PDA

View Full Version : Chops

Dorset Gooner
09-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I had mutton chops last night & they were far more flavoursome than lamb & at half the price. Why do you not see these in many butchers?

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 08:42 AM
I had mutton chops last night & they were far more flavoursome than lamb & at half the price. Why do you not see these in many butchers?

Because people mistakingly believe that lamb is more tender than mutton which, provided you cook it correctly, is patently untrue.

But chops aren't actually that good, are they? They're simple to cook but ultimately mostly disappointing. With the possible exception of these f*ck off huge veal chops I used to get in NY which when pan fried with mushrooms were quite divine.

How's things in Dorset? What's your weekly alcohol consumption like nowadays?

Burney
09-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Because you have to raise the animal much longer at greater expense to get it old enough to be mutton - and people generally won't pay for the difference, so it's not cost-effective.

Dorset Gooner
09-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Because people mistakingly believe that lamb is more tender than mutton which, provided you cook it correctly, is patently untrue.

But chops aren't actually that good, are they? They're simple to cook but ultimately mostly disappointing. With the possible exception of these f*ck off huge veal chops I used to get in NY which when pan fried with mushrooms were quite divine.

How's things in Dorset? What's your weekly alcohol consumption like nowadays?

I now reside in South Hams b near Dartmouth

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Because you have to raise the animal much longer at greater expense to get it old enough to be mutton - and people generally won't pay for the difference, so it's not cost-effective.

Perhaps they could disguise the chops of younger beasts and charge more. Lamb dressed as mutton so to speak

Sir C
09-15-2016, 09:23 AM
I now reside in South Hams b near Dartmouth

Fúcking hell mate, go any further west and you'll fall off the end!

Burney
09-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Fúcking hell mate, go any further west and you'll fall off the end!

Also, doesn't that now make him Devon Gooner?

Sir C
09-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Also, doesn't that now make him Devon Gooner/

I'm going to be frank with you here, b. Devon, Dorset, Cornwall - I have no idea which is which. It's all a bit 'out west' to me, I fear.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm going to be frank with you here, b. Devon, Dorset, Cornwall - I have no idea which is which. It's all a bit 'out west' to me, I fear.

No loss there, Charles, as it's all sh1t. Sh1t weather, sh1t food, sh1t people - all sh1t.

You can drive to France in less time than it takes to get there, as well. Why on earth would someone spend time in the west when you could spend it in France?

Insane.

Burney
09-15-2016, 09:38 AM

I don't really know Dorset that well. Never spent much time there. Devon I love. Cornwall's nice, but it's ridicules hard to get to.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 09:42 AM
No loss there, Charles, as it's all sh1t. Sh1t weather, sh1t food, sh1t people - all sh1t.

You can drive to France in less time than it takes to get there, as well. Why on earth would someone spend time in the west when you could spend it in France?

Insane.

Oh I've eaten remarkably well out west. Then again, I have simple tastes.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 09:43 AM
I don't really know Dorset that well. Never spent much time there. Devon I love. Cornwall's nice, but it's ridicules hard to get to.

Padstow's nice. Is that Cornwall?

Burney
09-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Padstow's nice. Is that Cornwall?

Yes. Although it's ruined by that dreadful Stein fellow, of course.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 09:52 AM

A fine fellow. Understands the importance of salt. Knows how to treat a lobster.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 09:55 AM

Never understood the hatred he receives. My wife is nothing like me; she's kind, caring, loving, gentle, considerate and has loads of friends.

And she hates Rick Stein. Don't get it.

Burney
09-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Never understood the hatred he receives. My wife is nothing like me; she's kind, caring, loving, gentle, considerate and has loads of friends.

And she hates Rick Stein. Don't get it.

Yes. He's bald, shouty, opinionated and irritating. You'd think she'd be a fan.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Yes. He's bald, shouty, opinionated and irritating. You'd think she'd be a fan.

LOL :hehe:

Actually, he isn't shouty or opinionated and I expect he's irritating to you because he's a human being who isn't you.

So basically, you're baldist.

Burney
09-15-2016, 10:13 AM
LOL :hehe:

Actually, he isn't shouty or opinionated and I expect he's irritating to you because he's a human being who isn't you.

So basically, you're baldist.

I think you're baldest, mate.

