PDA

View Full Version : I see America continues to go absolutely fùcking mental

Burney
09-23-2016, 09:58 AM
We now appear to have Black Lives Matter saying that it doesn't matter that a chap was definitely carrying a gun and was shot by a black officer, it was still racist and wrong.

Increasingly it seems to me that it's not so much the manner of their policing these people object to as the fact that they are policed at all. :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 10:13 AM
We now appear to have Black Lives Matter saying that it doesn't matter that a chap was definitely carrying a gun and was shot by a black officer, it was still racist and wrong.

Increasingly it seems to me that it's not so much the manner of their policing these people object to as the fact that they are policed at all. :shrug:
I reckon a 49 state version of the Hunger Games would sort it all out, b - I'd leave Hawaii out of it. Maybe a trip there as a prize

Sir C
09-23-2016, 10:18 AM

The whole world's gone fúcking mental, if you ask me.

We need a fúck off war to give everyone something to think about. The cause of all the current nonsenses is solipsism, I'm convinced of it. Navel-gazing, desperately seeking offence and proof of oppression - spending your whole life seeking to define yourself by your victimhood is going to induce mental illness. Look at the Irish.

Stick the fúckers in a trench under an artillery barrage. If it doesn't cure them, at least it will kill them.

Burney
09-23-2016, 10:24 AM
The whole world's gone fúcking mental, if you ask me.

We need a fúck off war to give everyone something to think about. The cause of all the current nonsenses is solipsism, I'm convinced of it. Navel-gazing, desperately seeking offence and proof of oppression - spending your whole life seeking to define yourself by your victimhood is going to induce mental illness. Look at the Irish.

Stick the fúckers in a trench under an artillery barrage. If it doesn't cure them, at least it will kill them.

Well the US is particularly insane since solipsism is sort of built into their constitution with the whole 'pursuit of happiness' rubbish. The whole rot set in when people started to think that happiness was something to which they were entitled. This is why I get angry when people point to the US Constitution as though it were something to be emulated. It's not, it's childish rubbish.

World's End Stella
09-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Well the US is particularly insane since solipsism is sort of built into their constitution with the whole 'pursuit of happiness' rubbish. The whole rot set in when people started to think that happiness was something to which they were entitled. This is why I get angry when people point to the US Constitution as though it were something to be emulated. It's not, it's childish rubbish.

They seem to have done awfully well out of it, and so have we. For all its faults, the US is clearly the world's dominant player both financially and economically.

Ash
09-23-2016, 10:33 AM
I reckon a 49 state version of the Hunger Games would sort it all out, b - I'd leave Hawaii out of it. Maybe a trip there as a prize

Threadjack: Compton :-(

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 10:35 AM
They seem to have done awfully well out of it, and so have we. For all its faults, the US is clearly the world's dominant player both financially and economically.

Yes. Greatest ****ing country in the world*, as the man said.

*Presumably he also meant to add "in its weight division."

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 10:36 AM

That's in Berkshire, A. Not America.

Burney
09-23-2016, 10:37 AM

What's that got to do with anything? Their constitution is still childish rubbish and their slavish devotion to it lies at the heart of many of their biggest problems.

SWv2
09-23-2016, 10:38 AM

Threadjack2:

Watched a documentary last evening on the 70s musical phenomenon of Pub Rock which included some old but quality footage of The Stranglers.
Obviously lots of reference to Feelgoods, Kilburns etc. Very good if you have not already seen it.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 10:40 AM
That's in Berkshire, A. Not America.

I think he means Compton Abbas, r. A pearl of an airfield, set within the rolling hills of Dorset, in an area of outstanding natural beauty; close by lies Shaftesbury, where the Hovis advert was filmed.

I've had some high old times around Compton Abbas, I can tell you, including a conversation with a monkey, a memorable mixed grill, and very nearly crashing an AA5 into some trees.

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 10:41 AM
What's that got to do with anything? Their constitution is still childish rubbish and their slavish devotion to it lies at the heart of many of their biggest problems.

I think it's that, despite this, they do do alright. So their biggest problems cannot actually be that big, compared to others'.

