PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes being banned from posting on The Guardian is a hardship.

Burney
09-14-2016, 11:11 AM
For instance, this chap's complaint about being made to feel like a scrounger because of his disability is very sad and everything, but - due to being banned - I'm unable to satisfy my deep-seated urge to ask whether he is perhaps perceived as a scrounger due to having short arms and deep pockets

I don't suppose someone else with an account on there would do it for me? :-(

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/14/thalidomider-scrounger-disability-pip-benefits-cut

Pokster
09-14-2016, 11:28 AM
For instance, this chap's complaint about being made to feel like a scrounger because of his disability is very sad and everything, but - due to being banned - I'm unable to satisfy my deep-seated urge to ask whether he is perhaps perceived as a scrounger due to having short arms and deep pockets

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/14/thalidomider-scrounger-disability-pip-benefits-cut

Nice......

Monty92
09-14-2016, 11:29 AM

Did you read this?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/10/as-lionel-shriver-made-light-of-identity-i-had-no-choice-but-to-walk-out-on-her

Beyond parody is not even the start of it.

Burney
09-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Did you read this?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/10/as-lionel-shriver-made-light-of-identity-i-had-no-choice-but-to-walk-out-on-her

Yes. They did actually print the text of Shriver's wholly rational and intelligent speech yesterday, but decided to double down on the stupidity by publishing another piece defending cultural appropriation today.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Yes. They did actually print the text of Shriver's wholly rational and intelligent speech yesterday, but decided to double down on the stupidity by publishing another piece defending cultural appropriation today.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that they're reached peak Guardian at the same time they've started going cap in hand to readers. Almost as if they're saying "Look! Look at the unmitigated *******s we're having to publish to pull in more readers as our business model falls further down the ****ter! Help us!"

Burney
09-14-2016, 11:44 AM
I wonder if it's a coincidence that they're reached peak Guardian at the same time they've started going cap in hand to readers. Almost as if they're saying "Look! Look at the unmitigated *******s we're having to publish to pull in more readers as our business model falls further down the ****ter! Help us!"

Possibly. Eventually their only realistic business model will be to go behind a paywall and cater purely for left-wing lunatics who never want any reality to intrude on their news or comment.

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Did you read this?

I can't actually read that m - the self-indulgent bull**** of the intro means I can't get to the actual meat (can I say meat in this context) of her argument. What the flying **** is she on about?

Monty92
09-14-2016, 11:57 AM
I can't actually read that m - the self-indulgent bull**** of the intro means I can't get to the actual meat (can I say meat in this context) of her argument. What the flying **** is she on about?

Basically, a white person shouldn't write about the fictional experiences of a black person because racism

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Basically, a white person shouldn't write about the fictional experiences of a black person because racism

ty
What utter bull****

Burney
09-14-2016, 12:09 PM
ty
What utter bull****

Yes. The argument is very effectively dismantled by the very speech to which she chose not to listen. Which, I guess, is why she walked out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/13/lionel-shrivers-full-speech-i-hope-the-concept-of-cultural-appropriation-is-a-passing-fad

Ash
09-14-2016, 12:43 PM

I would actually like to chip in to contribute to their generally very decent sports coverage, but am prevented from doing so by the prospect of supporting stuff like that. Is there any way of explaining this to them?

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
09-14-2016, 12:49 PM

Just make another log in, ffs.

I'm on my 4th or 5th.

09-14-2016, 12:52 PM
I would actually like to chip in to contribute to their generally very decent sports coverage, but am prevented from doing so by the prospect of supporting stuff like that. Is there any way of explaining this to them?

They're sacking Mike Selvey from the cricket coverage.

When discussing this BTL, I pointed out that we were being denied reading Selvey so we could pay for more articles about how stock cubes or barbecues are racist. People agreed with me that this is wrong.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 12:55 PM

I'm on my 4th or 5th.

I seem to have become quite adept at not being moderated and have never been banned.

I'm not trying hard enough, I guess :-(

09-14-2016, 01:08 PM
I seem to have become quite adept at not being moderated and have never been banned.

I'm not trying hard enough, I guess :-(

Fair play. They've done me loads of times. And I'm a lefty. I just don't like being told I'm a racist for using stock cubes.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Fair play. They've done me loads of times. And I'm a lefty. I just don't like being told I'm a racist for using stock cubes.