He is shouty and opinionated. He's always fulminating in a tiresome way (usually in the middle of the street) about how foreigners do things better and how we at home are all wrong. Meanwhile the foreigners gaze at him witheringly with a look that says 'Who is this bald, shouty cùnt and when will he fúck off?'

Mo Britain less Europe
09-15-2016, 10:15 AM
There is a pointless snobbery about lamb v mutton. At one point I tried to get hold of sheep which were being drowned on a yearly basis in the Falkland Islands in order to export it but they couldn't be a rsed.

In Iceland too they "only eat yearlings".

I have news for them and for you. Lamb isn't tastier than mutton (in the same way veal isn't tastier than beef) and if the sheep spends a couple more years eating grass and so on it is more than compensated by the extra amount of meat and wool you get from the older animals.

Period.

Burney
09-15-2016, 10:17 AM
There is a pointless snobbery about lamb v mutton. At one point I tried to get hold of sheep which were being drowned on a yearly basis in the Falkland Islands in order to export it but they couldn't be a rsed.

In Iceland too they "only eat yearlings".

I have news for them and for you. Lamb isn't tastier than mutton (in the same way veal isn't tastier than beef) and if the sheep spends a couple more years eating grass and so on it is more than compensated by the extra amount of meat and wool you get from the older animals.

Period.

Who on earth is drowning these poor sheep on a yearly basis? Shouldn't something be done?

Also, I'm not going to rise to your 'Period.' bait.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 10:21 AM

He is shouty and opinionated. He's always fulminating in a tiresome way (usually in the middle of the street) about how foreigners do things better and how we at home are all wrong. Meanwhile the foreigners gaze at him witheringly with a look that says 'Who is this bald, shouty cùnt and when will he fúck off?'

He's done loads of shows extolling the value of British produce/cooking and not just in the southwest, all over England. And it's rather hard to do the job he does without offering an opinion, it's what he's paid to do.

This is your misanthropic side showing through, Berni.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Who on earth is drowning these poor sheep on a yearly basis? Shouldn't something be done?

Also, I'm not going to rise to your 'Period.' bait.

It was worth a try...

Not happening anymore but happened for years. They didn't have an abattoir acceptable to EU standards. I pointed out to them there was a big wide world out there beyond the EU which could buy the stuff and even arranged for an abattoir ship to go out there. They weren't interested. Too much money from fishing licences.

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 11:05 AM

There's also a lot of dogs in Padstow - more than I think I have seen in one place, at one time. Also damed hard to find the Southampton Arsenal score - and then we lost. I don't think I like Padstow

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Many years back, my beloved and I went to a village in the mountains (Manikaran in the Parvati Valley in the foothills of the Indian Himalayas} to visit some old friends. This is really cut off - 2 hrs by bus to the main road where the valley joins the Delhi-Manali road.

Matey said he'd cook for us tonight. Asked my partner if she wanted chicken or mutton and she chose the later. The Butchers there don't have fridges cos of power cuts. You see flies buzzing around the slabs of meat all the time.

She got really ill with the ****s etc and was in bed on a saline drip for days and days.

It turns out that mutton for them is goat. So beware if you ever go up the mountains - or eat in a local dhaba (cheap food shack) if it serves meat {most are Veg or pure veg.} A mutton curry is made from goat and isn't that good for western guts.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Many years back, my beloved and I went to a village in the mountains (Manikaran in the Parvati Valley in the foothills of the Indian Himalayas} to visit some old friends. This is really cut off - 2 hrs by bus to the main road where the valley joins the Delhi-Manali road.

Matey said he'd cook for us tonight. Asked my partner if she wanted chicken or mutton and she chose the later. The Butchers there don't have fridges cos of power cuts. You see flies buzzing around the slabs of meat all the time.

She got really ill with the ****s etc and was in bed on a saline drip for days and days.

It turns out that mutton for them is goat. So beware if you ever go up the mountains - or eat in a local dhaba (cheap food shack) if it serves meat {most are Veg or pure veg.} A mutton curry is made from goat and isn't that good for western guts.

I doubt it was the variety of meat that did it, more the lack of hygiene in India. Which is one reason that, unless forced by work, I will never visit the godforsaken place. I've lost count of the number of people I know who have come back from there seriously ill. In one case it probably cost him his life, in another case it has had an incredibly negative impact on his life.

Civilised people should visit only civilised countries, Ganpati.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 12:50 PM
I doubt it was the variety of meat that did it, more the lack of hygiene in India. Which is one reason that, unless forced by work, I will never visit the godforsaken place. I've lost count of the number of people I know who have come back from there seriously ill. In one case it probably cost him his life, in another case it has had an incredibly negative impact on his life.

