the force required to hit a ball 300 yards while at the same time controlling the club face so that it strikes the ball in the exact alignment required to send it in the required direction?

Why is one of those athleticism and not the other?

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:38 AM

Basically, if it doesn't involve running, it's not a sport.

SWv2
09-27-2016, 09:40 AM

Sometimes, in my experience, a golfer may run after hitting the ball in an effort to see where the **** it went.

Sir C
09-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Monopoly is a game. Golf, like football, is a sport, albeit one that requires less physical effort than football, unless you're a keeper.

Athleticism strikes me as having many components - speed, strength, quickness, agility, flexibility, coordination and probably a few more. Given this, why is it obvious that there is more athleticism in chasing and kicking a football than there is in standing still, rotating your body, translating that rotation into the force required to hit a ball 300 yards while at the same time controlling the club face so that it strikes the ball in the exact alignment required to send it in the required direction?

Why is one of those athleticism and not that other?

This is athleticism:

This is hitting a ball with a stick:

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:41 AM

Volleyball? Weightlifting? (Ice) Hockey? Swimming?

I know you're taking the piss, of course :-)

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:41 AM
Poor old Samit Patel

Jan Molby? Mickey Quinn? There are always outliers.

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:42 AM
This is athleticism:

This is hitting a ball with a stick:

This is you talking a load of sh1t, but it helps us pass the day, doesn't it? :-)

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Not a bad definition, of course it excludes golf.

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Volleyball? Weightlifting? (Ice) Hockey? Swimming?

I know you're taking the piss, of course :-)

Volleyball - girl's game that does actually require moving at speed
Weightlifting - not a sport, simply a test of strength
Swimming - Running in water
Ice Hockey - Running on ice

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Not a bad definition, of course it excludes golf.

Um, no it doesn't. In fact, it defines it exactly.

Pokster
09-27-2016, 09:46 AM

So water Polo isn't a sport? Requires more physical activity than Cricket

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:47 AM
Volleyball - girl's game that does actually require moving at speed
Weightlifting - not a sport, simply a test of strength
Swimming - Running in water
Ice Hockey - Running on ice

:hehe:

I wonder what % of time in a test match Shane Warne spent running? At a guess, I would be surprised if it was more than 1%

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Why is one of those athleticism and not the other?

That's just technique, not athleticism. The ball isn't moving, so there is no issue of controlling it, t's just hitting a stationary object - no different to snooker.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 09:49 AM
Um, no it doesn't. In fact, it defines it exactly.

Um no. There is no exertion in golf. Not more than, say, lifting a suitcase. And I'm not seeing anyone advocating that as a sport.

Burney
So water Polo isn't a sport? Requires more physical activity than Cricket

See my previous answer re: swimming

Pokster

I wonder what % of time in a test match Shane Warne spent running? At a guess, I would be surprised if it was more than 1%

Walked into bowl, in Tests most runs they score they jog between the wickets.... in fact b has just said 20/20 is more of a sport than Test Matches

Pokster
09-27-2016, 09:50 AM
See my previous answer re: swimming

So in other words you are talking ****e? Boxing is a game then rather than a sport? Running athletics is a sport but throwing is a game?

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:52 AM
That's just technique, not athleticism. The ball isn't moving, so there is no issue of controlling it, t's just hitting a stationary object - no different to snooker.

By any sensible definition of athleticism that is nonsense. The quicker and more flexible the athlete, the more he can rotate his body, the more quickly he can bring the club through impact, the more force he can generate and therefore the farther he can hit it.

That is not technique, that is athleticism. You seem to think athleticism means running fast and nothing else. And you're wrong.

Pokster
09-27-2016, 09:54 AM

JKust the hitting it 300 yards requires physical effort. And no issue in controlling it?

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:55 AM

An awful lot more than any golfer.

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Um no. There is no exertion in golf. Not more than, say, lifting a suitcase. And I'm not seeing anyone advocating that as a sport.

It's been pointed out to you that hitting a ball over 300 yards while standing still takes a considerable amount of exertion. And a golfer will typically take 40+ swings per round depending on how good he is.

Why you can't quite understand that this clearly falls into the realm of 'exertion' is beyond me.

Burney
09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Walked into bowl, in Tests most runs they score they jog between the wickets.... in fact b has just said 20/20 is more of a sport than Test Matches

Where have I said that the amount of running makes one thing more of a sport than another?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-27-2016, 09:57 AM
It's been pointed out to you that hitting a ball over 300 yards while standing still takes a considerable amount of exertion. And a golfer will typically take 40+ swings per round depending on how good he is.

Why you can't quite understand that this clearly falls into the realm of 'exertion' is beyond me.

So does lifting a suitcase. Or throwing ducks and drakes.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/13772-golfing-isnt-a-sport-and-golfers-arent-athletes

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 09:59 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/13772-golfing-isnt-a-sport-and-golfers-arent-athletes

The Bleacher Report - game over Mo. Resorting to that is just surrendering. ty m

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 10:00 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning

10 characters

Burney
09-27-2016, 10:01 AM
By any sensible definition of athleticism that is nonsense. The quicker and more flexible the athlete, the more he can rotate his body, the more quickly he can bring the club through impact, the more force he can generate and therefore the farther he can hit it.