You use stock cubes? :yikes: Raaaaaacist!

I'm just impeccably polite. All the time. It's disarming.

Burney
09-14-2016, 01:26 PM

I'm on my 4th or 5th.

I've made dozens. They now ban me as soon as I post, which suggests they're looking at my IP addresses. :shrug:

Burney
09-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Being polite is cheating. It makes them think you're one of them.

And don't think I didn't see you being polite to Jack Monroe yesterday on twitter. :shakehead:

Sir C
09-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Being polite is cheating. It makes them think you're one of them.

And don't think I didn't see you being polite to Jack Monroe yesterday on twitter. :shakehead:

I'm going to make ze my friend. I might also have a go at Laurie Penny, but I suspect she's a little brighter and will suss me out.

Burney
09-14-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm going to make ze my friend. I might also have a go at Laurie Penny, but I suspect she's a little brighter and will suss me out.

God. Imagine being less bright than Laurie Penny :-(

Monty92
09-14-2016, 01:59 PM
I've made dozens. They now ban me as soon as I post, which suggests they're looking at my IP addresses. :shrug:

I think I may have just followed you on Twitter. Can you confirm?

Burney
09-14-2016, 01:59 PM
I think I may have just followed you on Twitter. Can you confirm?

You have, you saucy chap.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:05 PM
You have, you saucy chap.

Godfry Elfwick :clap:

He's great, isn't he?

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Godfry Elfwick :clap:

He's great, isn't he?

I do like him, yes. Rather more wit than some of these alt-right types - some of whom are a bit odd

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:09 PM
I do like him, yes. Rather more wit than some of these alt-right types - some of whom are a bit odd

Milo wossisname, for example. He's a bit wearing.

09-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Do you think those little Knorr stockpot jelly things are also racist, cos I rather like those.

But the idea that barbecues are racist because black people used to cook on a fire outside is just insane. Do they think that white people have always had fitted kitchens? I'm sure they do it on purpose, but **** 'em. I just ad-block them. But sacking Selvey so they can pay for more of this drivel is the reason why they'll go broke.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Only the campness is grating. Listen to his (3 hour) interview on The Joe Rogan Experience podcast and you will struggle to disagree with anything he says.

He's an unapologetic troll, but a smart one.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:14 PM

Yes, there's actually a chap called Paul Joseph Watson who, while certainly being on the right side in this culture war, is rather an oddball. Then there's Alex Jones :-\

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Do you think those little Knorr stockpot jelly things are also racist, cos I rather like those.

But the idea that barbecues are racist because black people used to cook on a fire outside is just insane. Do they think that white people have always had fitted kitchens? I'm sure they do it on purpose, but **** 'em. I just ad-block them. But sacking Selvey so they can pay for more of this drivel is the reason why they'll go broke.

I'm a big fan of those; I particularly like the way they aren't ridiculously salty. Mind you, the little bits of carrot in the chicken ones always strike me as being a bit pointless.

Cultural appropriation, innit? Nonsense like that and identity politics in general is causing 'the left' to look more and more out of touch with reality, which I suppose should feel like a good thing to me. But part of me suspects that the lack of a viable opposition can't be a good thing.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Yes, there's actually a chap called Paul Joseph Watson who, while certainly being on the right side in this culture war, is rather an oddball. Then there's Alex Jones :-\

Every time I see the Paul Joseph Watson guy I think it's you.

It never is.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Only the campness is grating. Listen to his (3 hour) interview on The Joe Rogan Experience podcast and you will struggle to disagree with anything he says.

He's an unapologetic troll, but a smart one.

I don't mind the campness, I just find his desire to offend a little gratuitous. Not that I'm offended by people being offended, naturally. I just think that it's worth offending someone if you have a reason to, otherwise it's just offensive.

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:21 PM

He is at least bright and reasonably entertaining. Mind you, attacking SJWs is very much shooting fish in a barrel for anyone even half-intelligent. They are very much low-hanging fruit.

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:23 PM
I don't mind the campness, I just find his desire to offend a little gratuitous. Not that I'm offended by people being offended, naturally. I just think that it's worth offending someone if you have a reason to, otherwise it's just offensive.

I think it's got to the point where it's becoming necessary to offend just to assert the right to do so. Avoiding offence now starts to feel like kowtowing to those who are perpetually offended.