Civilised people should visit only civilised countries, Ganpati.

What a lot of old *******s.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 12:52 PM
What a lot of old *******s.

And I include Africa in that no-visit list, Charles :-)

Sir C
09-15-2016, 12:53 PM
And I include Africa in that no-visit list, Charles :-)

And south-east Asia?

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 12:55 PM
And south-east Asia?

Oh god no, I'm desperate to visit SE Asia. In no way would I consider it to be uncivilised.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Oh god no, I'm desperate to visit SE Asia. In no way would I consider it to be uncivilised.

:hehe: You might be in for something of a surprise, tbh.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 12:59 PM
:hehe: You might be in for something of a surprise, tbh.

You mean there might be more to it than my anecdotal, superficial, make it up as I go along analysis? :-(

Sir C
09-15-2016, 01:02 PM
You mean there might be more to it than my anecdotal, superficial, make it up as I go along analysis? :-(

Quite possibly.

Cities like KL, Bangkok and Hong Kong may appear first world from the outside, but scratch the surface and sniff the appalling truth at your peril. Cambodia, Laos and the 'Nam are definitely third world.

Singapore doesn't really count as being in Asia. It's like Switzerland if the Nazis were in power.

Burney
09-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Quite possibly.

Cities like KL, Bangkok and Hong Kong may appear first world from the outside, but scratch the surface and sniff the appalling truth at your peril. Cambodia, Laos and the 'Nam are definitely third world.

Singapore doesn't really count as being in Asia. It's like Switzerland if the Nazis were in power.

Better food, though. Much better. And more transexuals.

Lar d'Arse
09-15-2016, 01:14 PM

You make that sound like a positive B?

Burney
09-15-2016, 01:16 PM
You make that sound like a positive B?

I have quite the adventurous palate, lar.

Sir C
09-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Chilli crab vs fondue and rosti. It would be an interesting 'comapre and score' dinner.

Of the transexuals I cannot speak, for I have tasted these, no doubt, divine fruits in neither country. Rather than quantity, might you advise which nation enjoys the better transexuals?

Burney
09-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Chilli crab vs fondue and rosti. It would be an interesting 'comapre and score' dinner.

Of the transexuals I cannot speak, for I have tasted these, no doubt, divine fruits in neither country. Rather than quantity, might you advise which nation enjoys the better transexuals?

I can't imagine a Swiss transexual would be up to much. Mind you, some of the Singaporean ones are frighteningly realistic.

Lar d'Arse
09-15-2016, 01:20 PM

Not that I would know of course but I think there may be others more qualified than B to answer that.....

Sir C
09-15-2016, 01:23 PM
I can't imagine a Swiss transexual would be up to much. Mind you, some of the Singaporean ones are frighteningly realistic.

Most of the Singaporean one will be Thai gatoey; Thai surgeons are the acknowledged master of the art, and, if you're interested, cheap.

Burney
09-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Most of the Singaporean one will be Thai gatoey; Thai surgeons are the acknowledged master of the art, and, if you're interested, cheap.

It can make you quite paranoid. There was this stunningly beautiful girl who worked behind the bar at my hotel and I had to stop idly lusting over her for fear that she had a cock. :-(

Sir C
09-15-2016, 01:34 PM
It can make you quite paranoid. There was this stunningly beautiful girl who worked behind the bar at my hotel and I had to stop idly lusting over her for fear that she had a cock. :-(

Oh I don't let it bother me. I simply lech away, happy in the knowledge that I'm far too old to actually end up being surprised by the contents of the knickers.

World's End Stella
09-15-2016, 02:37 PM

I have been to HK many times with work and have seen many, but certainly not all, of the seedy sides of life there. I love it there, my life will not be complete unless I live and work there for two years before I retire. Also, HK is the sort of city that if aren't looking for it, you'll be fine. India/Africa can f*ck you over without you having taken any chances whatsoever.

As for ladyboys, my colleagues in HK tell me that you quickly adjust to them and what they look like. The last time a friend of mine (cough cough) was in one of those Wan Chai bars with a local chap, the local chap could pick out a ladyboy in a second. Even me, I mean my friend, caught on pretty quickly.

Lan Kwai Fong is the best drinking district in the world. FACT.