PDA

View Full Version : What are people planning for dinner?

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:09 PM
I was thinking I might knock up some fish tacos.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:11 PM
I was thinking I might knock up some fish tacos.

Prawn and pea risotto. Although I might forgo the peas and fling some tarragon at it instead.

Either way, no Parmesan.

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Prawn and pea risotto. Although I might forgo the peas and fling some tarragon at it instead.

Either way, no Parmesan.

Well of course not. What kind of animal would put Parmesan in a fish risotto or on a fish pasta?

Careful with tarragon, though. All too easy to make it taste like aniseed balls.

Ash
09-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Salmon blinis for starters, and maybe a Shashlik or Pozharsky cutlet for main. Or Beef Stroganoff.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Well of course not. What kind of animal would put Parmesan in a fish risotto or on a fish pasta?

Careful with tarragon, though. All too easy to make it taste like aniseed balls.

It is amazing how many do. Indeed, it is amazing how many professional chefs advise the use of parmesan with fish dishes, for all love. Monsters.

Your fish tacos intrigue me. Will they be a sort of spicy fish stew served within those crisp half-moon taco things which are like Doritos?

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:17 PM
Salmon blinis for starters, and maybe a Shashlik or Pozharsky cutlet for main. Or Beef Stroganoff.

Are you going out for a Russian, a? Will there be Borscht?

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:19 PM

Mrs A is certainly looking after you these days. wd mrs a.

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:21 PM
It is amazing how many do. Indeed, it is amazing how many professional chefs advise the use of parmesan with fish dishes, for all love. Monsters.

Your fish tacos intrigue me. Will they be a sort of spicy fish stew served within those crisp half-moon taco things which are like Doritos?

The only thing it's acceptable to grate onto a fish pasta is bottarga and that, my friend, is a FACT.

My fish tacos are fish pieces lightly dusted with flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika, deep fried and served in corn tortillas with pico di gallo, red cabbage, lime juice and sour cream coleslaw and guacamole. Rather yummy.

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Mrs A is certainly looking after you these days. wd mrs a.

Bit fancy having starters on a Friday night imo. A is clearly quite the sophisticate. :nod:

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:23 PM
The only thing it's acceptable to grate onto a fish pasta is bottarga and that, my friend, is a FACT.

My fish tacos are fish pieces lightly dusted with flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika, deep fried and served in corn tortillas with pico di gallo, red cabbage, lime juice and sour cream coleslaw and guacamole. Rather yummy.

Very good, carry on.

Ash
09-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Are you going out for a Russian, a? Will there be Borscht?

Yep. And if they have run out of salmon there may well be Borscht.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Bit fancy having starters on a Friday night imo. A is clearly quite the sophisticate. :nod:

:nod: Mrs a must be at home working on her batter as we speak. The woman is clearly devoted to him. And who wouldn't be?

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:29 PM
:nod: Mrs a must be at home working on her batter as we speak. The woman is clearly devoted to him. And who wouldn't be?

I've never made a blini myself. I like them and all, but can't be arsed making them myself.

I am going to treat your clear attempt to be mucky with the contempt it deserves, since I am better than that.

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Yep. And if they have run out of salmon there may well be Borscht.

I like borscht, but it should only be consumed whilst wearing a sou'wester in the bath, since any fabric it touches is ruined forever.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:32 PM
I've never made a blini myself. I like them and all, but can't be arsed making them myself.

I am going to treat your clear attempt to be mucky with the contempt it deserves, since I am better than that.

I don't really understand blinis; caviar is best taken, of course, from the back of the hand.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:34 PM
I like borscht, but it should only be consumed whilst wearing a sou'wester in the bath, since any fabric it touches is ruined forever.

I once ate the authentic borscht each day on a 5 day trip to St Petersburg, because it was served as a matter of course everywhere I went for dinner. It was absolutely foul every single time. It must be one of those things which we have adjusted to suit our palate.

Ash
09-23-2016, 01:34 PM

Trojka (RIP) in Primrose Hill used to do a clear borscht. It was delicious.

Ash
09-23-2016, 01:36 PM
I don't really understand blinis; caviar is best taken, of course, from the back of the hand.

I'm not big on the old fish jam tbh. Gimme blinis with smoked salmon, smetana, cucumber, lemon :cloud9:

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm not big on the old fish jam tbh. Gimme blinis with smoked salmon, smetana, cucumber, lemon :cloud9:

I haven't tried them this way, a, but I certainly shall now.

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Caviar is something I really wouldn't give you tuppence for, if I'm honest. And I'm not licking the back of your hand for any money.

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Trojka (RIP) in Primrose Hill used to do a clear borscht. It was delicious.

Surely clear borscht isn't borscht? Doesn't borscht have to have beetroot in it?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Icelandic Horse Sausage with mash.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Caviar is something I really wouldn't give you tuppence for, if I'm honest. And I'm not licking the back of your hand for any money.

Well I wouldn't give you any for tuppence, it costs a ****ing fortune.

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Icelandic Horse Sausage with mash.

Mum's gone to Iceland, eh? :-(

Ash
09-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Surely clear borscht isn't borscht? Doesn't borscht have to have beetroot in it?

I dunno how they did it. Maybe they lied. Maybe they found a way of taking the colour out. Perhaps there are white beets somewhere.

http://jameskim.me/kitchen/2013/01/18/barszcz-czysty-czerwony-clear-red-borscht/

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Well I wouldn't give you any for tuppence, it costs a ****ing fortune.

Well that's fúcking nice, that is. Won't even share your caviar with me. :shakehead:

Burney
09-23-2016, 01:54 PM
I dunno how they did it. Maybe they lied. Maybe they found a way of taking the colour out. Perhaps there are white beets somewhere.

http://jameskim.me/kitchen/2013/01/18/barszcz-czysty-czerwony-clear-red-borscht/

Actually, there are non-red beets. I've grown them. Yellow ones, they were. Very nice roasted.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Mum's gone to Iceland, eh? :-(

No. I did.

Burney
09-23-2016, 02:04 PM
No. I did.

And you brought back horse sausage? Is that legal?

Sir C
09-23-2016, 02:07 PM
No. I did.

How can they have horses in Iceland? Don't horses need, you know, grass? What do they have, lava eating horses?

A crocodile wouldn't swallow this sttory, m.

Burney
09-23-2016, 02:09 PM
How can they have horses in Iceland? Don't horses need, you know, grass? What do they have, lava eating horses?

A crocodile wouldn't swallow this sttory, m.

I never like the look of that horse sausage they sell to poor people in French markets. It's the red casing I find particularly off-putting.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-23-2016, 03:14 PM
And you brought back horse sausage? Is that legal?

I didn't ask. I'm a gourmet tourist I always bring back as much food as I can. But it's all for personal consumption so unless I acquire a taste for Colorado potato beetles I should be ok.

My guess is horse is the second most popular meat in Iceland, well behind lamb. They have loads of horses there, not specifically bred for meat but used for it.