PDA

View Full Version : Jesus, Roy Chubby Brown must have toned down his gigs if Gazza gets done for this and

Monty92
09-19-2016, 10:28 AM
old Royston gets away scott free.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37406549

Sir C
09-19-2016, 10:31 AM

:shrug: First they came for Big Fat Ron and you all applauded, desperate to display your right on credentials.

Look where you've got us, you fúcking cretins.

SWv2
09-19-2016, 10:36 AM

The issue here is probably not the comment or joke by Gascoigne, whatever about the rights and wrongs of so-called racist jokes.

It’s the security guard who took offence and reported him.

One assumes the same guard would (if working at a Chubby Brown gig) be equally as offended and made numerous calls though I thought he was more known for sexism as opposed to racism.

Not knowing the full context of the comment it is difficult to say if perhaps the guard needs to cop himself on or if Gascoigne is in the wrong.

IUFG
09-19-2016, 10:42 AM
he's probably taking his employers to task as well, citing

Burton and Rhule v De Vere Hotels EAT

The EAT held that an employer “subjected” its employees to unlawful race discrimination when it allowed comedian Bernard Manning and guests at an event to abuse and harass them racially, in circumstances in which it had sufficient control over the discriminatory event so as to have been able to prevent or reduce the extent of it by applying good employment practice.

Monty92
09-19-2016, 10:45 AM
The issue here is probably not the comment or joke by Gascoigne, whatever about the rights and wrongs of so-called racist jokes.

It’s the security guard who took offence and reported him.

One assumes the same guard would (if working at a Chubby Brown gig) be equally as offended and made numerous calls though I thought he was more known for sexism as opposed to racism.

Not knowing the full context of the comment it is difficult to say if perhaps the guard needs to cop himself on or if Gascoigne is in the wrong.

I think it was something about not being able to see him because the lights were off.

I can understand him not being over the moon about it, but personally I can't imagine a scenario in which I would report someone for making a joke about my physical appearance, even if related to my race.

SWv2
09-19-2016, 10:51 AM
I think it was something about not being able to see him because the lights were off.

I can understand him not being over the moon about it, but personally I can't imagine a scenario in which I would report someone for making a joke about my physical appearance, even if related to my race.

You may if you felt humiliated in front of a few hundred people.

Burney
09-19-2016, 10:53 AM

That's because you aren't encouraged to regard anything to do with your race as being sacrosanct and legally exempt from any sort of mockery.

Burney
09-19-2016, 10:55 AM

Yes, well his hurt feelings should definitely be a matter for the law

Fùckssake!

Burney
09-19-2016, 10:57 AM

In fact, I remember hearing just such a joke being made about Ruel Fox on Grandstand by one of his team mates back in the 90s. Something to do with 'Lucky he's always smiling, cos...etc, etc'. No-one even blinked.

Monty92
09-19-2016, 11:05 AM

No, honestly, I wouldn't. However ****ty I felt, I wouldn't feel it was a matter for the law. I think Gazza is a ****ing arsehole for saying it, but being an arsehole shouldn't be illegal.

Burney
09-19-2016, 11:08 AM
No, honestly, I wouldn't. However ****ty I felt, I wouldn't feel it was a matter for the law. I think Gazza is a ****ing arsehole for saying it, but being an arsehole shouldn't be illegal.

The implications seem pretty problematic to me. I've seen stand up by Pryor and Eddie Murphy that explicitly took the piss out of the supposed racial characteristics of white people and Chinese people. Would that be illegal?

IUFG
09-19-2016, 11:11 AM
In the UK?

Yes about the Chinese. 99% 'No' if you're white.

SWv2
09-19-2016, 11:15 AM

I agree 100% it was not a matter for the law but perhaps this security guard was so emotionally traumatised by his perceived humiliation that he needs a financial pay-out or compensation to help him move forward with his life.

Burney
09-19-2016, 11:16 AM
In the UK?

Yes about the Chinese. 99% 'No' if you're white.

But if brought to court it would have to be deemed illegal and punished. The difference being, of course, that white people wouldn't take it to court in the first place.

IUFG
09-19-2016, 11:18 AM
I believe, through the case law I have seen, the white population of the UK don't have 'a race'

Burney
09-19-2016, 11:19 AM
I believe, through the case law I have seen, the white population of the UK don't have 'a race'

But black people do? Be they East, West or Southern African? Bajan, Jamaican or American?

IUFG
09-19-2016, 11:21 AM
pretty much sums it up.

SWv2
09-19-2016, 11:22 AM

What if they are Irish?

Burney
09-19-2016, 11:25 AM
What if they are Irish?

Presumably that is what Sir C will be treacherously putting on his next Census form. :shakehead:

You won't be surprised to learn that I eschewed the option and went for 'White (British)'.

Burney
09-19-2016, 11:27 AM
What if they are Irish?

Or Jewish, for that matter. I've known some pretty damn white Jews. They're not all as touched by the tarbrush as Monty.

Ash
09-19-2016, 12:17 PM
What if they are Irish?

Irish are good. They're on the list of approved identities. They even have their own day of the year.

Sir C
09-19-2016, 12:20 PM
What if they are Irish?

Irish? In a race? What sort of race can you do standing at a bar throwing ale down your neck? :hehe:

IUFG
09-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Yes .

IUFG
09-19-2016, 01:22 PM
In the eyes of discriminatory laws I would believe you would be using religion (Judaism) as the protected characteristic not race*

* I know there is an argument re race / religion - see Jews / Rastas / etc