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I think he means Compton Abbas, r. A pearl of an airfield, set within the rolling hills of Dorset, in an area of outstanding natural beauty; close by lies Shaftesbury, where the Hovis advert was filmed.

I've had some high old times around Compton Abbas, I can tell you, including a conversation with a monkey, a memorable mixed grill, and very nearly crashing an AA5 into some trees.

Salisbury Plain? Nobody said anything to me about a mixed grill :-(

Burney
09-23-2016, 10:47 AM
I think it's that, despite this, they do do alright. So their biggest problems cannot actually be that big, compared to others'.

I can't pretend it's a country I'd ever want to live in. It's simply too alien to me. As I've said before, I never feel more European than when I'm in the states.

Rich
09-23-2016, 10:50 AM

This is where I fly from, Sir C. Next time you're about you must pay a visit to either The Museum Inn in Farnham or The King John in Tollard Royal. Two lovely pubs that I often frequent after going flying.

http://www.museuminn.co.uk/

http://kingjohninn.co.uk/

Sir C
09-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Salisbury Plain? Nobody said anything to me about a mixed grill :-(

I fear that the mixed grill has disappeared from our tables, r. Back in the day, every self-respecting pub with rooms would offer steak and chips, fish and chips, or a mixed grill. With chips.

These days you're going to be assaulted with artisan scotch egg salads and quinoa :-(

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 10:52 AM
I can't pretend it's a country I'd ever want to live in. It's simply too alien to me. As I've said before, I never feel more European than when I'm in the states.

The trick is to live there like an American, while reserving the right to leave like an Englishman.

Although, in fairness, that probably goes for almost anywhere :-\

Sir C
09-23-2016, 10:53 AM
The trick is to live there like an American, while reserving the right to leave like an Englishman.

They know not of cheese, of course.

Burney
09-23-2016, 10:55 AM
I fear that the mixed grill has disappeared from our tables, r. Back in the day, every self-respecting pub with rooms would offer steak and chips, fish and chips, or a mixed grill. With chips.

These days you're going to be assaulted with artisan scotch egg salads and quinoa :-(

I had one in a Wetherspoons a few years ago that saved my life.

Sir C
09-23-2016, 10:55 AM
This is where I fly from, Sir C. Next time you're about you must pay a visit to either The Museum Inn in Farnham or The King John in Tollard Royal. Two lovely pubs that I often frequent after going flying.

http://www.museuminn.co.uk/

http://kingjohninn.co.uk/

I quite fancy a weekend in Shaftesbury, actually. Haven't been for years.

The chief flying instructor at Compton was, up until around 2000, a grzzled old gentleman who had flown DC3s on numerous supply drops over Arnhem. To my great shame I cannot remember his name.

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 10:58 AM
They know not of cheese, of course.

Get plenty of that sort of thing at home. I don't go to America for the cheese.

Marble Jack, Pinconning and Red Hawk are fine. From California mostly, I think.

Burney
09-23-2016, 11:01 AM

I've had good times in the states and known some very nice Americans. However, there are things about the place to which I can simply never reconcile myself. Probably the most problematic of which is a fundamental seriousness and sincerity I find utterly ghastly.

Rich
09-23-2016, 11:01 AM
I quite fancy a weekend in Shaftesbury, actually. Haven't been for years.

The chief flying instructor at Compton was, up until around 2000, a grzzled old gentleman who had flown DC3s on numerous supply drops over Arnhem. To my great shame I cannot remember his name.

Good boozer called The Mitre in Shaftesbury as well, as it happens. Quite unlike the others but enjoyable all the same. (I fear I'm beginning to sound like Nicosia :-( )

Dave Farrow teaches me but he's an ex BA captain. He's been there for quite some time so your paths may have crossed.

Burney
09-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Good boozer called The Mitre in Shaftesbury as well, as it happens. Quite unlike the others but enjoyable all the same. (I fear I'm beginning to sound like Nicosia :-( )

Dave Farrow teaches me but he's an ex BA captain. He's been there for quite some time so your paths may have crossed.

