PDA

View Full Version : MoneyWimb. Do you still use cash?

Pat Vegas
09-15-2016, 02:28 PM
I rarely do. Only time I get money out is for stuff like getting a haircut.

I thought to myself that using my debit card all the time would stop me from wasting money.
For example a £10 note, buy something for £7 quid the £3 just goes to waste on some sort of snack or drink.

But now I think of it when using the card the actual value of money can easily be ignored. I might start withdrawing cash and say that's my monthly money to spend.

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 02:36 PM

I thought to myself that using my debit card all the time would stop me from wasting money.
For example a £10 note, buy something for £7 quid the £3 just goes to waste on some sort of snack or drink.

But now I think of it when using the card the actual value of money can easily be ignored. I might start withdrawing cash and say that's my monthly money to spend.
Yes - all the time. This is still largely a cash society - most bars have a €25 limit for using cards, restaurants are funny about it too. Supermarket in the shopping centre across the road from work has just installed self-service check-outs - this is a MASSIVE thing (sadly it is a ****e supermarket so really don't like going there

Maravilloso Marvo
09-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Cash is king and always will be. Although I do agree with your point as I do more and more on contactless and it certainly doesn't feel like spending money, especially when I use my phone.

I try to pay in cash when there is a clear benefit to the recipient. A restaurant where the staff are more likely to keep the tip in cash, small businesses like my cleaner, dry cleaner, chap who washes my car, hairdresser etc. Though I am probably encouraging tax dodging by doing this, so maybe I should reconsider.

Burney
09-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Yes - all the time. This is still largely a cash society - most bars have a €25 limit for using cards, restaurants are funny about it too. Supermarket in the shopping centre across the road from work has just installed self-service check-outs - this is a MASSIVE thing (sadly it is a ****e supermarket so really don't like going there

The Germans are fúcking annoying about not taking credit cards. I was talking about this with one the other day and he was giving it a load of old guff about a fear of debt brought about by the 20s and 30s, but it basically boils down to meanness - nobody wants to pay the costs of credit cards. I pointed out that it was 2016 and they really ought to get with the fúcking programme.

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 02:57 PM
The Germans are fúcking annoying about not taking credit cards. I was talking about this with one the other day and he was giving it a load of old guff about a fear of debt brought about by the 20s and 30s, but it basically boils down to meanness - nobody wants to pay the costs of credit cards. I pointed out that it was 2016 and they really ought to get with the fúcking programme.

Yep - It can be a pain all right. It was a bit better in Berlin I seem to recall but they are all condsidered a bit odd up there

Burney
09-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Yep - It can be a pain all right. It was a bit better in Berlin I seem to recall but they are all condsidered a bit odd up there

The worst bit is going out for dinner, where, if you're hosting any number of people, you have to carry frankly vulgar quantities of cash to make sure there's no chance of embarrassment. It's very infra dig. I associate carrying those quantities of cash with bankrupts, gangsters or drug dealers

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 03:11 PM
The worst bit is going out for dinner, where, if you're hosting any number of people, you have to carry frankly vulgar quantities of cash to make sure there's no chance of embarrassment. It's very infra dig. I associate carrying those quantities of cash with bankrupts, gangsters or drug dealers

:hehe: I didn't think of that. Guess people have a tendency to check before they go. They aren't very keen on splitting the bill - everyone paying separately when there is about 20 of you can be quite a chore

Sir C
09-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Only for paying the cleaner and for tipping barmen and waiters. It's remarkable, really. I used to burn through cash at a ridiculous pace; now I reckon less than £200 a week covers my whole cash requirement.

Burney
09-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Only for paying the cleaner and for tipping barmen and waiters. It's remarkable, really. I used to burn through cash at a ridiculous pace; now I reckon less than £200 a week covers my whole cash requirement.

All part of your new clean lifestyle, I reckon.

Pat Vegas
09-15-2016, 03:23 PM
:hehe: I didn't think of that. Guess people have a tendency to check before they go. They aren't very keen on splitting the bill - everyone paying separately when there is about 20 of you can be quite a chore

at my last job we went out for dinner. Mid meal they tell us the card machine isn't working. It was a disaster so we had to take turns going to the cash machine as nobody had cash. Like some mug I am carrying other peoples debit cards with their pin numbers. Madness. I suggested why doesn't one person just withdraw the money and we pay them but nobody would agree on this.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 03:27 PM
All part of your new clean lifestyle, I reckon.

Very much so, yes. I'm rather enjoying it. I'm up before 7 every morning, raring to get at 'em.

Mind you, I quite fancy some drugs soon.

Burney
09-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Very much so, yes. I'm rather enjoying it. I'm up before 7 every morning, raring to get at 'em.

Mind you, I quite fancy some drugs soon.

Get at whom exactly? I now have a vision of a new, invigorated you prowling priapically through the crepuscular streets of St Mary Cray. :-(

Mo Britain less Europe
09-15-2016, 03:31 PM
If you don't use cash what do you do with buskers, waiters and the "spare some change" mob? Give them your pin number?

Sir C
09-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Get at whom exactly? I now have a vision of a new, invigorated you prowling priapically through the crepuscular streets of St Mary Cray. :-(

And who's to say that would be a bad thing, eh?