I'm starting to think that it's necessary to offend these people just to remind them that they haven't won. :-(

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:24 PM

I don’t think he’s particularly offensive. He said that black Ghost Busters actress looked like his ex-boyfriend, which is probably a bit rude, but I don’t think he’s said anything much worse than that.

He did write a story under the headline, “What would you rather your child had: Islam or Cancer?” which you’d need a heart of stone not to laugh at.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:25 PM
He is at least bright and reasonably entertaining. Mind you, attacking SJWs is very much shooting fish in a barrel for anyone even half-intelligent. They are very much low-hanging fruit.

I was reading the first chapter of Tom Sharpe's Ancestral Vices recently, in which he mercilessly skewers the sanctomious, joyless, earnest lefty, in 1979. He is almost cruel. Dear God in heaven, what stuffs he would have to work with today!

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:26 PM
I think it's got to the point where it's becoming necessary to offend just to assert the right to do so. Avoiding offence now starts to feel like kowtowing to those who are perpetually offended.

I'm starting to think that it's necessary to offend these people just to remind them that they haven't won. :-(

But if you become ill-mannered then they have won. :-(

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:27 PM
I don’t think he’s particularly offensive. He said that black Ghost Busters actress looked like his ex-boyfriend, which is probably a bit rude, but I don’t think he’s said anything much worse than that.

He did write a story under the headline, “What would you rather your child had: Islam or Cancer?” which you’d need a heart of stone not to laugh at.

But he claims to enjoy being passed around groups of black men, which is offensive to groups of white men.

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
I was reading the first chapter of Tom Sharpe's Ancestral Vices recently, in which he mercilessly skewers the sanctomious, joyless, earnest lefty, in 1979. He is almost cruel. Dear God in heaven, what stuffs he would have to work with today!

But they're far beyond his parody of them now and showing no signs of slowing down. The illiberal, joyless, humourless, virtue-signalling, racist and anti-intellectual groupthink that now obtains in modern universities is genuinely scary. There were always right-on lefties in universities (it being their natural home), but it's now enshrined in the culture and rules of these places. To question these positions is now tantamount to heresy and punishable by witch hunt. It's genuinely bad out there and getting way past a joke. :-(

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:32 PM
But he claims to enjoy being passed around groups of black men, which is offensive to groups of white men.

Which is why I've always said your mum and him would get on like a house on fire

09-14-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm a big fan of those; I particularly like the way they aren't ridiculously salty. Mind you, the little bits of carrot in the chicken ones always strike me as being a bit pointless.

Cultural appropriation, innit? Nonsense like that and identity politics in general is causing 'the left' to look more and more out of touch with reality, which I suppose should feel like a good thing to me. But part of me suspects that the lack of a viable opposition can't be a good thing.

Agree about the lack of a viable opposition. Especially now with Labour incompetence meaning that, as with the Brexit debate, it's basically a Tory civil war. We need to have an alternative govt in waiting ti hold the govt to account. But Lab are more concerned about their own civil war.

re:Identity politics and the left. I have noticed in the last few years that BTL on the Graun, there is a feeling of us lefties realising that the emperor's got no clothes. Comments that a few years back would have had many replies shouting "racist" are now getting 4 figure recommends. I really do think things are changing.

And many of us are realising that just shouting "Islamophobe" at people raising genuine concerns {as opposed to purely racist ones} has been counter productive. It hasn't made the problem go away as we had hoped, it's just leading to a rise in the far right vote across the continent.

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Every time I see the Paul Joseph Watson guy I think it's you.

It never is.
Comes up on my email all the time - for the not me twitter account which I set up as a conspiracy theorist spoof type but soon realised it was impossible to spoof that which is so ****ing out of here in the first place

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Which is why I've always said your mum and him would get on like a house on fire

:-( Now I'm triggered. Whatever that means.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:36 PM
But they're far beyond his parody of them now and showing no signs of slowing down. The illiberal, joyless, humourless, virtue-signalling, racist and anti-intellectual groupthink that now obtains in modern universities is genuinely scary. There were always right-on lefties in universities (it being their natural home), but it's now enshrined in the culture and rules of these places. To question these positions is now tantamount to heresy and punishable by witch hunt. It's genuinely bad out there and getting way past a joke. :-(

The whole grammar school debate has got me thinking about my kids' education. I can't bear the thought of their brains being poisoned by this kind pervasive bull****. what the **** do I do? It genuinely scares me. Ill end up despising my own kids :-(

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Oh certainly. Hell in a handcart is upon us. This is why I am relieved that I am almost dead.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:37 PM
The whole grammar school debate has got me thinking about my kids' education. I can't bear the thought of their brains being polluted by this kind pervasive bull****. what the **** do I do? It genuinely scares me. Ill end up despising my own kids :-(

You could home school them.