'Boozer'? Have you been watching re-runs of 'Minder', r?

SWv2

Monasterboice Inn on the old Dublin Road. Was a staple back in the day (when the old Dublin Road was simply the Dublin Road and as such would be used).

Mixed Grill €17.00

Consisting of lamb cutlet, 2 slices of bacon, sausages, puddings, grilled tomatoes and fried egg.

Clearly you would also order a side of chips, mash or maybe both if returning from a big game at Croke Park and you’d had a few.

Luis Anaconda

Gubbins though :) Quite a talent we have there.

Burney
09-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Monasterboice Inn on the old Dublin Road. Was a staple back in the day (when the old Dublin Road was simply the Dublin Road and as such would be used).

Mixed Grill €17.00

Consisting of lamb cutlet, 2 slices of bacon, sausages, puddings, grilled tomatoes and fried egg.

Clearly you would also order a side of chips, mash or maybe both if returning from a big game at Croke Park and you’d had a few.

Well now of course, we may find ourselves in a discussion of what should be in a mixed grill. I seem to remember that back in the day they would always include a bit of offal. And, of course, many think chicken should be involved. And mushrooms. What of onion rings?

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Well now of course, we may find ourselves in a discussion of what should be in a mixed grill. I seem to remember that back in the day they would always include a bit of offal. And, of course, many think chicken should be involved. And mushrooms. What of onion rings?

Only Mixed grills I've had in recent times have been tandoori ones. There is an excellent Indian I go to which does a fantastic one. Does sit rather heavy in the stomach though

Burney
09-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Only Mixed grills I've had in recent times have been tandoori ones. There is an excellent Indian I go to which does a fantastic one. Does sit rather heavy in the stomach though

They can be good, although I was taken aback to try one from a takeaway once and to discover what I think and hope was rabbit in it.

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 11:15 AM
They can be good, although I was taken aback to try one from a takeaway once and to discover what I think and hope was rabbit in it.
Better than finding a hare in your soup I suppose :cooper:

SWv2
09-23-2016, 11:16 AM

Cannot ever recall chicken being a part of the offering, maybe a bit of liver to tick your offal box but largely frowned upon these days is it not?

Mushrooms perhaps but given they have already given you a tomato I suspect they don’t want to overdo the meal in case they attract the vegetarian population of Co Louth.

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Have the Indians there sworn some sort of sacred oath against washing your food down with lots of beer then :-(

Sir C
09-23-2016, 11:17 AM

Mixed Grill €17.00

No steak? I'd expect steak.

Burney
09-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Cannot ever recall chicken being a part of the offering, maybe a bit of liver to tick your offal box but largely frowned upon these days is it not?

Mushrooms perhaps but given they have already given you a tomato I suspect they don’t want to overdo the meal in case they attract the vegetarian population of Co Louth.

A chicken breast seems to be standard now. God knows why, since it's the blandest and most pointless piece of meat on earth. Normally you also get a tiny steak, a gammon steak, a lamb cutlet and a sausage. Peas usually appear as well. Of course you are fortunate in getting black and white puddings, so it's fair that you'll lose out in other areas.

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Have the Indians there sworn some sort of sacred oath against washing your food down with lots of beer then :-(
God no - proper beer as well. But this is also usually after an afternoon in the pub

Burney
09-23-2016, 11:24 AM
God no - proper beer as well. But this is also usually after an afternoon in the pub

Actually, I had a lager the other day that was very pleasant. It was given to me on a stand at an exhibition, so it's possible that it tasted better due to being slightly illicit, but it was actually very good. It was Meantime's London Lager. Worth a try.

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 11:27 AM

Actually, I had a lager the other day that was very pleasant. It was given to me on a stand at an exhibition, so it's possible that it tasted better due to being slightly illicit, but it was actually very good. It was Meantime's London Lager. Worth a try.
Meantime is good - even have its pale ale on tap in a bar here. Not the cheapest, mind

SWv2
09-23-2016, 11:34 AM
No steak? I'd expect steak.

