PDA

View Full Version : Another pen

Pat Vegas
09-20-2016, 08:04 PM
WD Perez....

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-20-2016, 09:14 PM
WD Perez....

Mad, isn't it? 2 pens last year, 5 this year before the end of the 3rd week of September.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-20-2016, 10:10 PM
Hopefully we'll get another on Saturday and we won't miss it.

09-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Hopefully we'll get another on Saturday and we won't miss it.

Seconded. That would be great. Santi can show Alexis and Ozil how it's done.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Love to see Xhaka take a penalty. With a run-up from the halfway line....

09-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Love to see Xhaka take a penalty. With a run-up from the halfway line....

True. I was worried when he had a short run up today. Even since Micky Thomas missed his in the 1988 Milk Cup final - he took two steps and tried to curl it into the top corner and the keeper got there - I've been wary. In the ECWC semi shoot out, Tony Adams ran from the half way line and just smashed it as hard as he could.

But LP was great today. 2 paces, made it clear which way he was gonna hit it, but backed himself to get it in the corner with enough pace.

Apparently that was what Le Tiss did in training. Told the keeper which way he was gonna put it. I think he only missed on in his career. No head games or changing his mind half way through. Cos hit it like our boy did tonight and it won't be saved by any keeper if he's starting centrally.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-20-2016, 10:34 PM
I hate short run-ups. That's why Alexis missed the other day, if the keeper holds his nerve it's almost impossible to score.

09-20-2016, 10:42 PM
I hate short run-ups. That's why Alexis missed the other day, if the keeper holds his nerve it's almost impossible to score.

That's why I was worried tonight. But he hit it perfectly.

Luis Anaconda
09-21-2016, 08:23 AM
True. I was worried when he had a short run up today. Even since Micky Thomas missed his in the 1988 Milk Cup final - he took two steps and tried to curl it into the top corner and the keeper got there - I've been wary. In the ECWC semi shoot out, Tony Adams ran from the half way line and just smashed it as hard as he could.

tbf you could tell he was nervous by how pale he looked when he stepped up to take it

Also we had three pens last season not two

PSRB
09-21-2016, 08:26 AM

I hate long run ups, virtually every pen where the taker starts his run up outside the box is missed - FACT!*

*In pretty much all the shoot outs I've watched

Sir C
09-21-2016, 08:27 AM
I hate long run ups, virtually every pen where the taker starts his run up outside the box is missed - FACT!*

Correct. And the only thing worse than a long run up is a straight run up.

Burney
09-21-2016, 08:31 AM

Yeah, but I hate really short run-ups as well

Burney
09-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Correct. And the only thing worse than a long run up is a straight run up.

How can you run up straight? Surely the likelihood of spazzing it just increases?

Sir C
09-21-2016, 08:34 AM
How can you run up straight? Surely the likelihood of spazzing it just increases?

Some morons do so and try to add some angle right at the end. Not only does it increase the chances of one 'spazzing it', it also looks inelegant.

Luis Anaconda
09-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Some morons do so and try to add some angle right at the end. Not only does it increase the chances of one 'spazzing it', it also looks inelegant.

Douglas Costa gets it right (I think he might signpost it a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXk3Mt0v5s4

Sir C
09-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Douglas Costa gets it right (I think he might signpost it a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXk3Mt0v5s4

Again with the inelegance :-(

Will no one think of the aesthetics, ffs?

redgunamo
09-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Penalty shootouts are no way to judge though because most of the players involved don't have any real form, they're not regular takers.

Luis Anaconda
09-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Penalty shootouts are no way to judge though because most of the players involved don't have any real form, they're not regular takers.
Some of them aren't even No 9s ffs

redgunamo
09-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Some of them aren't even No 9s ffs

Indeed.

I gather proper order was restored last night. Well done, Arsene, imo.