PDA

View Full Version : What can I have for lunch?

Pat Vegas
09-21-2016, 12:45 PM
I am in the city.

bored of the choices. I want something unhealthy.

any hidden greasy spoons around near bank? or where I can buy some sort of ace burger.maybe a slice of pizza

EDIT: I want chips. that's what I want.

Pokster
09-21-2016, 12:59 PM
I am in the city.

any hidden greasy spoons around near bank? or where I can buy some sort of ace burger.maybe a slice of pizza

It's 1-45 man, it's almost tea time!

Monty92
09-21-2016, 01:06 PM
I am in the city.

Goodman, Hawksmoor - both within easy reach of Bank. Both will serve you chips.

Sir C
09-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Goodman, Hawksmoor - both within easy reach of Bank. Both will serve you chips.

It'sd ages since I've had dinner at Hawksmoor. The trouble is, it doesn't really work with the glw, does it? No woman wants to be presented with a fúck off lump of meat. (Except your mum, natch.)

I need to make a heterosexual male friend who will accompany me.

Ash
09-21-2016, 01:23 PM
I am in the city.

Plenty of pubs in The City will serve you burger and chips, I expect, Pat.

Pokster
09-21-2016, 01:24 PM
It'sd ages since I've had dinner at Hawksmoor. The trouble is, it doesn't really work with the glw, does it? No woman wants to be presented with a fúck off lump of meat. (Except your mum, natch.)

Counts out b then

Pokster
09-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Plenty of pubs in The City will serve you burger and chips, I expect, Pat.

At some stupid high price for a load of crap (well that's what it seemed like when I used to work there)

Sir C
09-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Counts out b then

You clearly know something to which I am not privy, p.

Ash
09-21-2016, 01:27 PM
At some stupid high price for a load of crap (well that's what it seemed like when I used to work there)

Absolutely textbook Pokster chip-pissing. :clap:

IUFG
09-21-2016, 01:30 PM
that fish and chip place near Liverpool Street station.

Vintage Salt. I think it is called.

Pokster
09-21-2016, 01:43 PM
You clearly know something to which I am not privy, p.

It's his cock obsession c, not natural for a hetrosexual

Monty92
09-21-2016, 01:48 PM

Yes, my missus talks a good game when it comes to steak, but I know full well she'd rather be in Ottolenghi eating aubergine and couscous.

On my last visit I put away a 900g Chateaubriand. Needless to say, I felt quite the man. :cloud9:

****, I need steak now :-(

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Pret's Italian chicken salad is my current lunch favourite.

I shall be attending Goodmans on Old Jewry next week with a chap of Yankee persuasion. We shall undoubtedly choose grain fed USDA steak although I'm told they are currently doing a quite exceptional Australian grain fed ribeye of some age.

With the creamed spinach on the side, possibly some truffle chips. And a rather expensive bottle of red, I hope.

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Hawksmoor, I'm led to believe, serves only British beef, is that correct?

Sir C
09-21-2016, 01:51 PM

I shall be attending Goodmans on Old Jewry next week with a chap of Yankee persuasion. We shall undoubtedly choose grain fed USDA steak although I'm told they are currently doing a quite exceptional Australian grain fed ribeye of some age.

With the creamed spinach on the side, possibly some truffle chips. And a rather expensive bottle of red, I hope.

I like my steak to have been raised on grass, as God intended.

You forgot the bearnaise as well.

Sir C
09-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Hawksmoor, I'm led to believe, serves only British beef, is that correct?

I believe so. I've certainly not noticed that dreadful American mush on the menu.

Pokster
09-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Absolutely textbook Pokster chip-pissing. :clap:

I thank you!

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 01:57 PM
I believe so. I've certainly not noticed that dreadful American mush on the menu.

:sigh: Grain fed beef is exceptional, although I'm open-minded enough to allow that people might prefer the British grass fed beef, no matter how bad it tastes.

I like to dip my chips in bearnaise, but would never have it near my steak. You see, grain fed beef is so tasty it doesn't need it. :-)

Pat Vegas

I like the Chicken Caesar roll.

Pat Vegas
It's 1-45 man, it's almost tea time!

my work day is later to overlap with the US.

I avoid both rush hours :cloud9:

Sir C
09-21-2016, 02:00 PM
:sigh: Grain fed beef is exceptional, although I'm open-minded enough to allow that people might prefer the British grass fed beef, no matter how bad it tastes.

I like to dip my chips in bearnaise, but would never have it near my steak. You see, grain fed beef is so tasty it doesn't need it. :-)

To be honest, I've enjoyed it when I've eaten in in the States, but I cannot bring myself to support the US economy by eating in in civilisation.

See also Australian wine. I refuse to support these evil regimes.

I draw the line at rejecting Russian caviar, naturally.