I suspect a) you go to more up market places than I do and b) look upon food in a pub differently to I do, to you a pleasure, to me a necessity.

I suspect you are also the type to drink coffee in a pub and pay by card.

In summary, a small step up from a wrong ‘un.

Burney
09-23-2016, 11:38 AM
I suspect a) you go to more up market places than I do and b) look upon food in a pub differently to I do, to you a pleasure, to me a necessity.

I suspect you are also the type to drink coffee in a pub and pay by card.

In summary, a small step up from a wrong ‘un.

Wetherspoons is not upmarket by any stretch of the imagination, but its mixed grill includes 'Gammon, pork loin, rump steak, lamb, two sausages, fried free-range egg, six beer-battered onion rings'.

SWv2
09-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Wetherspoons is not upmarket by any stretch of the imagination, but its mixed grill includes 'Gammon, pork loin, rump steak, lamb, two sausages, fried free-range egg, six beer-battered onion rings'.

I stand corrected on the steak issue though not personally something I associate with the meal. It appears that each establishment puts their own twist on the platter.

Other comments I stand by.

redgunamo
09-23-2016, 11:47 AM
I've had good times in the states and known some very nice Americans. However, there are things about the place to which I can simply never reconcile myself. Probably the most problematic of which is a fundamental seriousness and sincerity I find utterly ghastly.

Oh, I wouldn't notice that. The redgunamos are nothing if not serious and sincere.

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 12:08 PM

It is still quite upmarket for SW. They do have cutlery

Ash
09-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Threadjack2:

Watched a documentary last evening on the 70s musical phenomenon of Pub Rock which included some old but quality footage of The Stranglers.
Obviously lots of reference to Feelgoods, Kilburns etc. Very good if you have not already seen it.

Which channel? I may have seen it before. Did it suggest that the genre was born in the Tally Ho (RIP) in Kentish Town? And was the Stranglers footage either Something Better Change or Get a Grip in the Hope & Anchor?

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Which channel? I may have seen it before. Did it suggest that the genre was born in the Tally Ho (RIP) in Kentish Town? And was the Stranglers footage either Something Better Change or Get a Grip in the Hope & Anchor?

Where was the Tally Ho?

Ash
09-23-2016, 12:21 PM
Gubbins though :) Quite a talent we have there.

Yes, did you see Compton's dropped dollies?

Ash
09-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Where was the Tally Ho?

Opposite the Forum - Corner of Highgate Road / Fortess Road / Fortess Place. The block of flats there now is called Tally Ho place.

Luis Anaconda
09-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Opposite the Forum - Corner of Highgate Road / Fortess Road / Fortess Place. The block of flats there now is called Tally Ho place.

Of course - it rang a bell, probably for that reason

SWv2
09-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Get a Grip, not sure if it was the H&A but yes the reference to the Tally Ho was made on the back of Eggs Over Easy.

Not a spellbinding view as most of these shows require padding and filling, but very watchable and some fine footage of The Damned to boot.

SWv2
09-23-2016, 01:06 PM

Forum as in Town & Country.

What was / is the pub on the left from that junction as if heading back towards Boston Arms ... Archway direction?????

Ash
09-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Forum as in Town & Country.
Yes

What was / is the pub on the left from that junction as if heading back towards Boston Arms ... Archway direction?????

Do you mean The Junction on Fortess Road? Decent size garden.

SWv2
09-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Yes

Do you mean The Junction on Fortess Road? Decent size garden.

That's her. A favourite location for saturday afternoon drinking back when saturday afternoon drinking was all there was to do.

I seem to recall a glass area, kind of like a sun room if you will.

Ash
09-23-2016, 01:25 PM
That's her. A favourite location for saturday afternoon drinking back when saturday afternoon drinking was all there was to do.

I seem to recall a glass area, kind of like a sun room if you will.

Conservatory :nod:

redgunamo
09-25-2016, 01:07 PM
And good luck arguing Americans are more immature than the French, the Germans, the Italians, the Spanish and the Greeks and so on. Especially if you also wish to maintain that the Yanks are too serious and sincere as well.