That is not technique, that is athleticism. You seem to think athleticism means running fast and nothing else. And you're wrong.

No. Athleticism does not just mean running fast. It means mobility, fitness, flexibility, top hand/eye co-ordination, great spacial awareness, balance and the ability to react quickly and appropriately to rapidly changing physical circumstances.

This is not an athlete.

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 10:05 AM
No. Athleticism does not just mean running fast. It means mobility, fitness, flexibility, top hand/eye co-ordination, great spacial awareness, balance and the ability to react quickly and appropriately to rapidly changing physical circumstances.

This is not an athlete.

One of the best cricketers of all time, apparently

redgunamo
09-27-2016, 10:05 AM

This is not an athlete.

Form follows function though, ain't it.

Burney
09-27-2016, 10:21 AM
One of the best cricketers of all time, apparently

Yes, Warne had periods where he was overweight. He could do this, though.

He also regularly faced a hard ball coming at him at 90mph scored over 3,000 runs, bowled over 40,000 balls, took 700 wickets and 125 catches at Test level alone.

Golfers, meanwhile - even the best of them - just hit a stationary object.

Ash
09-27-2016, 01:10 PM

Good areas, Poks, tbf.

Ash
09-27-2016, 01:11 PM

:watson:

http://img.skysports.com/13/04/768x432/165012893_2313518049001_video-still-for-video-2313573035001.jpg?20160323143409

Burney
09-27-2016, 01:17 PM
:watson:

http://img.skysports.com/13/04/768x432/165012893_2313518049001_video-still-for-video-2313573035001.jpg?20160323143409

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY6fRWTPJCw

Luis Anaconda
09-27-2016, 01:34 PM

But equally size does not necessarily discount athleticism, b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2ca4oeJd8

Ash
09-27-2016, 02:05 PM

"AUS A"

This appears to be a video from the training ground, Burnley. Also, swallows and summers and all that.

Burney
09-27-2016, 02:14 PM
"AUS A"

This appears to be a video from the training ground, Burnley. Also, swallows and summers and all that.

Show me a golfer doing anything anywhere near that athletic is my point.

Pokster
09-27-2016, 02:18 PM

Could show you Langer climbing a tree... but not sure that counts... hitting a ball (stationary or not) 250 yards is quite athletic imho.

Pointless anyway as this is only using your (to be sport you have to run) reasoning As I mentioned earlier this counts out boxing as a sport, which is ridicules

Burney
09-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Could show you Langer climbing a tree... but not sure that counts... hitting a ball (stationary or not) 250 yards is quite athletic imho.

Pointless anyway as this is only using your (to be sport you have to run) reasoning As I mentioned earlier this counts out boxing as a sport, which is ridicules

It was a rule of thumb. Boxing involves moving the entire body quickly and continuously. Golf is essentially static (in that the player does not shift position) and involves a single kinetic act that takes a second or so to complete. In that, as I say, it's more akin to snooker or darts than it is to sports like cricket, football or even tennis.

This is nothing to do with how much I like the game, btw. I like to occasionally play golf and watch it happily. That's more than I can say for tennis, which I don't like, but do think is a sport while golf is not.

Ash
09-27-2016, 02:31 PM

Oh, I'm not defending golfers' athleticism. Just saw a context for bantering off Monty P's all-round game.

Burney
09-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Oh, I'm not defending golfers' athleticism. Just saw a context for bantering off Monty P's all-round game.

Having now met the chap twice, I feel rather defensive of poor old Monts. Could have done with being an Allan, really. At least it would have kept him off the drink. :-(

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Yes, Warne had periods where he was overweight. He could do this, though.

He also regularly faced a hard ball coming at him at 90mph scored over 3,000 runs, bowled over 40,000 balls, took 700 wickets and 125 catches at Test level alone.

Golfers, meanwhile - even the best of them - just hit a stationary object.

I would suggest that to reduce hitting a golf ball the required distance and the required line over and over again to 'just hit a stationary object' is so misleading that you either have a bias or know nothing about golf.

Burney
09-27-2016, 03:59 PM
I would suggest that to reduce hitting a golf ball the required distance and the required line over and over again to 'just hit a stationary object' is so misleading that you either have a bias or know nothing about golf.

I'm not saying it's not highly skilful, simply that there's little or no athleticism involved. :shrug:

World's End Stella
09-27-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm not saying it's not highly skilful, simply that there's little or no athleticism involved. :shrug:

Well this has been reduced down to an argument about what constitutes athleticism. You seem to have a very narrow definition.

In order to be a competitive golfer you need outstanding hand eye coordination, balance, flexibility and quickness in order to generate the required club head speed and keep the club face square to the ball.

I think most people would think that all of those attributes constitute part of athleticism. And anyone who doesn't consider golf a sport is in the very small minority, I think.

Lar d'Arse
09-27-2016, 04:26 PM
You hardly expect people on here to agree with something you have a view on wes do you?

Boxing24
12-14-2016, 07:53 AM
You hardly expect people on here to agree with something you have a view on wes do you?

we are agee with u