Monty92
09-21-2016, 02:03 PM

You're right about the sauce - good meat simply doesn't need it.

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 02:04 PM
To be honest, I've enjoyed it when I've eaten in in the States, but I cannot bring myself to support the US economy by eating in in civilisation.

See also Australian wine. I refuse to support these evil regimes.

I draw the line at rejecting Russian caviar, naturally.

Good man (see what I did there?)

Our bottle of red will definitely be French, and almost certainly Bordeaux. Hopefully a reasonably priced Margaux, which they did last time I looked.

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 02:06 PM

Yes, provided the steak is seasoned properly. This is where many go wrong but, in my experience, NY steakhouses rarely do. A good steak simply must have a nice layer of sea salt applied before cooking. It is the salty caramelised exterior combined with the beefy, bloody interior which is the magic.

Sir C
09-21-2016, 02:08 PM

Well, good meat doesn't need anything, does it? It doesn't need seasoning, or cooking, or resting. Yet we enhance it with the additions.

A steak without bearnaise is like your mum without KY; it's good, but it could be better.

Sir C
09-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Yes, my missus talks a good game when it comes to steak, but I know full well she'd rather be in Ottolenghi eating aubergine and couscous.

On my last visit I put away a 900g Chateaubriand. Needless to say, I felt quite the man. :cloud9:

****, I need steak now :-(

You did a 900g chateaubriand alone? My God, how long before you passed a stool?

Monty92
09-21-2016, 02:18 PM
You did a 900g chateaubriand alone? My God, how long before you passed a stool?

Minus the bone, we're probably talking something like 750g of actual meat, which shouldn't be beyond your average carnivorous heterosexual with a healthy appetite.

Sir C
09-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Minus the bone, we're probably talking something like 750g of actual meat, which shouldn't be beyond your average carnivorous heterosexual with a healthy appetite.

That's a pound and a half of meat, you maniac.

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 02:24 PM

Um, chateaubriand on the bone? You sure?

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 02:26 PM

Hmm fair enough, google indicates that such a thing does exist, not too sure why it does, but there we are.

Sir C
09-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Um, chateaubriand on the bone? You sure?

All muscles are attached to a bone somewhere, wes. Otherwise we'd be all floppy.

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 02:31 PM
All muscles are attached to a bone somewhere, wes. Otherwise we'd be all floppy.

Well yes, but the question is where? The whole point of roasting meat on the bone is that the bone imparts flavour to the meat. However, given where the fillet is, it barely touches the bone so I'm not surprised that I've never seen it served this way. Google images confirms this to be true.

So the question is why cook and serve it that way? I have to assume that steakhouses think that some of their customers are ignorant and tarty enough that they would order it this way for esthetic reasons and in the process the steakhouse can charge them extra for delivering nothing.

Monty92 is rickyg, right?

Sir C
09-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Well yes, but the question is where? The whole point of roasting meat on the bone is that the bone imparts flavour to the meat. However, given where the fillet is, it barely touches the bone so I'm not surprised that I've never seen it served this way. Google images confirms this to be true.

So the question is why cook and serve it that way? I have to assume that steakhouses think that some of their customers are ignorant and tarty enough that they would order it this way for esthetic reasons and in the process the steakhouse can charge them extra for delivering nothing.

Monty92 is rickyg, right?

Perhaps it just looks nice.

Anyway, I refuse to discuss steak any further without acknowledgement of the King of all steaks, the bistecca alla Fiorentina.

Yes, Rickyg is now a mature, polite young gentleman, a doting husband and father of two, and hasn't wished cancer on anyone in years.

Boring fúcker.

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Perhaps it just looks nice.

Anyway, I refuse to discuss steak any further without acknowledgement of the King of all steaks, the bistecca alla Fiorentina.

Yes, Rickyg is now a mature, polite young gentleman, a doting husband and father of two, and hasn't wished cancer on anyone in years.

Boring fúcker.

Netflix - Steak Revolution

Frenchie chaps scours the world for the best steak. Turns out some bloke in Spain gets his vote. I defy any man to watch it and not want to rush out to the nearest steakhouse/butcher and indulge.

World's End Stella
09-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Oh, and isn't steak Fiorentina just a really thick, grass fed Porterhouse steak that is grilled?

I've never had it, I confess.

Pat Vegas
09-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Oh, and isn't steak Fiorentina just a really thick, grass fed Porterhouse steak that is grilled?

When I worked for the Japanese we had complaints.
That they were cutting the steaks in half for the Japanese tourists.

Who by all counts only order the steak to take a photo with it.

Sir C
09-21-2016, 02:44 PM

You've never had it? I'm talking to a man who has never flown to Florence specifically for the fiorentina?

Take a long, hard look at yourself.