Pat Vegas
09-15-2016, 03:36 PM
If you don't use cash what do you do with buskers, waiters and the "spare some change" mob? Give them your pin number?

I don't give them anything.

Waiters I tip using my card which they end up not getting but I can't be bothered.
The only cash in my wallet is left over foreign currencies.

On holiday I am completely opposite I love using cash.

Burney
09-15-2016, 03:36 PM

Buskers? Who gives money to buskers? Annoying *******s they are.

Pat Vegas
09-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Buskers? Who gives money to buskers? Annoying *******s they are.

Like that tosser down the west end who plays a traffic cone.

Burney
09-15-2016, 03:39 PM
And who's to say that would be a bad thing, eh?

The police and the local RSPCA for starters.

Mrs Mensch is off again, btw.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-15-2016, 03:51 PM

It's a f ucking Les Paul traffic cone I'd have you know.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 03:59 PM
The police and the local RSPCA for starters.

Mrs Mensch is off again, btw.

She must be on the charlie.

Mmm, charlie.

Tony C
09-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Nope.

My wallet isn't big enough.

The U.K. really need to introduce £100 and £200 notes for discerning gents like myself.

Instead man got to walk about with shi tty fifties and twenties innit fam.....

Ash
09-15-2016, 04:09 PM

He seriously needs shooting.*

*Not seriously at all.

SWv2
09-15-2016, 04:10 PM

*Not seriously at all.

Interesting.

Pat Vegas
09-15-2016, 04:11 PM

*Not seriously at all.

'isn't he enterprising!'

no he isn't, if he's so smart stop being a traffic cone playing ****.

Ash
09-15-2016, 04:23 PM
'isn't he enterprising!'

no he isn't, if he's so smart stop being a traffic cone playing ****.

Right. He should learn a proper instrument if he wants to 'sing for his supper'. The old French rock'n roll/bluesman (forget his name) who used to play at the Marathon Bar every night used to make a good fair few bob busking. But he was good. He played at one of my locals over the road last New Year. Great night.

The last time I paid a busker I soon regretted it. As I was taking my seat outside a cafe on the corner of Neal Street and Shaftsbury Ave he struck up a Kinks number, so I flipped him a quid. Turned out to be quite the massacre of the song, to my discomfort. I almost asked him for my money back.

Pat Vegas
09-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Right. He should learn a proper instrument if he wants to 'sing for his supper'. The old French rock'n roll/bluesman (forget his name) who used to play at the Marathon Bar every night used to make a good fair few bob busking. But he was good. He played at one of my locals over the road last New Year. Great night.

The last time I paid a busker I soon regretted it. As I was taking my seat outside a cafe on the corner of Neal Street and Shaftsbury Ave he struck up a Kinks number, so I flipped him a quid. Turned out to be quite the massacre of the song, to my discomfort. I almost asked him for my money back.

I remember seeing some good wons in New York. There was an ace band who played beatles in the subway. They were really good.

but then at the same time you had these young lunatic fellas come through the train carriages doing back slips and hanging up side down from the handlebars. it was all a bit weird.

Lady Henry AKA The African Queen
09-15-2016, 11:51 PM

Very true.

redgunamo
09-21-2016, 11:00 AM

Yes, wherever possible. It's more honest, personal.

Even if a chap attempts to pay you with six inches of crisp fifties he's clearly just blagged, you can trust him because he's risked his life to ensure that you get your money. It doesn't get more sincere and genuine than that. And if money isn't about personal fidelity and sincerity then what *is* it about.

Ash
09-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Yes, wherever possible. It's more honest, personal.

Even if a chap attempts to pay you with six inches of crisp fifties he's clearly just blagged, you can trust him because he's risked his life to ensure that you get your money. It doesn't get more sincere and genuine than that. And if money isn't about personal fidelity and sincerity then what *is* it about.

:hehe: Vintage reg. Welcome back, me old china. You've been missed. Won't ask where you've been. :tapsnose:

Did you see we have a number nine again? It's ON!

redgunamo
09-21-2016, 01:40 PM
:hehe: Vintage reg. Welcome back, me old china. You've been missed. Won't ask where you've been. :tapsnose:

Did you see we have a number nine again? It's ON!

Too kind, I'm sure!

He looks very nice, doesn't he. It *is* on.

PSRB
09-21-2016, 04:24 PM

Hardly ever now, actually quicker to pay contactless than by cash. Generally keep a bit of cash for emergencies but that's it

Ash
09-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Hardly ever now, actually quicker to pay contactless than by cash. Generally keep a bit of cash for emergencies but that's it

Well bring some bloody cash next time you come to the Woodbine because they don't accept cards. ;-)

redgunamo
09-21-2016, 04:48 PM

Gs and DDs are honest men though, beholden to no-one. Cash for them is like their skin; when they buy you lunch you can be sure they're paying for it themselves, with their own dough. The fruit of their own labours, if you will, thereby lending real authenticity to the proceedings.

Half the trouble with the world today is people have become so used to spending other people's money.

PSRB
09-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Well bring some bloody cash next time you come to the Woodbine because they don't accept cards. ;-)

That's exactly why I have cash for emergencies, stupid pubs that don't have card machines and barbers