PDA

View Full Version : Americanisms or should that be Americanizms.

Pat Vegas
09-16-2016, 12:06 PM
I don't think some of these are necessarily Americanisms

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

Also which wons are you guilty of?
I have loads but it makes sense really.

This deplane one is interesting.
as I've head English fellas say detrain in the old days.

IUFG
09-16-2016, 12:13 PM
Deplane ?

Sir C
09-16-2016, 12:16 PM

I'm guilty of the 'can I get' thing. I hate it. :-(

YOU always say, 'ON the weekend...'

Pat Vegas
09-16-2016, 12:18 PM
I'm guilty of the 'can I get' thing. I hate it. :-(

YOU always say, 'ON the weekend...'

I should be exempt as I have the North American influence.

Unfortunately in my current job I use Americanisms in my emails constantly. I've done more ****ing reaching out than the Four tops

Luis Anaconda
09-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Quite a lot of those aren't even Americanisms though

Pat Vegas
09-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Quite a lot of those aren't even Americanisms though

Well exactly. Which ones do you disagree with?

I also think a lot of American expressions and terms obviously come from old English phrases, legal stuff etc. And maybe they were old English terms that are not used anymore and perceived to be American.

Ash
09-16-2016, 12:30 PM

:nod: The two or three on there that I might have used are definitely not Americanizations.

I actually personally pioneered the deployment of the noun "issue" instead of "problem" when collating and managing 'bug reports', simply because I refused to acknowledge a priori what I suspected to be user errors as "problems". Other than problem between chair and keyboard, of course.

Luis Anaconda
09-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Well exactly. Which ones do you disagree with?

I also think a lot of American expressions and terms obviously come from old English phrases, legal stuff etc. And maybe they were old English terms that are not used anymore and perceived to be American.
that doesn't make it right "five "Americanisms" cited in the original column's first paragraph, four were of British origin".

Yes, to "wait on" also means to be a waiter, but writers from Chaucer to Milton to George Eliot used "to wait on" - it has always been quite common English. Similarly physicality is a word that has been around for years and used - don't know why people would suggest this comes from America

Pat Vegas
09-16-2016, 12:37 PM
that doesn't make it right "five "Americanisms" cited in the original column's first paragraph, four were of British origin".

Yes, to "wait on" also means to be a waiter, but writers from Chaucer to Milton to George Eliot used "to wait on" - it has always been quite common English. Similarly physicality is a word that has been around for years and used - don't know why people would suggest this comes from America

speaking on 'on' I found myself asking for something 'on' Italian in subway.
:-(

Side note. does anybody ever say no when they ask 'cheese and toasted'?
and another thing the roll never seems to cost what I expect it to. It's like a lottery of what the price will be. sometimes I get offered a drink sometimes I don't, cunds.

World's End Stella
09-16-2016, 01:28 PM
I should be exempt as I have the North American influence.

Unfortunately in my current job I use Americanisms in my emails constantly. I've done more ****ing reaching out than the Four tops

One thing you should lose if you want to honour your Canadian roots, Pat, is the use of 'ice hockey'. It is 'hockey' only. There is 'hockey' which is played on ice by hard, virile athletes of exceptional ability, and there is 'field hockey', which is played by girls on astro turf, wearing skirts. It is acceptable to refer to it as 'hockey' if you are in the company of only English people who will recognise the name. And I should know, as with my advancing age I now play the English form of the game, less the skirt.

But it is never, ever 'ice hockey'. BTW, the world cup of hockey starts this weekend, Canada being the strong favourites. I assume you'll be following?

Ash
09-16-2016, 01:38 PM
But it is never, ever 'ice hockey'. BTW, the world cup of hockey starts this weekend, Canada being the strong favourites. I assume you'll be following?

It should always be 'ice hockey'. Only septics and wannabe septics call it hockey.

Also, I'd rather watch the girls in their skirts than the ice-skaters waving sticks about.

Burney
09-16-2016, 01:43 PM

The one I hate most isn't there and just seems to have become normal parlance, sadly. It's saying 'Ree-search' rather than 'research'.
What next? Will we start saying 'Dee-fence' as well? :-(

World's End Stella
09-16-2016, 01:45 PM
It should always be 'ice hockey'. Only septics and wannabe septics call it hockey.

Also, I'd rather watch the girls in their skirts than the ice-skaters waving sticks about.

Nope, there is hockey and field hockey, that's it. And as I have played both that probably makes me an expert. Or something.

Sir C
09-16-2016, 01:49 PM

Yes, but that's why you're no longer allowed withon 300 metres of junior schools, a. :-(

Ash
09-16-2016, 01:51 PM
Nope, there is hockey and field hockey, that's it. And as I have played both that probably makes me an expert. Or something.

:nono: Only septics and wannabe septics call it hockey.

This could go on for a while.

Ash
09-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Yes, but that's why you're no longer allowed withon 300 metres of junior schools, a. :-(

Um, I was talking about the Olympics. You seem to have mistaken me for Monty. Or Marve.

SWv2
09-16-2016, 01:56 PM
:nono: Only septics and wannabe septics call it hockey.

This could go on for a while.

Hockey is a game played by girls and protestants.

Ice Hockey by Canadians and Russians.

Pat Vegas
09-16-2016, 02:01 PM
One thing you should lose if you want to honour your Canadian roots, Pat, is the use of 'ice hockey'. It is 'hockey' only. There is 'hockey' which is played on ice by hard, virile athletes of exceptional ability, and there is 'field hockey', which is played by girls on astro turf, wearing skirts. It is acceptable to refer to it as 'hockey' if you are in the company of only English people who will recognise the name. And I should know, as with my advancing age I now play the English form of the game, less the skirt.

I just do it depending on who I am talking to. I played for years over here got the fake teeth to show for it.

Yep looking forward to the world cup of hockey. How can I watch it? I was in Toronto in June stocked up on some merchandise.

World's End Stella
09-16-2016, 02:05 PM
I just do it depending on who I am talking to. I played for years over here got the fake teeth to show for it.

Yep looking forward to the world cup of hockey. How can I watch it? I was in Toronto in June stocked up on some merchandise.

Get Live Media Player and search for a stream, worked fairly well for me when watching the World Juniors a couple of years back. Wanted to see Connor McDavid for the first time.