They'll definitely end up balanced, sane individuals.

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:38 PM
But if you become ill-mannered then they have won. :-(

No. They want you browbeaten into unquestioning silence, conformity, complicity and uniformity. It therefore behoves anyone of any spirit to figuratively shout 'BÓLLOCKS!!!' at the top of their voice, bare their arse at the po-faced ****ers and let rip a monumental fart.

There are times when rudeness, vulgarity and a willingness to offend are the only proper responses.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 02:39 PM
No. They want you browbeaten into unquestioning silence, conformity, complicity and uniformity. It therefore behoves anyone of any spirit to figuratively shout 'BÓLLOCKS!!!' at the top of their voice, bare their arse at the po-faced ****ers and let rip a monumental fart.

There are times when rudeness, vulgarity and a willingness to offend are the only proper responses.

But, but, won't they be offended? THESE PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO A SAFE SPACE FOR FÚCK'S SAKE!

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Oh certainly. Hell in a handcart is upon us. This is why I am relieved that I am almost dead.

Of course these people clearly don't know their Newton and cannot grasp that people like Trump and Farage are very much the inevitable consequence of their persistent and oppressive idiocy over several decades.

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:44 PM
You could home school them.

They'll definitely end up balanced, sane individuals.

:nod: I do think these chaps who build cabins in the boondocks, own lots of guns and refuse to let the government anywhere near their families may have a point.

Ash
09-14-2016, 02:44 PM

The Alt-Right enthisiasm for being deliberately racist and then justifying it as free speech is not remotely helpful though, as it only lends legitimacy to those trying to curtail free speech.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:45 PM
:nod: I do think these chaps who build cabins in the boondocks, own lots of guns and refuse to let the government anywhere near their families may have a point.

But seriously man, what would you do if you were still bringing up sprogs?

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:48 PM
But, but, won't they be offended? THESE PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO A SAFE SPACE FOR FÚCK'S SAKE!

Well this is the most pernicious idiocy of all. People have been encouraged to think that their feelings of offence are every other ****'s problem rather than just theirs. Someone takes offence and the whole world is expected to jump into line to make them feel better. It's like closing down a restaurant because one of the diners doesn't like their meal. I fùcking hate it.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:51 PM
The Alt-Right enthisiasm for being deliberately racist and then justifying it as free speech is not remotely helpful though, as it only lends legitimacy to those trying to curtail free speech.

Who are you defining as the alt-right? They are a pretty disparate bunch, as far as I can tell.

World's End Stella
09-14-2016, 02:56 PM
The whole grammar school debate has got me thinking about my kids' education. I can't bear the thought of their brains being poisoned by this kind pervasive bull****. what the **** do I do? It genuinely scares me. Ill end up despising my own kids :-(

Send them to an elitist boarding school, job done.

Burney
09-14-2016, 02:57 PM

I know what you mean and am inclined to agree, but the problem is that I don't even know what 'racist' means anymore, a.

Society having (correctly) given the thin end of the wedge in trying to avoid discrimination, overt racially offence and other forms of bigotry, the identity politics movement has used people's discomfort with such things to lever the thing open and shove all sorts of specious nonsense into the resulting gap. We are now at the point whereby any criticism of a non-white person, a female public figure or a gay person will sooner or later be met with an accusation of racism, sexism, homophobia or whatever.

In that environment, I can sort of understand the instinct of a sceptical young person brought up in this stifling intellectual atmosphere to simply say 'Fúck it. Might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb' and push the offence as far as they can.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I understand it.

Brentwood
09-15-2016, 11:14 AM

Install the Opera browser and switch on the free VPN, then they can't detect your IP

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/04/free-vpn-integrated-opera-for-windows-mac/